3D-printed guns are getting better

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: 3D-printed guns are getting better

Post by Suck My Glock »

BigNate wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:53 am It will be interesting to see how the advent of metal filaments advances the world of 3D printed guns. I'm having a hard time imagining the ability to print parts that require VERY hard / durable parts (barrels, bolts, etc.) but the rest of the gun... well... I see no reason why not...
Metal 3D printing already exists, but the machines are still very expensive. But they have come down from 1 million dollars to now only about $100,000. Eventually they might come down to $10,000. They are unlikely to replace forged parts, but could do quite a bit.

BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Suck My Glock wrote: March 15th, 2023, 9:41 am
BigNate wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:53 am It will be interesting to see how the advent of metal filaments advances the world of 3D printed guns. I'm having a hard time imagining the ability to print parts that require VERY hard / durable parts (barrels, bolts, etc.) but the rest of the gun... well... I see no reason why not...
Metal 3D printing already exists, but the machines are still very expensive. But they have come down from 1 million dollars to now only about $100,000. Eventually they might come down to $10,000. They are unlikely to replace forged parts, but could do quite a bit.

Sounds like it's moving into the consumer printer space... sorta...

From: https://all3dp.com/2/3d-printer-metal-f ... tal-parts/

"A key benefit of metal filament is how easy it is to print with on a regular 3D printer. Just note that, by “regular”, we mean any FDM printer with a heated bed and a hardened steel nozzle that can reach the required temperatures of at least 180 ºC to 220 ºC. In theory, this means that you don’t need an expensive machine; you can print it on machines under $200, like an Ender 3 or Anet A8."

Does not look like it's "all the way there" yet - but its headed that way...
Mojeb21
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Mojeb21 »

That kid Hoffman is genius. I follow his stuff