Gun Builds in Progress?

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
the1_roadrunner
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Gun Builds in Progress?

Post by the1_roadrunner » October 4th, 2018, 6:25 pm

noveskePbbl7.jpg
The Genesis of an AR pistol. This is a Noveske 7.5" Diplomat barrel. They refer to it as as their 7.5" match grade barrel. IMO categorizing a 7.5" barrel as "match grade" is a little silly but we shall see.
Barrel is now at Robar in Phoenix for stainless steel blackening. I'll post more as I procure additional components. Robar ECD is 11/12. I'll post pics when I get it back. They've blackened other SS barrels for me and always excellent results.
Last edited by the1_roadrunner on October 16th, 2018, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the1_roadrunner

Post by the1_roadrunner » October 9th, 2018, 3:35 pm

Great! Robar came through ahead of schedule. :D
In fact, so far ahead I haven't ordered the Geissele rail yet. It will be a 7" MK13.
Also, I just ordered a Vltor MUR upper with shell deflector and forward assist.

More on the black finish (off Robar's website)-
"This process produces black coatings on stainless steel and alloy steels by a “conversion” process. The chrome in the stainless steel is involved in a chemical reaction with the oxidizers in the solution producing chrome-sulfide.
The application of the black finish is dependent upon the surface treatment of the steel. Bead blasted surfaces will have a satin black appearance while a surface blasted with aluminum oxide will be matte in nature.
Importantly, dimensional changes involved in blackening are extremely small, less than 0.0001 Mil. This thickness of the black oxide type coating ranges from 0.00006-0.0001 Mil depending on the type of alloy being treated.
Blackening of stainless steel not only makes the weapon more attractive but adds to its corrosion resistance (96 hours salt spray per Mil-C-13924B) and aids in preventing galling, common in stainless steel guns."

Ok, I need to clarify their description of dimensional changes. 0.0001 Mil is incorrect. It's 0.0001 of an inch. In US engineering terms Mil is the equivalent of .001 of an inch (btw, the word has nothing to do with millimeter).
So saying the thickness is .0001 of one Mil is incorrect. They mean it's .0001".
Also, the photo doesn't do the finish justice. It's a very beautiful deep black.
Attachments
NoveskeBlack.jpg
Last edited by the1_roadrunner on October 16th, 2018, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the1_roadrunner

Post by the1_roadrunner » October 13th, 2018, 3:35 pm

PistolBuild4.jpg
Update, my Vltor upper came in today. UPS transferred it to USPS once in Phoenix (what's with that? They do that a lot recently). My mailbox is about 100 yards down the road so since it's pouring down rain I drove my truck to the mailbox lol.
Anyway, here's how it looks so far. The gas block and tube were included with barrel from Noveske via Midway. I've had a Noveske Gen 3 stripped lower in my safe for a year or so that expenditure long forgotten. I hate to use a $300 lower for a pistol build but I often end up switching uppers/lowers around on my various ARs anyway. It's perfectly legal to convert a pistol to a rifle, just not the other way around.
The rail and Smith FS tracking say coming Thursday. I've found LaRue always has the best price on Smith Vortex FS's and Midway again had the best price on MK13 Geissele Rail.

ETA- the difference in the edge profile of the upper and lower above and rear of the take down pin is absolutely not noticeable once a charging handle is is
installed.
Attachments
PistolBuild5.jpg

Return to “DIY, Building, Gunsmithing and Custom Firearm Work”