Penlight style LED flashlight?

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
kptaylor
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Penlight style LED flashlight?

Post by kptaylor »

Any recommendations on an LED flashlight in a penlight style? Would prefer at least 100 lumens and rechargeable via a USB port would be nice. Had a cheap one from Amazon but it wasn't waterproof enough (I guess) and one drop in the water and it filled up the "sealed" lens portion...

Any recommendations or ones to steer clear of?

impulse

Re: Penlight style LED flashlight?

Post by impulse »

pneuby

Post by pneuby »

I have been a fan of this one now about two years. As I lose them, I buy another, LOL. Slightly thicker tube than the StreamLight above, and the light grip pattern works great. Tail-button projects enough to be able to use it in two-handed gun grip if need be. I've only found the orange colored one in-stock once, and the one I miss the most. Much easier to see it in a pile of crap, LOL, or when you drop it.

https://www.511tactical.com/edc-pl-2aaa.html
kptaylor

Post by kptaylor »

Both look good but still just IPX4 rated. Would like IPX7 or 8 if possible. Saw this Fenix light, but it's warm white versus bright white and only 90 lumens.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld05- ... -lighting/
impulse

Post by impulse »

It says right there it is 100 lumens. And why are you stuck on white vs warm?

If it doesn't have to be pen, I love this light. Carried it for 8 years. Been through the washing machine more than once. https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e12-led-flashlight/ 130 lumens single AA
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

I've had great luck with Fenix lights. If you truly believe that you'll ever be able to see the difference between a 90 lumen light, and a 100 lumen light, you're kidding yourself.

Using lumens as an indicator is a flawed yardstick, in the first place. A "floody" light will not appear as bright as a light with a tighter, more concentrated beam, even if they are determined to be throwing the same amount of lumens. Also, some manufacturers are very generous when they advertise the lumens of their flashlights, and some manufacturers are more conversative, and more accurate. It also depends on how/where the lumen measurement is being taken. Don't go nuts worrying about a few lumens here or there, be more concerned about the reputation of the manufacturer.

My personal preference is for lights that use a single battery. Then, there's no concern about the "balance" of the batteries, which can cause issues.

Also, be *just* as concerned with the lowest setting on a flashlight, as the brightest (especially on a small, multi-purpose EDC light). While a bright flashlight is great, and impressive, it's often the low setting that I find myself using more frequently, like at least 10 times more frequently than the brightest setting. First, because in a some low-light situations (movie theaters, restaurants, etc) where the blazing bright beam will not only annoy and distract others, it can also work against you, reflecting off of surfaces (good luck using a 100 lumen beam to read a laminated menu)...but it will also leave you with momentarily compromised vision, once you turn the light off. Secondly, if you should find yourself in some rather long-term situation where you are wanting light for some hours...an extremely low setting (like around 3 lumens, to as little as .1 lumen) will provide a usable amount of light (in near pitch black circumstances), but will have runtimes in the 20, 50, or even upwards of 100 hours or more, as opposed to perhaps one or two hours (if that) on a 100 lumen AAA light.

It also depends on what sort of UI (User Interface) you want, do you want programmable, last mode memory, the order of the modes (H, M, L,...L, M, H, or M,H,L), "hidden" modes, strobe, SOS, battery polarity protection, thermal shut-off, a more floody beam, or focused beam, or in between, tritium slots, pocket clip, construction material (aluminum, stainless steel, copper, brass, polymer/plastic, titanium), weight (see material), orange peel reflector, anti-reflective lens coating, level of water resistance (keep in mind, an exposed USB port will compromise water resistance)???

There are many fine manufacturers. Fenix, Streamlight, Lumintop, Jetbeam, Acebeam, Zebralight, Olight, and dozens of others. If you'd like to learn more about flashlights than you ever suspected was possible, or ever wanted to know...or you'd like to become addicted to a rather silly (and ridiculously expensive) hobby...go to Candlepower forums.com.

Good luck!
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

we (first responders) use these here at the station, they are BRIGHT, and the USB recharging makes them nice
doubletapp

Post by doubletapp »

I picked up a Thrunite TI4 over 3yrs ago and still going strong
kptaylor

Post by kptaylor »

Thanks guys, appreciate all of the additional info. I do like the Fenix lights due to their water proof ratings given my recent issues. I'll have to rethink the penlight size since I like that E12 one, too.
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

kptaylor

Post by kptaylor »

Decided on a Fenix but the ThruNite doesn't look bad either! My primary issue is the IP rating since there's a possibility of it dropping in the water. The water resistant ones may not be enough and would void the warranty if I do drop it again. The Streamlights aren't bad but the IP rating has me wary of them honoring the warranty if I accidentally submerge it.
tdog90yj

Post by tdog90yj »

I run a 2x and 1x AAA steamlight non rechargeable and haven’t had any issues with it. My 1xAAA light has inadvertently made it through a couple of wash cycles and is no worse the wear. I’m pretty happy with them.
impulse

Post by impulse »

kptaylor wrote: June 24th, 2020, 12:21 pm Decided on a Fenix but the ThruNite doesn't look bad either! My primary issue is the IP rating since there's a possibility of it dropping in the water. The water resistant ones may not be enough and would void the warranty if I do drop it again. The Streamlights aren't bad but the IP rating has me wary of them honoring the warranty if I accidentally submerge it.
You'll love the E12. The single AA sold me, their single AA headlamp is sweet as well.
kptaylor

Post by kptaylor »

Yep, already received it, too! It's nice and small, perfect for pocket carry.