Ear Pro to use w/carbine

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Ear Pro to use w/carbine

Post by smithers599 »

I have Dillon and Howard Leight electronic muffs. Can't use either one with a carbine; the earcup bumps against the stock and I can't get my cheek firmly on the stock.

Who makes the slimmest electronic muffs, that allow for a decent cheekweld?

Dace

Re: Ear Pro to use w/carbine

Post by Dace »

I use Howard Leights. How exactly are you mounting the rifle? I have never had an issue with them.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Dace wrote: June 12th, 2020, 12:27 pm I use Howard Leights. How exactly are you mounting the rifle? I have never had an issue with them.
I looked in the mirror. It is not the thickness; it is the length. The bottom of the earcup bumps into the top of the stock -- not much, maybe a quarter inch, but it is distracting. Dislodges the muffs just slightly. I guess my cheekbone is a quarter inch off milspec.
I have found the solution, though. I am going to buy Walker electronic plugs. Problem solved.
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

MSA SORDIN
PELTOR / WALKER'S

The one's with the "cutout," are the ones you want to help with shouldering rifles and shotguns.

The plugs are good too, but I have never had them. They even have blutooth.

Just always been doing it the old way...
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

smithers599 wrote: June 12th, 2020, 1:07 pm
Dace wrote: June 12th, 2020, 12:27 pm I use Howard Leights. How exactly are you mounting the rifle? I have never had an issue with them.
I looked in the mirror. It is not the thickness; it is the length. The bottom of the earcup bumps into the top of the stock -- not much, maybe a quarter inch, but it is distracting. Dislodges the muffs just slightly. I guess my cheekbone is a quarter inch off milspec.
I have found the solution, though. I am going to buy Walker electronic plugs. Problem solved.
Yep Problem solved with Walkers. That's how I solved shooting any rifle. They are pretty effective on reducing the noise level, and can still have casual conversations. The only downside the controls suck and the batteries are hard to find (I believe Size 10).
Flash

Post by Flash »

storage_man wrote: June 13th, 2020, 3:44 am Yep Problem solved with Walkers. That's how I solved shooting any rifle. They are pretty effective on reducing the noise level, and can still have casual conversations. The only downside the controls suck and the batteries are hard to find (I believe Size 10).
Size 10 are easy to get on Amazon and cheap too.
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

Reading the reviews on the walkers people are saying the muffs amplify all sounds in both speakers and not side specific like the Howard Leights. Anyone experience this? I feel that gives the howard Leights an advantage. I used to think the howard Leights where the slimmest I could get with decent protection for rifle use. Are the walkers that much slimmer?
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

DRTDIVR wrote: June 13th, 2020, 10:00 am Reading the reviews on the walkers people are saying the muffs amplify all sounds in both speakers and not side specific like the Howard Leights. Anyone experience this? I feel that gives the howard Leights an advantage. I used to think the howard Leights where the slimmest I could get with decent protection for rifle use. Are the walkers that much slimmer?

The Walker's and Howard's are about the same in size.
Howard does market directional microphones.
Walker's has them in the upgraded models.
The direction has never been an issue with me.
The Walker's mics are pretty sensitive.
Dace

Post by Dace »

smithers599 wrote: June 12th, 2020, 1:07 pm
If its a height issue Walkers are a good option.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

I have Proears but the MSA SORDIN are my next set of muffs.

https://proears.com/electronic-hearing- ... ld-series/