Lightweight Hunting

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
Joelgas1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Lightweight Hunting

Post by Joelgas1 »

I’m doing my first hunt in 5B South this Oct 16th and looking for some light weight hunting attire. I know there are some really high end and expensive jackets and gear, but I’m more of a value buyer. What are some of the good brands and gear on the cheaper side I should look for?

Lobo2087

Re: Lightweight Hunting

Post by Lobo2087 »

goodwill lots of good usable stuff there
Potatoes16

Post by Potatoes16 »

I don't hunt and more specifically, I don't know the terrain you are referring to.
But I always see clearance hunting/camo stuff at walmart when I have gone.
Hac

Post by Hac »

I heat up pretty quick in the winter. I have been big game hunting using wrangler outdoors stuff. I dont wear camo for big gaming. I only wear camo when I waterfowl hunt. I play the wind direction game, works well for me. Spend your money on comfortable clothes that are not in bright/loud colors. Use the layer system. I worry more about backpack and rifle weight. My 2 cents good luck sir. 5B south awesome early hunt. I'll be in there the first weekend in Oct for a youth cow hunt.
Last edited by Hac on May 28th, 2020, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wrenchman

Post by Wrenchman »

I bought most of my stuff at bass pro when they had their annual hunt event.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I don't wear anything different when I hunt than I do any other time of the year.
I do agree with making your , gear , pack and gun as light as possible though.
Joelgas1

Post by Joelgas1 »

Thanks for all of the good advice! Sounds like I won’t need to spend a fortune on clothing. I did buy some Danner boots on sale that should come in handy
tdog90yj

Post by tdog90yj »

Joelgas1 wrote: May 30th, 2020, 6:15 am Thanks for all of the good advice! Sounds like I won’t need to spend a fortune on clothing. I did buy some Danner boots on sale that should come in handy
That is the biggest piece I have learned big game hunting. Make sure your boots and socks are top notch. Nothing will ruin your day faster.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

tdog90yj wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 10:27 am
Joelgas1 wrote: May 30th, 2020, 6:15 am Thanks for all of the good advice! Sounds like I won’t need to spend a fortune on clothing. I did buy some Danner boots on sale that should come in handy
That is the biggest piece I have learned big game hunting. Make sure your boots and socks are top notch. Nothing will ruin your day faster.
Absolutely! I wear sock liners and tight-fitting hiking socks on top of that to keep from getting blisters. Also, consider investing in some fancy moisture-wicking underwear that keeps you dry and chafe-free between the legs. I think Bodyglide is also essential for long days as well.

I agree with Hac and Ballistic Therapy that camo usually isn't necessary for big game hunting. It could be helpful for antelope since they can spot you from a mile away, but they'll probably spot you with camo as well. Scent control should be your priority. For clothing, consider wearing light layers that you can add or shed throughout varying weather and think about the amount of noise that your clothing choices will make as you move around.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Uh break your boots in, can't tell you how many times have come across guys back in the day in new boots, coming up lame, blister can be the end of a possible good hunt,
and make sure truck is set up, the weather in Arizona is fickle, especially during hunting season,
having hunted just about every area, in the whole state, one can begin a hunt in am in light winter gear, end up in short sleeves at noon adn early pm, then later find one self in one helluva winter storm,
only took one time up on 12b, managed to get to truck and back to camp, and snowed in for three days. then a melt and mud, did i say mud, and blue bird weather for the last four days of hunt,
best of luck,
Rj
stomp442

Post by stomp442 »

I bought a set of these last season and I am glad I did. These are so light and cool and most of all comfortable and won't break the bank.

https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?cate ... zstype=REG
Edge

Post by Edge »

I'm leaving for a week in 5b south in the morning.
I'm assuming that's a rifle elk hunt? Elk have lousy vision, mostly see and are alerted to motion. If you're using bow or traditional muzzleloader a good scent blocker is a good idea and stay downwind.