How do I go about being tactical without being "tacticool"?

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
Cubiclerevolt
ArizonaShooting.org Member

How do I go about being tactical without being "tacticool"?

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

As the title suggests I am looking for an optimal set up as part of a get home kit that doesn't scream tacticool or I am some CoD wannabe.

It's fine if people have that stuff but I'm not an "operator" nor related to gecko45. I want have a setup that allows me to have extra mags and supplies to use to get home in case there was an emergency and I was not able to get home but not draw the attention of bad guys in a neighborhood.

What I am considering on running is:
A PCC that I can fold up in a backpack and keep a midsized compact pistol (G19, P229 etc) on me that is concealed.

- A couple of MREs (other small snacks like trail mix, beef jerky.)
- lifestraw (if my kid is with me he can just share mine)
- 2 packages of electrolyte mix
- extra socks, hot weather clothes, pair of flexible but durable shoes
- wet wipes
- Flashlight
Everyone says pack paracord but I don't know what I would use it for tbh.
- small and medium sized folder
- firestarter
- Basic IFAK covers blue nitrile gloves and some items I kept from my time as an RT. (mouth to mouth barrier) ibuprofen, asprin, sunscreen, sanitizer.

Trying to find the balance of a plate carrier that I can conceal it without it being too obvious but offers adequate protection to recommend.

Streamlining my bag to be both lightweight and but maximized on being able to get home. Good chance I would possibly have my young teenage son with me. So I am wondering what I should pack for him as well.
Last edited by Cubiclerevolt on April 22nd, 2020, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smithers599

Re: How do I go about being tactical without being "tacticool"?

Post by smithers599 »

Get a backpack that is a non-tactical color -- blue or red or green, but not black, coyote brown, OD, or god forbid camo.

Change of clothes in the car, in case you get stuck wearing bym shorts and flip-flops. Next time you replace your running or walking shoes, use the old ones as part of your kit. Use old clothes that you would otherwise have given to Goodwill; you don't need them to last for years, just to get home. Make the shirt be blue instead of khaki or OD.

In my go bag, I have a size 40 leather belt, with holes punched in it every half inch down to size 28, so (almost) anybody can use it.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

smithers599 wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 5:33 pm Get a backpack that is a non-tactical color -- blue or red or green, but not black, coyote brown, OD, or god forbid camo.

Change of clothes in the car, in case you get stuck wearing bym shorts and flip-flops. Next time you replace your running or walking shoes, use the old ones as part of your kit. Use old clothes that you would otherwise have given to Goodwill; you don't need them to last for years, just to get home. Make the shirt be blue instead of khaki or OD.

In my go bag, I have a size 40 leather belt, with holes punched in it every half inch down to size 28, so (almost) anybody can use it.
This is great info. Thank you.

Most of the time this is how I am walking around due to coming out of the gym sweaty in a rashguard or pair of board shorts so thats what I wanted to keep the other stuff. Will keep those in my car and take them out of the bag. I also have a small camelback that can hold 2 litres plus a hydro flask.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

AZ1182 wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 5:37 pm If I was trying to do what you're doing, I'd look into at first the PCC, do you want a brace or a stock? The stock puts you into NFA territory, not necessarily a bad thing to get what you want but there are some whom get unhinged at what others do or prefer. If going for the brace and not NFA, the best brace for me has been the Tailhook Mod 2: https://gearheadworks.com/product/tailhook-mod-2-black/ as it has no wobbly rubber to mess with a good cheek weld. For folding it, well prepare to hate money again: https://www.primaryarms.com/law-tactica ... -and-ar308

Get a lower and upper with a BCG that accepts Glock mags, so both the 19 and your PCC accepts the same magazines when in a pinch.

Just my take at least, and I'm not a Jason Bourne either. If you have any questions, just ask as I don't mind.

Come to think of it, I'm not a PCC fan myself but a PCC in .357 Sig that uses Glock mags with a G32 companion does sound interesting.

Oh, and 550 cord has an amazing amount of uses, such as assisting with the assemblies of temporary shelters using a poncho as the roof, hanging things up to keep out of the dirt and elements, slings in a pinch, etc.
This is great info. Almost considering on purchasing another glock and getting a roni. Man that part is super expensive but the tailhook looks really interesting.
guardyan_angyl

Post by guardyan_angyl »

I’ve been considering one of these for get home situation. I only work 35 miles from home but it’s going to be a rough 35 miles if something happens. Especially if something really bad happens and I have to hit the mountains to get there. It takes Glock mags and folds down nicely. I know 5.11 is an expensive option but I am kind of liking there new AMP series of packs and carriers.

B48C83E3-2245-4FB9-96A3-265322B144DD.jpeg

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-r ... istol/amp/
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

guardyan_angyl wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 5:59 pm I’ve been considering one of these for get home situation. I only work 35 miles from home but it’s going to be a rough 35 miles if something happens. Especially if something really bad happens and I have to hit the mountains to get there. It takes Glock mags and folds down nicely. I know 5.11 is an expensive option but I am kind of liking there new AMP series of packs and carriers.

B48C83E3-2245-4FB9-96A3-265322B144DD.jpeg
See you're thinking like me.

That's where my CZ scorpion comes into play. I'm not a cast member for red dawn but make some tweaker trash and some bugs think twice about looking my way.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Smallest, least expensive PCC option that takes Glock mags is the KelTec Sub2K. Good gun, easily fits in backpack. Mag matches your Glock. Won’t be super upset if it gets stolen.

Scorpion and Ruger are great options, but I’d be more pissed if a $1,000 Scorpion got stolen than a sub $500 Keltec.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I think PCCs are great on the whole, but only because their lack of punch compared to a rifle is counterbalanced by the fact they can be quiet and use common mags and ammo as the sidearm. A 9mm carbine or handgun won't punch through a car as reliably as an AK, so as cool as a nifty little folding-braced Scorpion or similar weapon can be,...it'll never be the can opener an AK will. And so I think one should carefully consider what shorty braced pistol for packing through the Valley of Death would really be best suited to the task.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Ruger PC Carbine. Nice little takedown that also takes Glock magazines. I have a KelTec that I absolutely love, but I wouldn't trust it for my survival needs personally.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

Suck My Glock wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 12:21 am I think PCCs are great on the whole, but only because their lack of punch compared to a rifle is counterbalanced by the fact they can be quiet and use common mags and ammo as the sidearm. A 9mm carbine or handgun won't punch through a car as reliably as an AK
Good points however I would like to add for consideration.

Everyone knows the only safe places to be in a car that isn't reinforced is behind the tires OR getting behind the engine block.

I am looking for accuracy, keeping quiet and not drawing attention to myself.

Walking down the street in a chest rig, EBR and all that is going to draw a lot of negative attention.

a month or 2 after a catastrophic event, not so much.

Things I am considering is: Power grid going down, EMP, hard left groups like black bloc, antifa, BLM types to riot and attack business near where I work innocent people and flip over cars.
Last edited by Cubiclerevolt on April 23rd, 2020, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

Dupe.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

QuietM4 wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 7:02 pm Smallest, least expensive PCC option that takes Glock mags is the KelTec Sub2K. Good gun, easily fits in backpack. Mag matches your Glock. Won’t be super upset if it gets stolen.

Scorpion and Ruger are great options, but I’d be more pissed if a $1,000 Scorpion got stolen than a sub $500 Keltec.
How would I lose it though?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Most people leave a kit in their car. Cars get broken into. Backpacks get stolen. s*** happens.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

QuietM4 wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 8:33 am Most people leave a kit in their car. Cars get broken into. Backpacks get stolen. s*** happens.
With me at all times. But I get you.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

What you want is something learned. It's hard to tell you what you want. What I was issued was what the Gov. thought I needed. It took time to learn what worked for me. We modified half if not all of what was given to us. I guess all I can tell you is K.i.s.s , keep it simple ,stupid.