How do I go about being tactical without being "tacticool"?

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
Maestro
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: How do I go about being tactical without being "tacticool"?

Post by Maestro »

Out of curiosity, why is everybody so set on a PCC? I understand compatible magazine and ammo, but I still think I would prefer a rifle caliber.

jes3se

Post by jes3se »

I think, depending on your neighborhood and such, the key to not being tactical is to dress like you belong there. Old gym shoes, and a t shirt will probably draw less attention than a pair of Merrels, 5.11 pants and an Under Armor polo.

The hard part about a backpack isn’t finding a non-tactical one, it’s finding a non tactical bag that has the functions you want from a tactical bag. I’ve seen some skateboard style bags that draw little attention, but you could pretty easily still strap something large to the outside and have enough room inside for whatever you want.

It is all about compromise, but I feel like I generally get less attention in khaki shorts and a plain t shirt than the guys who wear photography vests in the summer heat here.

Holsters the same way, a good concealed holster is going to go a lot further in not drawing attention than a drop leg competition rig. A bag from rei will be more “slick” than a molle covered assault pack. Just my $.02. Which is probably worth less.
AR-15Man

Post by AR-15Man »

Add something less lethal to your bag. Tasers are good for individuals but some of the larger pepper sprays works for groups. They’re quieter than a rifle and don’t carry the extreme consequences of a rifle.

Realistically, whatever situation required you to use your get home bag will end at some point and then the police will be looking for the guy who shot 5 people with a rifle in broad daylight on a city street corner.
Attachments
E0C33D0F-FE07-491D-BF42-2F0B4981031C.jpeg
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

This is all great additional info.
Pscipio03

Post by Pscipio03 »

I'm seeing combos of get home bag and bug out bags. Two separate things.
At home I have an ILBE ruck with clothes, a hand pump water purifier, 550 cord, duct date, med kit and two extra CAT's, a tarp, a book on edible plants in a ziploc freezer bag, and an empty 100oz Camelback.
I can't think of a situation where I won't have enough time to grab food from the pantry and an AR or AK with a good loadout. If whatever the situation is that puts me into a "You've got 3 min to GTFOOD" scenario, I'm pretty much already screwed. And, my priority is my family anyway.
As for a get home bag that is always in my car- smaller ILBE assault pack with- 4 28 oz water bottles; solar blanket; mirror; 10 protein bars, IFAK and 3 tourniquets; and two pairs of socks. I carry with 2 extra mags (one stays in the car) everywhere, so figure 15+17+17+1 should hopefully get me far enough away to be fine. Before I moved here from Michigan, I had 2 bottles of 28 oz water and 20 protein bars. Here, water is more important.
People go WAY overboard on the crap they put in their bags whether get home or bug out. And, anyone who's ever done a 10+ mile forced ruck march will tell you that oz's = lbs and lbs = pain.
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

Cubiclerevolt wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 5:12 pm As the title suggests I am looking for an optimal set up as part of a get home kit that doesn't scream tacticool or I am some CoD wannabe.

It's fine if people have that stuff but I'm not an "operator" nor related to gecko45. I want have a setup that allows me to have extra mags and supplies to use to get home in case there was an emergency and I was not able to get home but not draw the attention of bad guys in a neighborhood.

What I am considering on running is:
A PCC that I can fold up in a backpack and keep a midsized compact pistol (G19, P229 etc) on me that is concealed.

- A couple of MREs (other small snacks like trail mix, beef jerky.)
- lifestraw (if my kid is with me he can just share mine)
- 2 packages of electrolyte mix
- extra socks, hot weather clothes, pair of flexible but durable shoes
- wet wipes
- Flashlight
Everyone says pack paracord but I don't know what I would use it for tbh.
- small and medium sized folder
- firestarter
- Basic IFAK covers blue nitrile gloves and some items I kept from my time as an RT. (mouth to mouth barrier) ibuprofen, asprin, sunscreen, sanitizer.

Trying to find the balance of a plate carrier that I can conceal it without it being too obvious but offers adequate protection to recommend.

Streamlining my bag to be both lightweight and but maximized on being able to get home. Good chance I would possibly have my young teenage son with me. So I am wondering what I should pack for him as well.
Any decent size sling pack will fit a KelTec sub 2k and the contents you listed.
I would add water bottles or canteens.
For the youngster, https://www.ar500armor.com/backpacks/ph ... kpack.html

Just my 2 cents, if it's an emergency: everyone on foot will be noticed.
Regardless of your load-out.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

Shootist wrote: May 20th, 2020, 4:19 pm Any decent size sling pack will fit a KelTec sub 2k and the contents you listed.
I would add water bottles or canteens.
For the youngster, https://www.ar500armor.com/backpacks/ph ... kpack.html

Just my 2 cents, if it's an emergency: everyone on foot will be noticed.
Regardless of your load-out.
This is great. Thank you. Yeah we both have hydro flasks and was planning on keeping an imitation camelback in my car. I usually keep a case of water in the trunk to use to fill those up. Water is going to be hot, but beats drying up like jerky.
kmj831

Post by kmj831 »

Interesting thread. I keep a set of clothes/shoes, 1st aid kit, some water and sometimes a spare pistol in my truck and in my wife's car, but never considered a PCC (had to google the term lol). Used to have a .357 lever action to match I revolver I used to have, that was fun. Had no idea though that so many PPC's were in production.

Sure can get hits on target fast with them.
kmj831

Post by kmj831 »

Oh, and I use one of these. Doesn't stick out, in my opinion.

https://vertx.com/concealed-carry-bags-and-packs
Heominhon
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Heominhon »

You might wanna check out TechWear trend which they emphasize Functionality and modern Material. I wear either a Nike ACG coat or an Arcteryx long jacket, these will cover your belt setup. You can also mix a Vertx bag or Mystery ranch backpack and you still look very “fashionable” while retain all the tactical advantage
Silverback

Post by Silverback »

Your initial list looks to me like it is going the right direction. Getting home from wherever is going to be less about winning a gun battle and more about avoiding one and survival. I keep water, food, life straw, basic medical supplies, and multitool, binoculars, and a full set of clothes for hot weather with base layers I can add for cold weather all in a high quality back pack. I have a very minimal old eagle chest rig that holds a few magazines, a flash light, and a radio. It has a map slip inside so I update the map whenever I go far enough from home that I might need it to get back. Gloves, broken in boots, extra socks, a few other odds and end.

Don't let yourself stray into armor, helmets, all that extra crap is just extra crap. You are trying to get home from camping/hiking/hunting/work I am guessing, not from mogdishu.
McKnight55

Post by McKnight55 »

This might be what you have in mind.

https://www.tactical.com/how-to-be-a-gray-man/

"The gray man is invisible. He is undetectable, unremarkable, and flies by a hysteric crowd like a stealth aircraft. The gray man can bug out safely to a secure location without raising any flags, or bug in without being suspicious to the Joneses."
Silverback

Post by Silverback »

I forgot to mention in earlier post (went and di a once over after reading this list) if you wear glasses or contacts having backups and or cleaning stuff in there is good and I have a solar charger that will work for radio or phone.