Holster Recommendations

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Holster Recommendations

Post by Boriqua »

AZ_Five56 wrote: April 12th, 2020, 8:21 pm
thom wrote: April 12th, 2020, 7:01 am Reconshawn makes them to fit you specially for your purpose. Give him a call in Mesa. 201-317-2421
I was just messaging with reconshawn about getting one made. I'll hopefully get that done in the next couple of weeks.

I've been all over the map on what I want, but I think what this all boils down to is multiple holsters for multiple carry situations.
Good point on multiple holsters! If I know I will be wearing all day and might be hiking (I spend a lot of time in the desert shooting photos) and it might involve climbing over this or crawling under branches ... Its leather all the way. The edges soften slightly where it might rub your skin it doesnt bobble or move and it starts to twist slightly to conform to your body over use.

For an 6 hour day out playing .. its leather .. But .. I always have an IWB in kydex for anytime I think I need deep concealment .. rare and they usually sit in the drawer but they are cheap enough to have if I need it.

And at some point I pick up a kydex paddle usually if I know my day will involve playing around water. So I usually have the three for any gun I own but my leather is the one I use most often.

Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

impulse wrote: April 13th, 2020, 8:22 am ... but the kydex adds durability and safety over a traditional all leather holsters.
Can you please expound on that statement? That has not been my experience. I like and use Kydex but have never found durability issues from leather. As for safety, I would think that's a reflection of the holster design, whether kydex or leather, and not the material.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Gatsby wrote: April 14th, 2020, 4:44 am
impulse wrote: April 13th, 2020, 8:22 am ... but the kydex adds durability and safety over a traditional all leather holsters.
Can you please expound on that statement? That has not been my experience. I like and use Kydex but have never found durability issues from leather. As for safety, I would think that's a reflection of the holster design, whether kydex or leather, and not the material.
My biggest concern with leather is the material deforming around the trigger guard and snagging.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

impulse wrote: April 14th, 2020, 9:45 am
Gatsby wrote: April 14th, 2020, 4:44 am
My biggest concern with leather is the material deforming around the trigger guard and snagging.
I've heard that some leather holsters can flex and try to squeeze the firearm as your trying to unholster, but I get that feeling that those are really cheap examples and not typical at all. Has anyone had experience with that?
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

That has absolutely not been my experience. I've carried Gov't 1911s in leather for almost 50 years and never even heard this. I'm sure someone, somewhere bought a crap leather holster, didn't take care of it, left the pistol in the holster and stuck it in a closet and this happened but otherwise I'm not convinced.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Garrett or Kramer......Kramer having a 20% sale going on right now, outstanding holsters.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

Kramer's horsehide is the best!
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Gatsby wrote: April 15th, 2020, 3:01 am That has absolutely not been my experience. I've carried Gov't 1911s in leather for almost 50 years and never even heard this. I'm sure someone, somewhere bought a crap leather holster, didn't take care of it, left the pistol in the holster and stuck it in a closet and this happened but otherwise I'm not convinced.
I figured that could be attributed to a low-quality example or some kind of user error. Thanks for chiming in!
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

A couple of recommendations for Kramer... They must be good, but dang, so expensive! I guess you get what you pay for. 20% off helps a little.
Rocky Pure Kustom
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Rocky Pure Kustom »

A properly fitted leather holster cause the least wear, also more comfortable.
SecretV

Post by SecretV »

I've been using a White Hat Holster for my glock since 2012. I'm not gentle on it. I can't even recount how many times I've smashed the front of my hip against, block walls, cars, or concrete (I'm not the most graceful). I've crawled on my belly to get stuff underneath my vehicle when installing things or running wiring. Smacked it with stuff while doing yardwork. In the 8 years I've owned this thing I've had to fix one thing on it and that was operator error. I neglected to check how tight some of the screws where for the kydex portion and one of them came loose and was lost to the either. I had extras from when I bought it so that was fixed relatively quickly. Back in 2012 I went through so many holsters, it's an unfortunate fact of life that not all of us are shaped exactly the same. I imagine you'll have to do that song and dance too. I second what someone said on here that you'll need multiple ones for different locations/situations. However the one I wear or use the most is my White Hat hybrid holster. Even when I'm out and about in the desert I'll just un-tuck my shirt and tuck it behind it to do a iwb open carry. I've never really worried about slide wear since I don't have a gucci sidearm to me it's just a tool. My significant other hates it. She ended up getting a hybrid holster from GunGoddess. It is way more adjustable as far as cant and rise (i'm kind of jealous of it). The negatives of the hybrid style holsters is mainly due to poor design choices on some manufacturers. They don't have enough options for cant or rise etc. Another potential negative is that leather takes time to form to your weapon and body. I'd say mine started feeling right after two AZ summers of sweat and heat forming it to my weapon and body. Thicker leathers are more durable, but less pliable so wear in period takes longer. This is where the GunGodess one's have me extra jealous there's still a wear in period, but you can see that there's a vanity layer, the main layer, and the comfort layer. I've attached some pics my holster only affords straight up and down adjustment, hers has a slight curvature to the adjustment that makes a world of difference with fit. Only time will tell as far as longevity. Other considerations do you have taller sights than normal? Will you be rocking an optic? What about a light attachment? Matching magazine carriers?
Attachments
20200629_142810_2.jpg
20200629_142646_2.jpg
20200629_142853_2.jpg
SecretV

Post by SecretV »

PS those pictures were taken prior to an unfortunate seafaring mishap.