Holster Recommendations

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Holster Recommendations

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I'm in the market to buy a new holster for my HK USP Compact. Any recommendations for something comfortable for waist carry?

I know holster wear is inevitable, but are there any holsters/materials that will slow the progression of wear?

Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Holster Recommendations

Post by Boriqua »

You can minimize holster wear by having a smooth interior. Don't go for suede or suede like especially in our dusty environment or you just created sandpaper.

Find a holster or commission one that is fabricated of 2 layers of leather glued together back to back so it is smooth inside and out. Easy to blow out with air.

Leather has it's draw backs especially in wet but for wear all day... You just can't beat it for comfort
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Thanks for the recommendation! I did hear that suede slowly accumulates dust. I'll keep an eye out for leather as you mentioned.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

AZ_Five56 wrote: April 10th, 2020, 3:13 pm Thanks for the recommendation! I did hear that suede slowly accumulates dust. I'll keep an eye out for leather as you mentioned.
If you have a hard time finding one you might try

https://leatherworker.net/forum/

Plenty of people who will take commissions but as with any open board ..some are awesome and some are just starting out.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I'll have a look through their forum and see what I find. I already saw a few out there that mostly fit my criteria, but custom could be nice if the price isn't crazy.

Thanks again!
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

I personally love Kydex, not leather. But no particular reason why. Easy to get custom holsters made.

Contact reconshawn here on the site if you want something made in kydex.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Comp-Tac for 3-4 oclock, Tier 1 for appendix.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Thanks for the additional recommendations!

impulse, what did you like about the Comp-Tac holsters? I was leaning away from Kydex, but I'm still open to it.
thom

Post by thom »

Reconshawn makes them to fit you specially for your purpose. Give him a call in Mesa. 201-317-2421
Geekmedic

Post by Geekmedic »

For belt carry I use the Blade Tech holsters and have really enjoyed them. For IWB carry I have been really happy with Wepleadthe2nd holsters. They are made here in Tempe. http://wepleadthe2nd.com. If you are really worried about holster wear I suggest you check out Garrett Industries https://www.giholsters.com/. They make a kydex holster called 'Silent Thunder' that is lined with leather. I have one of their holsters for my 1911 and it is the most comfortable IWB holster I own.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Thanks again for the recommendations. The Garrett Industries Silent Thunder sounds very interesting with mixing materials. I'll definitely check those out! Holster wear isn't the biggest deal in the world, but just trying to slow it down if I can.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

The best thing to do is bite the bullet and order a well fitting quality leather holster from a well known maker. Galco is a factory, not like Sparks, Kramer, Tucker, etc. yet they charge as much. There is a reason folks wait six months for a Milt Sparks, they're worth it. But there are often used ones for sale. A great holster and gun belt makes all the difference in comfort and wear.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

thom wrote: April 12th, 2020, 7:01 am Reconshawn makes them to fit you specially for your purpose. Give him a call in Mesa. 201-317-2421
I was just messaging with reconshawn about getting one made. I'll hopefully get that done in the next couple of weeks.

I've been all over the map on what I want, but I think what this all boils down to is multiple holsters for multiple carry situations.
thom

Post by thom »

He has made IWBs and OWB for me. For different pistols. And then I needed a dropdown. He made that also.
impulse

Post by impulse »

AZ_Five56 wrote: April 11th, 2020, 11:04 pm Thanks for the additional recommendations!

impulse, what did you like about the Comp-Tac holsters? I was leaning away from Kydex, but I'm still open to it.
My first holster was the Comp-Tac Minotaur, which looks like they aren't making anymore. But it was one of their hybrid holsters. Half leather, half kydex. So comfort wise it blows all kydex out of the water, but the kydex adds durability and safety over a traditional all leather holsters.