Seatback PALS Panels ???

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
Harrier
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Seatback PALS Panels ???

Post by Harrier »

Anyone try any of the seat-back PALS panels in their vehicle to attach Molle gear... similar to this?

https://www.amazon.com/Yawayda-Organize ... =8-33&th=1

I want to hang some pouches in my truck and I see a number of these seat-back panels available on Amazon etc, so I'm looking for a good set but am hesitant to order anything online as I have seen failures in the cheap Chinese products using an inferior material to construct the PALS web.

Usually, the background material is a decent ballistic nylon although some also have a poly water-proof backing that drys out and cracks under our desert conditions. What I have found is that a thinner, poly material is sometimes used for the actual PALS webbing which then deteriorates over a couple of years from UV or age or something, and breaks/comes apart.

I had a very well made range bag that used this crap for the handles and shoulder strap. One day, carrying this load down a hill to the range, the handles gave way and at the same time the strap came apart, dumping the bag in the dirt.

So I'm looking either for brands to stay away from because they are junk or those that have proven to put out a quality product.
hell, I can't even pronounce this brand....
Any help here?

WRMorrison

Re: Seatback PALS Panels ???

Post by WRMorrison »

I've had the Smittybilt set before in my Jeep (very similar to the one shown). They're made in China (probably), and I had them in the Jeep for a few years. No doors/top, and they were beat on by the weather and the sun and still held up great. They're a great way to store emergency accessories.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14070_990X_PG.htm

-WRM
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Thanks... I saw those and felt a slight pain in my lower left rear.... I just cried a lot over the price of the truck....
No doubt this brand has a reputation for top quality but when I noticed the made in China, I wondered if they were any good or only good intentions. They look great in the pictures...the wide attachment straps are sturdy plus they are a bikini seat cover with front pockets too. Are they only made to fit Jeep?

Coverking makes a nice full cover (USA) with rear panel & pouches for about $200 and their Skanda line in multicam for $300.

I was going to go with those but decided I'll probably never wear out my OEM seats, so for now I am going to try and get off a little cheaper, with just the back panel and use some of the extra molle pouches I have laying around. What I have in mind is a durable PALS webbing like found on GI gear, not thin disintegrating airsoft crap. I see a number of these advertised on various sites but for $20 to $50, they all look to be made of the same cheap material - its hard to tell quality from pics.

About the only way is to either get an opinion from someone who bought one or order a bunch and send the losers back (this is where Prime has some value). ... maybe I'm overthinking this but that's the engineer in me...
Here are some pics to further help visualize what I'm talking about...

Although the strap appears heavy enough, the weave feels thin and allows it to weaken and come apart...
P1080020.jpg
Hanging the case from a strap doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore... When will it give?
P1080036.jpg
I used an old web belt to make the range-bag strap D ring repair ...
P1080026.jpg
This pouch uses ballistic fabric to make the PALS web, allows a little space for the Molle straps to fit thru and appears to have good stitching... this is what I'm looking for...
P1080033.jpg
this Maxpedition uses a good strap (so far)- used as EDC for 5 or so years.
Although made with a poly fabric notice the weave.
P1080038.jpg
and here are some examples of the cheap fabric I'd like to avoid...
Made from the same stuff as the handles & shoulder strap, I'm concerned weighing it down attaching pouches with actual gear will cause the fabric to separate.
P1080032.jpg
These are sewn too tight to easily get the molle straps woven correctly.
P1080028.jpg
This material seems to work for a non-stress point like a flap closure... it still feels flimsy...
P1080023.jpg
From looking at these details, it appears to me the thin crap-strap may be weakened by the stitching operation, then lets go over time. IIRC, I've had 3 or 4 of these failures and all have been near stitch points... hmmmm.
Last edited by Harrier on January 18th, 2021, 3:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

I'm not sure if it would fit an F-150 or not; haven't really looked into it. But, to me they didn't seem like they were a "Jeep-only" product; seemed a bit universal to me (as long as you have similar bucket seats).

I was happy with them as far as durability and value; I just didn't like people going through my stuff when I had the doors off (which was 99% of the time), so I got rid of them.

I'd bet that if you went to one of the larger Jeep meet-n-greets you'd run into somebody who has them and could check them out in person. Might also hit up some of the local offroad stores (4WheelParts, Desert Rat, etc.) and see if they have any in-store to check out.

-WRM
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Good Ideas, I've gone to all the usual suspects nearby so I guess I'll do a few tactical traffic runs... IIRC I think there's a Rat over on Alvernon or Ajo... maybe one in the Kolb area ... wonder if Sportsmans Whse has anything?
where's my jungle suit?
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

There is a Desert Rat on 22nd at Kolb. They have a ton of really neat tacti-cool things for trucks and Jeeps, and seem to be decent folks.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

DR, Pep Boys, WalMart... Nada
guardyan_angyl

Post by guardyan_angyl »

Personally I have never tried them but these guys are out of Phoenix I believe.

https://www.tacticalairusa.shop/seat-organizer
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

There's going to be an East side Jeep owner meet-n-great in a few weeks if you feel like attending to see if anyone else is using something similar:

Wednesday, January 15th
5-9PM
Nicantoni's Pizza
323 South Gilbert Road
Gilbert, AZ 85296

-WRM
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Thanks for the info,
Seems like anymore you spend more time driving around searching for something than ordering it.
I spent the better part of a day driving around trying to find someplace that had one in stock so I could see how it was constructed.... I think I'll just order a few online and send the ones I don't like back. I have enough gear around here to compare with ...
Torsf_az
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Torsf_az »

I'd go with the coverking. Depending on your seat material, they are much easier to clean up. It looks a lot cleaner too than hanging things from the headrest.
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

I wish I could remember the name of the ones I last bought for the Jeep before I sold it. They were pricey, but the fit was awesome. Plus, they covered the entire seat, came in different colors/inserts, and the entire back was covered in MOLLE loops. If I can remember what they were, I'll chime in.

-WRM