Watches

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Watches

Post by Flash »

Interesting you mention getting rid of your watch as I shoot two days a week with a mostly retired group of guys and gals and most of them did the same.

While I carry a cell phone it's quicker and easier for me to look at a day/date watch and see if I'm on time for appointments and things like that.

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

I ended up with the Citizen PCAT AT4129-57H.
Attachments
watch.PNG
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Citizen makes a good watch, the only issue I had with mine was the side push buttons would eventually get gummed up and I had to take it in for cleaning... make sure you get a watch shop that knows what they're doing- the last one really screw my watch up then couldn't/wouldn't fix their mistake. The other thing was all the time-distance-fuel dials were printed too small to read, especially in low light situations, so it was functionally useless for me.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Harrier wrote: December 30th, 2019, 6:11 pm I took off my watch when I retired... These days every day is Saturday... time of day usually has no meaning...
If I need to know what time it is I look at my computer or cell phone. Still, some are a nice piece of bling for that special occasion.

ETA... Well, sometimes Time does have meaning....
Time to Eat, Time to take a nap, Time to go to the Dr., Time to go shooting...
My primary transport is 2 wheels and a fair sized watch is still the easiest and fastest way for me to tell the time when on the bike and the less goobldygook on the face the better. A big analog with bright hour and minute hands is about perfect.

Like most computer'y things now my bike dash has a clock .. and about 50 other bits of information all jammed into about a 5x4" space. I will be sticking with my watch :mrgreen:
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

haven't worn a watch in 30 years, dang things never worked well on me, they all had short lives, now i could give a shiat what time it is, unless its closing time at mywater hole.
lol
rj
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

I always kept a watch on the duty belt. Ones on your wrist dont last thru too many disagreements.

Before long they will implant one under the skin or inside your eye or some other type of heads up thing.

And everyone will have to have one.
Jamnmike

Post by Jamnmike »

+1 on the citizen eco drive. I have the nighthawk model. Love it. No batteries needed EVER!
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

Everyone has a cell phone that keeps as good or better time than a Rolex.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

AZ Husker wrote: March 28th, 2020, 12:05 pm Everyone has a cell phone that keeps as good or better time than a Rolex.
You can't browse the internet on a Rolex. And my phone automatically adjusts the time.

Not on board with the Rolex train. I'm afraid I'll scratch my $400 Citizen, I can't imagine worrying about a $10,000 watch.
AZGlock21

Post by AZGlock21 »

But a Rolex never loses value. Buy a Sub, wear it for 5 years and it will be worth more than you paid.
thsiao
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by thsiao »

Have you considered a marathon watch? I have a few and honestly, you can’t go wrong

https://www.marathonwatch.com/
Flash

Post by Flash »

AZGlock21 wrote: March 28th, 2020, 4:54 pm But a Rolex never loses value. Buy a Sub, wear it for 5 years and it will be worth more than you paid.
But if you take the money you pay for a Rolex and put it in an Index fund it will be worth a lot more than the Rolex would be after 5 years and a ton more after 20 years.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Jamnmike wrote: March 28th, 2020, 10:35 am +1 on the citizen eco drive. I have the nighthawk model. Love it. No batteries needed EVER!
Bad part about the Ecodrive is you need to wear it to keep it going. Mine is always dead, as I might only wear it once a month.

The automatic timezone adjustment is a pain in the ass as well. If you're somewhere that is near a radio tower in one timezone, but you are actually in a different one (like on lake Powell), it will auto-adjust even when the DST is turned to off.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

XJThrottle wrote: March 29th, 2020, 11:34 am
Jamnmike wrote: March 28th, 2020, 10:35 am +1 on the citizen eco drive. I have the nighthawk model. Love it. No batteries needed EVER!
Bad part about the Ecodrive is you need to wear it to keep it going. Mine is always dead, as I might only wear it once a month.

The automatic timezone adjustment is a pain in the ass as well. If you're somewhere that is near a radio tower in one timezone, but you are actually in a different one (like on lake Powell), it will auto-adjust even when the DST is turned to off.
I bought my father a Citizen eco-drive for Father's Day a few years ago....this is his only complaint about the watch. Granted, he did keep it in a drawer for 3 months...but now he keeps it on a window sill in his bathroom, plenty of sunlight. I do the same for my eco-drive, since I don't use it daily.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

I used to keep mine in one of the gun safes, thought the lack of light liked it. So, I just set it on top with a window a few feet away. Still dies.