Fat Guy Holster Anyone?

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
OMart
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Fat Guy Holster Anyone?

Post by OMart »

Why I pocket carry. I buy Wrangler cargo pants that stretch a bit and the pockets are huge. I lose pens in my pockets because they are so big. Also the Dickies ripstop cargp pants have fairly large pockets too but not as big as the Wrangler ones

YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

OMart wrote: April 25th, 2023, 12:33 pm Why I pocket carry. I buy Wrangler cargo pants that stretch a bit and the pockets are huge. I lose pens in my pockets because they are so big. Also the Dickies ripstop cargp pants have fairly large pockets too but not as big as the Wrangler ones
I would consider pocket carry if I wasn't a big guy. My legs are giant and pocket carry would leave a noticeable bulge sticking out. I wear size 52 waist and my legs are just as big.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

As a fat guy - I'm subscribing
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

BigNate wrote: April 28th, 2023, 9:25 am As a fat guy - I'm subscribing
I'm still hoping that @kenpoprofessor pops up with the info and that kydex koozie thing he was referring to. :D
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

YotaSauce wrote: April 24th, 2023, 8:53 pm
kenpoprofessor wrote: April 24th, 2023, 2:09 am
mallic wrote: April 24th, 2023, 1:58 am I've had good luck with the Aliengear Cloaktuck 3.5. I am 6'4 and about 350 lbs and it sits comfortably. Has a neoprene backing, so it wicks really well.
I saved a ton of money by just making a neoprene wrap for my cheap holster. A friend named it the Kydex Koozie, and those who have tried it swear by it.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
@kenpoprofessor So what is this "Kydex Koozie" you speak of. Pics? Links?

Is it custom fit or is it some type of Frankenstein Holster? Thanks in advance!
I make them myself from 5mm neoprene.

Clyde
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

kenpoprofessor wrote: May 5th, 2023, 2:58 pm
YotaSauce wrote: April 24th, 2023, 8:53 pm
kenpoprofessor wrote: April 24th, 2023, 2:09 am

I saved a ton of money by just making a neoprene wrap for my cheap holster. A friend named it the Kydex Koozie, and those who have tried it swear by it.

Clyde
@kenpoprofessor So what is this "Kydex Koozie" you speak of. Pics? Links?

Is it custom fit or is it some type of Frankenstein Holster? Thanks in advance!
I make them myself from 5mm neoprene.

Clyde
Thanks for this... I might have to dig out the Mrs's sewing machine and try to make something like this. A couple of questions...
1) Do you use a specific type of thread for sewing the neoprene? Google-foo tells me "bonded nylon sewing thread" for neoprene - but anything more specific than that?
2) Is there a "better" neoprene material for this - or is it simply any 5mm neoprene? Yours looks to have an almost terrycloth surface on the outside - looks comfy...

Thanks in advance...
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

BigNate wrote: May 8th, 2023, 8:58 am

Thanks for this... I might have to dig out the Mrs's sewing machine and try to make something like this. A couple of questions...
1) Do you use a specific type of thread for sewing the neoprene? Google-foo tells me "bonded nylon sewing thread" for neoprene - but anything more specific than that?
2) Is there a "better" neoprene material for this - or is it simply any 5mm neoprene? Yours looks to have an almost terrycloth surface on the outside - looks comfy...

Thanks in advance...
Bonded nylon thread, yes, neoprene needs covering so it can run through the sewing machine, otherwise it gets stuck. You can use 2,3, or 4mm neoprene, more than 5 doubled and it doesn't fit in the machine, so I just went with the thickest I had. I found some 7mm and could only get a few inches into it before it stopped pulling the material and got stuck. And yes, it's quite comfy, most time I forget I have it on me and have to tap my waist to make sure it's there. If you're at RJ's BBQ, I'll show you what I've got in person.

Clyde
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

kenpoprofessor wrote: May 8th, 2023, 9:47 am
BigNate wrote: May 8th, 2023, 8:58 am

Thanks in advance...
Bonded nylon thread, yes, neoprene needs covering so it can run through the sewing machine, otherwise it gets stuck. You can use 2,3, or 4mm neoprene, more than 5 doubled and it doesn't fit in the machine, so I just went with the thickest I had. I found some 7mm and could only get a few inches into it before it stopped pulling the material and got stuck. And yes, it's quite comfy, most time I forget I have it on me and have to tap my waist to make sure it's there. If you're at RJ's BBQ, I'll show you what I've got in person.

Clyde

Thanks much...
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

Sorry, but all I get is "image", no pics. Could you repost the images or a link to them? Thanks.
Chico
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Chico »

I'm 6'6" 320 and I carry a full size M&P in a Galco KingTuk Cloud. It is very comfortable.
https://www.galcogunleather.com/kingtuk ... _1552.html
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

I bought one a few years back and it rides too low for my preference. When I wanted to return it, they wouldn't take back the nearly new in box Glock 17 holster. Not like they couldn't resell it in a hot minute.