holster recommendations

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
doubletapp
ArizonaShooting.org Member

holster recommendations

Post by doubletapp »

just picked up a G27 & I'm looking at holsters will most likely carry AIWB any suggestions

RufusXG

Re: holster recommendations

Post by RufusXG »

wepleadthe2nd in tempe is a good local custom holster provider.

https://wepleadthe2nd.com/
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Alex, Boriqua, a member here, is a great local custom holster maker.
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

My every day is from MDJ Holsters off ebay. I use their IWB small print for appendix. Have bought a few other things from them, all good quality. Says their in PHX.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IWB-Kydex-Leat ... 890.l49292
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Make sure you get a holster for designed specifically for AIWB, there must be 10 solid choices nationwide. I have a Spencer Keepers, but you cant go wrong with JM Custom kydex, PHLster, or Dark Star Gear. There's more, but I can't recall quickly off the top of my head.
Listen to the top trainers out there- they've been there and done that.
tlieberman240

Post by tlieberman240 »

T-Rex Arms and Tier 1 Concealed are my 2 go-to companies for appendix carry holsters.

Good customer support and quality products with lots of custuomization available.
freefly

Post by freefly »

Pro2a wrote: May 16th, 2021, 11:04 am Make sure you get a holster for designed specifically for AIWB, there must be 10 solid choices nationwide. I have a Spencer Keepers, but you cant go wrong with JM Custom kydex, PHLster, or Dark Star Gear. There's more, but I can't recall quickly off the top of my head.
Listen to the top trainers out there- they've been there and done that.
+1

Add these to the list:

LAS Concealment.
Tenicor.
Garrett.
TXC.
Ben7

Post by Ben7 »

Another +1 for T-Rex. Ever since I got it for my G43, I haven’t carried anything else.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

LOL, you guys keep buying those expensive ass holsters, I'll stay with a $15 Ebay special with a 5mm Neoprene koozie on it. The Kydex Koozie we call it, and it literally is set it and forget it, you almost forget you're wearing your gun.

Here's my first attempt and prototypes.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Hmmmm, Kydex in neoprene...I assume the neoprene has to be replaced with regular wear?
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Pro2a wrote: May 26th, 2021, 3:21 am Hmmmm, Kydex in neoprene...I assume the neoprene has to be replaced with regular wear?
Yes, I would imagine, but these aren't hard to fabricate if you have the neoprene, takes about 30 minutes or less depending if the stitches are outside or inside.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
freefly

Post by freefly »

kenpoprofessor wrote: May 25th, 2021, 4:39 pm LOL, you guys keep buying those expensive ass holsters, I'll stay with a $15 Ebay special with a 5mm Neoprene koozie on it.
Just a few things:

1. "Expensive" is a relative term. For many, spending +/- $75 on a quality custom-fit holster for a $800+ gun isn't really a wallet-buster. Personally, I tend to not "cheap out" on gun-related stuff anymore, especially if it's for EDC. YMMV there I suppose.

2. I've purchased a few of those "Ebay specials" in the past (before I knew any better) and you typically get what you pay for. That is: Thin (often flimsy) Kydex, cheap hardware, lack of adjustability, sucky retention, etc.

3. In most cases, those Ebay specials only cater to the most common guns w/ standard configurations.
For instance, my current EDC is a P365XL with an Icarus frame, red dot, and TLR-7a light, and I am a lefty.
You are not going to find an Ebay special for it, configured for LH AIWB, and definitely not for $15.

I kinda like the neoprene idea though. However, you might try going with some 3M industrial double-sided adhesive (300LSE, etc.) for a cleaner look, and it would be quicker/easier than sewing. That's what a lot of the pro holster-builders use for external applications of "tactical fuzz" and cotton/cordura/etc. You might experiment with thinner material as well.

Cheers.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

freefly wrote: May 26th, 2021, 2:42 pm
kenpoprofessor wrote: May 25th, 2021, 4:39 pm LOL, you guys keep buying those expensive ass holsters, I'll stay with a $15 Ebay special with a 5mm Neoprene koozie on it.
Just a few things:

1. "Expensive" is a relative term. For many, spending +/- $75 on a quality custom-fit holster for a $800+ gun isn't really a wallet-buster. Personally, I tend to not "cheap out" on gun-related stuff anymore, especially if it's for EDC. YMMV there I suppose.

2. I've purchased a few of those "Ebay specials" in the past (before I knew any better) and you typically get what you pay for. That is: Thin (often flimsy) Kydex, cheap hardware, lack of adjustability, sucky retention, etc.

3. In most cases, those Ebay specials only cater to the most common guns w/ standard configurations.
For instance, my current EDC is a P365XL with an Icarus frame, red dot, and TLR-7a light, and I am a lefty.
You are not going to find an Ebay special for it, configured for LH AIWB, and definitely not for $15.

I kinda like the neoprene idea though. However, you might try going with some 3M industrial double-sided adhesive (300LSE, etc.) for a cleaner look, and it would be quicker/easier than sewing. That's what a lot of the pro holster-builders use for external applications of "tactical fuzz" and cotton/cordura/etc. You might experiment with thinner material as well.

Cheers.
Nope, I like sewing, and I'm not interested in looks, the gun is damn near touching my dick anyway, and no one sees it. Comfort and comfort, and why spend the money for that expensive adhesive that may, or many not work on the neoprene I have as it has a fabric covering? And yes, the holsters are "inexpensive", but yet, if I handed you one, and asked how much do you think it costs, I think you might be surprised to see the quality, at least the ones I have. Thick Kydex with good Chicago screws for adjustment, and different size belt hooks options as well.

The guns I carry, quality guns that go bang and don't break the bank. I already know if I have to use it, I may never see it again if the police get involved, so why hand them thousands of $$ worth of merchandise??? My Glock 43s were both under $400, the Ruger LC9sPro, under $200, and the M&P Shield .45, under $250. All guns utilize the same procedural memory, draw, present, bang, no safeties and no conflicts, and always a hot one in the tube.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day.

Clyde
Last edited by kenpoprofessor on May 26th, 2021, 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

tlieberman240

Post by tlieberman240 »

To each their own I guess. I'll gladly spend a little extra on a quality product that retains a piece of equipment I'd trust my own life with, and is custom made to the spec of the item I'm carrying.

I don't even notice mine when I'm wearing it around town or in the car. Lots of adjustability is built in to get it to fit exactly how I want, so it's no issue for me.