holster recommendations

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
kenpoprofessor
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: holster recommendations

Post by kenpoprofessor »

freefly wrote: June 9th, 2021, 3:27 pm
kenpoprofessor wrote: May 26th, 2021, 2:59 pm I'm not interested in looks
kenpoprofessor wrote: June 5th, 2021, 7:29 am Yes, it's still ugly, not as ugly as the Ptanks though.
WUT? :think: :doh: :confusion-questionmarks: :D
Hey, I own a Hi Point, there isn't much uglier than that. So no, I'm not interested in looks, I'm interested in function. Ever hear the term "butterface"? :o :mrgreen:

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde

Tinman87
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Tinman87 »

I’m a little late to the party, but I’m partial to the Galco Paragon and Quicktuk Cloud.
Whitelife

Post by Whitelife »

YNOTAZ wrote: February 12th, 2021, 7:01 pm Alex, Boriqua, a member here, is a great local custom holster maker.
+1
Whitelife

Post by Whitelife »

kenpoprofessor wrote: May 26th, 2021, 2:59 pm
freefly wrote: May 26th, 2021, 2:42 pm
kenpoprofessor wrote: May 25th, 2021, 4:39 pm LOL, you guys keep buying those expensive ass holsters, I'll stay with a $15 Ebay special with a 5mm Neoprene koozie on it.
Just a few things:

1. "Expensive" is a relative term. For many, spending +/- $75 on a quality custom-fit holster for a $800+ gun isn't really a wallet-buster. Personally, I tend to not "cheap out" on gun-related stuff anymore, especially if it's for EDC. YMMV there I suppose.

2. I've purchased a few of those "Ebay specials" in the past (before I knew any better) and you typically get what you pay for. That is: Thin (often flimsy) Kydex, cheap hardware, lack of adjustability, sucky retention, etc.

3. In most cases, those Ebay specials only cater to the most common guns w/ standard configurations.
For instance, my current EDC is a P365XL with an Icarus frame, red dot, and TLR-7a light, and I am a lefty.
You are not going to find an Ebay special for it, configured for LH AIWB, and definitely not for $15.

I kinda like the neoprene idea though. However, you might try going with some 3M industrial double-sided adhesive (300LSE, etc.) for a cleaner look, and it would be quicker/easier than sewing. That's what a lot of the pro holster-builders use for external applications of "tactical fuzz" and cotton/cordura/etc. You might experiment with thinner material as well.

Cheers.
Nope, I like sewing, and I'm not interested in looks, the gun is damn near touching my dick anyway, and no one sees it. Comfort and comfort, and why spend the money for that expensive adhesive that may, or many not work on the neoprene I have as it has a fabric covering? And yes, the holsters are "inexpensive", but yet, if I handed you one, and asked how much do you think it costs, I think you might be surprised to see the quality, at least the ones I have. Thick Kydex with good Chicago screws for adjustment, and different size belt hooks options as well.

The guns I carry, quality guns that go bang and don't break the bank. I already know if I have to use it, I may never see it again if the police get involved, so why hand them thousands of $$ worth of merchandise??? My Glock 43s were both under $400, the Ruger LC9sPro, under $200, and the M&P Shield .45, under $250. All guns utilize the same procedural memory, draw, present, bang, no safeties and no conflicts, and always a hot one in the tube.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day.

Clyde
eBay does sometimes have horsehide own holsters not to bad either
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Clyde shared a few of his kydex renditions and their neoprene cover, and have to say, most damm comfortable holster i've ever had iwb.

i carry a shield or a g2 or g3c typically, just to get to my truck, then the real shiat happens.

Rj
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

knockonit wrote: January 5th, 2022, 2:21 pm Clyde shared a few of his kydex renditions and their neoprene cover, and have to say, most damm comfortable holster i've ever had iwb.

i carry a shield or a g2 or g3c typically, just to get to my truck, then the real shiat happens.

Rj

Carlos named them, he calls them the "Kydex Coozie", but I'll call them the "Kydex Comfort Coozie" :D

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Cjhollenshead

Post by Cjhollenshead »

Jm4 tactical, carry my 365 AIWB and absolutely love this holster. If you do get one make sure you get the “high ride” version, standard is too low
tripletap

Post by tripletap »

i need something for my p365- im thinking about a pocket slip holster
Bigjav_40

Post by Bigjav_40 »

I need one for a hellcat any recommendations
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

tripletap wrote: June 5th, 2022, 1:04 pm i need something for my p365- im thinking about a pocket slip holster
I have an Aker leather OWB coming for my 365XL. These are specific molded for the gun unlike others that use general sizing. I have other aker holsters are they are great.

Also have a couple IWB holsters I want to try for it too but they are generic sized so will see how the retention is.

I found it was kinda difficult finding a specific holster for the 365xl, I dont particularly car for kydex either so that limits options.
MK18_Obe

Post by MK18_Obe »

I rotate between the Tenicor and Trex arms Sidecar for my S&W M&P Shield. Tenicor is a lot more comfortable but sometimes I appreciate the convenience of having a spare magazine.
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

Didn't see anyone mention Comp Tac. Lately, EDC has been the EV2 Max. Like it so far. I'm a fan of the leather kydex hybrids.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

tripletap wrote: June 5th, 2022, 1:04 pm i need something for my p365- im thinking about a pocket slip holster
https://www.vedderholsters.com/pocket-locker-holster/
tripletap

Post by tripletap »

looks like i got 2 or 3 holsters to buy n try
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

RufusXG wrote: February 12th, 2021, 4:49 pm wepleadthe2nd in tempe is a good local custom holster provider.

https://wepleadthe2nd.com/
FWIW - I went down to We Plead the 2nd today. I came away feeling like they are very good people, who know their stuff and care about their products and customers. They are making me a custom IWB that should be ready in the next few days. I'll let you know whether the product lives up to my initial experience - if it does I'll be a happy kid.

For people who like to paint up their guns with all kinds of artsy Cerakote (not my bag) - it looks like they do a ton of that stuff as well. While my "function over form" mindset leaves me with no interest in an AR with handguard that looks like a stone castle (castle doctrine reference I assume) - it did look like really cool work for those who like showing off such things.

EDIT: We Plead the 2nd delivered - faster than committed by a large margin, and my immediate impressions of the holster are that it is very well built. We discussed features for the holster when I placed the order (e.g. coverage for the optic etc.) and he was willing to build it with some of this in place and if I didn't like it he would / could trim it back as desired after the fact. Lots of knowledge and focus on customer service. In addition, he noted from my license that I was a veteran and discounted my order without me asking for it. The price for a custom holster for my gun / light / optic combo was more than the price for an e-bay / amazon holster but substantially less than ordering from T-Rex or a couple of the other higher-end makers that I researched. I'm a fan - and will buy from them again.