Concealed Carry Permit

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
Ballistic Therapy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Concealed Carry Permit

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I hear all the advantages of having a concealed carry permit.
I have never had one , nor have I ever needed one.

I was thinking about getting one and have been reading up on it.
Unless I am reading this wrong , I believe I found a couple problems with having one.

One is that if you have a permit , you can not cary a gun concealed unless you have the permit with you. What if I forgot my wallet ?

R13-9-205. Permit Holder Responsibilities
A. Upon request of any peace officer, a permit holder who is in
actual possession of a concealed weapon shall present the per- mit to the peace officer for inspection. If the permit does not include a photograph of the permit holder, the permit holder shall also present one of the following types of official photo- graphic identification:
1. Driver license issued by any state,
2. Military identification card,
3. Identification license issued under A.R.S. § 28-3165, or 4. Passport.

The other is that if your permit is lost or stolen then you can not carry a gun concealed until the permit is replaced.

R13-9-206. Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Concealed Weapons Permit
A. A permit holder whose Concealed Weapons Permit is lost, sto-
len, or damaged shall notify the Department in writing within 10 days of determining that the permit is lost, stolen, or dam- aged. When advised of a lost, stolen, or damaged permit, the Department shall invalidate the permit. The permit holder shall not carry a concealed weapon until the Department issues a replacement permit.
B. The Department shall issue a replacement permit to a permit holder who:
1. Submits a written request;
2. Submits the fee specified in R13-9-102; and 3. Returns the permit if it is damaged.
C. The Department shall ensure that the replacement permit has the same expiration date as the lost, stolen, or damaged permit.

So for all you internet lawyers or those who have recently slept at a Holiday Inn I ask.
Am I reading this right ?
It says nothing about Arizonas right to carry without a permit.

pvreb

Re: Concealed Carry Permit

Post by pvreb »

I think you are looking for a problem where it does not exist. Since Arizona allows concealed carry without a permit, why should there be a problem? The laws you quote were most likely written before the law allowing permitless concealed carry was enacted.
Ballistic Therapy

I am just reading what is on the DPS web sight that states the laws about getting a concealed carry permit.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I had heard the class was shortened as well. Took mine at scottsdale gun club probably 15 years ago when I still lived out there.

Its worth the $60 over 5 years just to be able to order up guns online and go to my favorite receiver and just drop down my DL and CCW, fill out the 4473 and walk out in minutes with a new gun after some chit chat.

I will say .. I didn't feel I learned anything of value even after the many hours of class time. Even in reflection I don't think anything I learned wasnt something any rational human with some common sense wouldn't have already known and the Shooting section was silly. Unless you know the instructor and they come highly regarded where it comes to relaying useful info .. I would take the shortest course possible and then seek out other instruction.

Classes right now during the gundemic are mothers milk. I was looking over the classes at Teds and they are offering a class on cleaning your handgun. $20 a head! Nice little chunk of change.

Anyone who is remotely qualified to give a class on anything gun related is taking advantage of the new gun owners ignorance. i am cool with it .. its America .. make what you can but .. buyer beware.
Ballistic Therapy

I have never had a waiting problem buying guns.
I fill out the 4473 and it has never taken more than 10-15 minutes to be walking out of the door.
I did buy a gun last Saturday at a second Amendment in Tucson and it took longer to fill out the paperwork than the background check took. They make you go into a back room , fill out the paperwork , then they look it over , then they have someone else look it over , then they have you go back out into the main store and wait for your name to be called.
It did take me about 30 minutes which is the longest it has ever taken.
Not to mention that they were packed with people buying guns.
There was a guy there that did have a concealed permit that went in right after me and I was done before he was.
etprescottaz01

Post by etprescottaz01 »

My wallet was lost, perhaps in the Jack In The Box parking lot on a Saturday, I'm not sure. Citizen found it and dropped it in a mailbox. Scottsdale post office recovered, found my CCW and called the AZ Dept. of Justice that then in turn called me and told me where I could pickup my wallet. Thanks again all of you that returned my wallet on that Monday just as I was noticing it was missing.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

I take a CCW class every few years to stay up to date on any law changes and how the political landscape is interpreting the laws.
cali_soobie
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by cali_soobie »

Hey Gang,
Could you please point me in the direction where I can find the timelines for non-resident CCW.
I live in DPRC (Democratic Peoples Republic of California) and would like to have one to conceal carry in AZ, NV and UT.
How long is the wait to get one these days?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

cali_soobie wrote: August 25th, 2021, 4:36 pm Hey Gang,
Could you please point me in the direction where I can find the timelines for non-resident CCW.
I live in DPRC (Democratic Peoples Republic of California) and would like to have one to conceal carry in AZ, NV and UT.
How long is the wait to get one these days?
There is no such thing as a "non-resident" CCW. We only have one CCW, and we don't care where you live. As long as you can prove you meet the requirements, you should be able to get one.
AZ223x556

Post by AZ223x556 »

I apologize for my ignorance as I am still getting a better understanding of local laws, but when it comes to concealed carry in AZ are you required to have a permit or does it just offer a few more "advantages" than if you were to go without it? When i've discussed this with people in the past i've gotten a variety of answers such as it is REQUIRED, RECOMMENDED, or just a general waste of time and money unless you intend to use the little perks that come with it like the purchasing process. I personally have never had any issues purchasing a new firearm and the process was not nearly as long or grueling as some can make it seem. Just curious what the general consensus is here.
glock holiday

Post by glock holiday »

…wrong post
Last edited by glock holiday on October 2nd, 2021, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

AZ223x556 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 10:57 am I apologize for my ignorance as I am still getting a better understanding of local laws, but when it comes to concealed carry in AZ are you required to have a permit or does it just offer a few more "advantages" than if you were to go without it? When i've discussed this with people in the past i've gotten a variety of answers such as it is REQUIRED, RECOMMENDED, or just a general waste of time and money unless you intend to use the little perks that come with it like the purchasing process. I personally have never had any issues purchasing a new firearm and the process was not nearly as long or grueling as some can make it seem. Just curious what the general consensus is here.
This may help? https://arizona.concealedcarry.com/why- ... ry-permit/
AZ223x556

Post by AZ223x556 »

This may help? https://arizona.concealedcarry.com/why- ... ry-permit/
[/quote]

Definitely helps, thank you!
dsgrntldPW22

Post by dsgrntldPW22 »

My original CCW permit required many more hours than the current standards and included range time. I think the permit is more needed today not just for the convenience when buying firearms but also for when I travel out of state. I was disappointed when they dropped the standards needed to obtain the permit, as I believed that some states stopped recognizing the AZ permit after that. AZ needs to upgrade their permit requirements so they are acceptable to all the states that allow reciprocity.
Twobadazbrothers

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

For me the advantage of being able to carry in Nevada is well worth the price and the ease of buying online and walking out after filling out a 4473 is also worth it .