Concealed Carry Permit

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Concealed Carry Permit

Post by BigNate »

AZ223x556 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 10:57 am I apologize for my ignorance as I am still getting a better understanding of local laws, but when it comes to concealed carry in AZ are you required to have a permit or does it just offer a few more "advantages" than if you were to go without it? When i've discussed this with people in the past i've gotten a variety of answers such as it is REQUIRED, RECOMMENDED, or just a general waste of time and money unless you intend to use the little perks that come with it like the purchasing process. I personally have never had any issues purchasing a new firearm and the process was not nearly as long or grueling as some can make it seem. Just curious what the general consensus is here.
In the past - the "main" advantage was the ability to legally carry concealed. This advantage is no longer really an advantage as our state has legalized concealed carry without a permit.

The ancillary advantages that remain (from my perspective) are:
1) Reciprocity - the ability to carry concealed in states other than AZ that offer reciprocity with AZ's law.
2) Simplified purchase process from FFLs / LGS. The reality is that it is already very fast - but my understanding is that having a valid CCW means that the federal background check is avoided - which speeds the process by a few minutes, and - more importantly in my opinion, reduces the opportunity for big brother to track who is buying what. Yeah - I know - they are not supposed to capture or save that information - but do you trust them? Really trust them? I don't.
3) The CCW permit makes it legal to carry in some places where the over-arching carry law does not (e.g. national parks, bars, etc.) While this may not be a big deal in practice - if you are carrying in one of those places and run into a law enforcement officer with an attitude problem towards concealed carry (not impossible) - you'll be glad to have the permit.
4) The class should provide a refresher on any changes to deadly force law in AZ.

Just my 2 cents.

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Twobadazbrothers wrote: February 19th, 2022, 3:22 pm For me the advantage of being able to carry in Nevada is well worth the price and the ease of buying online and walking out after filling out a 4473 is also worth it .
Primarily why I got mine.
hrob

Post by hrob »

Twobadazbrothers wrote: February 19th, 2022, 3:22 pm For me the advantage of being able to carry in Nevada is well worth the price and the ease of buying online and walking out after filling out a 4473 is also worth it .
This.
Reciprocity from a number of states and streamlining the purchase of firearms are the only reasons to obtain a CCW in Arizona.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

hrob wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 10:17 pm
This.
Reciprocity from a number of states and streamlining the purchase of firearms are the only reasons to obtain a CCW in Arizona.
Agree on both counts. Plus it is illegal to carry concealed in a place that serves alcohol, without a permit. With a permit, you can carry, but you can't drink. Since I rarely drink alcohol, it is nice to be legal when I go to a restaurant that serves wine, beer, etc. I wasn't going to drink anyway.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

smithers599 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:32 pm For me the advantage of being able to carry in Nevada is well worth the price and the ease of buying online and walking out after filling out a 4473 is also worth it .
FWIW

The CCW class I took mentioned, in the event you got into a shoot, a jury might look at your taking a CCW class as an indicator of responsible intent to carry. Or words to that effect.

Dunno if that is true, was a lawyer giving the class.