In what condition do you carry your 1911 in?

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Re: In what condition do you carry your 1911 in?

Post by Ranger1 »

Yes Even though there is a thumb safety you still have to depress to back strap safety. Once your in the holster you flick the safty off. Then u treat it like a glock.

Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Boriqua »

Mauser98 wrote: February 26th, 2019, 12:05 am The manual that the Ordnance department came out with in 1912 says "Do not carry the pistol in the holster with the hammer cocked and safety lock on, except in an emergency." Meaning that it can be done.

Be aware that it's possible the safety can accidentally move to the off position when it's in a holster.
I read that during the development of the platform it was intended to be carried at half cock and the hammer would be manually pulled to fire and there was no safety. Keep in mind these guys were coming off revolvers so it would be natural. Troops were taught to pull the hammer on the draw. There were problems with drop safety if it feel a certain way from horse back but more importantly the board was concerned about decocking while on a moving horse and after a few accidental discharges during trials they asked for the thumb safety so they could safely reholster.

So in reality It doesn't sound like it was the intention to be carried cocked and locked but was an unintended result.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Browning never intended it to have a thumb safety or back strap safety. Those were added for the military. So it was intended to be carried with no safety.

http://concealednation.org/2015/08/fire ... y-all-mean
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

I grew up hunting, so swiping a safety off is natural to me. I still catch myself trying to occasionally with a Glock!
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Has anyone ever pinned their back strap safety?
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Pin the grip safety or remove the mag safety in s w autos or remove the trigger safety in strike fired guns like Glocks....what could possibly go wrong? Probably nothing for most folks untill an oh s*** happens and you have to explain why sent a round negligently. Or worse someone else does it, like a kid.

It wont be very hard to prove criminal negligence in such a case. Civilly? Well the lower standard of proof means you're phucked 7 ways till Sunday there.

Accidents happen, hell bad sheit happens accidentally all the time, but doing something like disabling safety's prior to an accident, well legally that's negligence .

Unless you're Hillary Clinton or have a good lawyer and a sheit load of money you're probably phucked.

But you do what you think is best. A mans got to right? The probability that it will bite you in the ars is probably low. I'd move all my assets into a trust or give them to my kids early though. Why? Bad sheit happens all the time. That's why smarter gun folks than us came up with rules and training, to mitigate damage when bad sheit happens.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

AZ Husker wrote: February 28th, 2019, 12:51 pm I grew up hunting, so swiping a safety off is natural to me. I still catch myself trying to occasionally with a Glock!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I did it so often and got so used to it when drawing a 1911 that I find myself doing it even with a wheel gun.
Chris_Y

Post by Chris_Y »

Condition One here.
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

Condition 0 for me.
pvreb

Post by pvreb »

17-21-23 wrote: June 7th, 2019, 7:09 am Condition 0 for me.
IMO that is the same as carrying a glock (or similar). Different strokes for different folks.
azrik

Post by azrik »

True story...
My ex wife carrys a SIG 238 in her purse. (some carry a little dog in their purse, she carries a little 1911) We had this going discussion about condition 1 carry as she carried C3. A friend asked her what if someone smacked you with a crowbar, bat, 2X4 and broke your left arm? How would you rack the gun. She (of course) said I'll find a way and blew it off.
2... weeks... later...
My daughter was sleeping on a couch at her boyfriends apt. On her stomach, with her arm up and head in the elbow and a blanket over her head.
He points at her head and fires 2 shots. One bullet hits her Humerus, shatters it and the bullet.
The other deflects off the Radius, through her breast and slides down the Sternum and (still) rests above the Xiphoid Process. ...he ate a third bullet that kills him dead.
She gets up and in a panic runs around, calls 911, bangs on other tenants doors, etc.

Here's my point. When the police arrive, they're all condition red and come in screaming to put her hands up and she's thinking she going to get shot because she can't as much as move her left arm. Later she said she couldn't believe how worthless her left arm was and it felt like a pile of dead meat.
Needless to say, the ex started carrying C1 after that.

When you carry, can you quickly, get the gun, and shoot it with either hand? You may not have the use of your other arm.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

Or more likely fending off an assailant with your off hand while drawing.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

azrik wrote: June 11th, 2019, 8:43 am True story...
My ex wife carrys a SIG 238 in her purse. (some carry a little dog in their purse, she carries a little 1911) We had this going discussion about condition 1 carry as she carried C3. A friend asked her what if someone smacked you with a crowbar, bat, 2X4 and broke your left arm? How would you rack the gun. She (of course) said I'll find a way and blew it off.
2... weeks... later...
My daughter was sleeping on a couch at her boyfriends apt. On her stomach, with her arm up and head in the elbow and a blanket over her head.
He points at her head and fires 2 shots. One bullet hits her Humerus, shatters it and the bullet.
The other deflects off the Radius, through her breast and slides down the Sternum and (still) rests above the Xiphoid Process. ...he ate a third bullet that kills him dead.
She gets up and in a panic runs around, calls 911, bangs on other tenants doors, etc.

Here's my point. When the police arrive, they're all condition red and come in screaming to put her hands up and she's thinking she going to get shot because she can't as much as move her left arm. Later she said she couldn't believe how worthless her left arm was and it felt like a pile of dead meat.
Needless to say, the ex started carrying C1 after that.

When you carry, can you quickly, get the gun, and shoot it with either hand? You may not have the use of your other arm.
Holy crap! What a story!
I am so glad it worked out with the right person dead -- shows how important a factor luck is in these situations -- but your daughter is going to live with some terrifying memories as well as physical disability. Poor kid.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

17-21-23 wrote: June 7th, 2019, 7:09 am Condition 0 for me.
Interesting that both Ranger1 and 17-21-23 opt for Condition 0. I wonder if YNOTAZ also carries Condition 0, because that would be three votes right there.