Open Carry - no thanks

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
AGE Mechanic
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Open Carry - no thanks

Post by AGE Mechanic »

My personal view is to carry ccw. These days, it seems like people get too much attention when they open carry.

lew

Post by lew »

I usually carry concealed, but I'll OC if the mood strikes. I can count on one hand the number of people who have even noticed me OC'ing.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

A right not exercised is a right lost. nothing wrong with OC, I don't do it often, but when the mood strikes do it, sometimes more than not,

and yeah the dinners were a hoot, enjoyed meeting lots of folks,

lotsa open carry myths, and thats just what they are myths, and you know of course its just my opinion
Rj
guardyan_angyl

Post by guardyan_angyl »

Mostly Concealed for me. I typically open carry when hunting. And yeah I know I probably look like all "tacticool" but I prefer a drop leg when hunting. Keeps the gun from being stuck up under my pack straps and gives my easier access to it.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

knockonit wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 7:08 pm A right not exercised is a right lost. nothing wrong with OC, I don't do it often, but when the mood strikes do it, sometimes more than not,

lotsa open carry myths, and thats just what they are myths, and you know of course its just my opinion
Rj
Agreed!

I would like to see society accept open carry as a everyday common occurrence. I think a open carry society would be a great deterrent to crime.
Dogslayer

Post by Dogslayer »

I am in the concealed carry camp. Ages ago I read that Jeff Cooper said something to the effect of "you want an assailant to realise that you are armed just before your bullet hits him".

Dogslayer
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

It depends on the gun I'm wearing. Usually I OC when at the range, out in the desert or hunting. CC when in town. I don't mind seeing others OC, most of the time its in Frys- saw a real cutie with a 9mm on her hip, gave me reason to compliment her.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

We should do an OC dinner in a few months when it seems like the gang is back.
I can't remember who coordinated the last ones, they were usually on a Saturday evening and I worked.
Before I moved here in 2011, being from the NW corner, I always thought that the "Teddy Roosevelt method" was the way to go- Speak softly and carry a big visible stick. But after moving here, the core group wised me up to all the benefits of CC, so no need to preach, but every so often I get into the goofy Yankee Marshall act of OC on the second of the month. Not so much "because I can," but if it leads to a conversation that educates just one person, maybe that attitude will multiply. Yes I want people to look and stare and talk about it. That's the purpose, in and educational fashion of course.

Just last week, I had a friend show up to a traffic stop, to pick up another friend that was having a car towed. That long involved story isn't the point, but the ride showed up with gun on hip. The cop asked him to put it in the car, and after a few back and forths, he explained he was doing nothing wrong and he wasn't going to put the gun in the car. The cop gave up when he realized that maybe this citizen that knew his rights wasn't such a threat after all. But the cop told him that hew felt nervous with the friend's gun at his side, and I said you should've told him "I'd feel nervous if I were you too because I train often with this, and you "qualify" once a year. there's some pretty bad dudes out here" Yes it's a rash general statement, but also from this board I learned that a lot of cops aren't "gun guys." Which to me is mind boggling, because this is a life or death type job, where it can go from zero to HOLY SHIZZ in a matter of a few seconds.
What
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by What »

knockonit wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 7:08 pm A right not exercised is a right lost. nothing wrong with OC, I don't do it often, but when the mood strikes do it, sometimes more than not,

Rj
I'm not familiar much of OC myth, could you list a few?
etprescottaz01

Post by etprescottaz01 »

Only in AZ about 15 years ago checking my dog into the kennel while we went on vacation the kennel helper guy with down syndrome opened carried a Glock. I told my from back east girlfriend he was probably safer with it than most people.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

What wrote: May 30th, 2018, 10:19 am

Rj
I'm not familiar much of OC myth, could you list a few?
based on Texas info, but never the less, the info is good
jmo

http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/22/the-p ... pen-carry/
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

knockonit wrote: May 30th, 2018, 12:58 pm

based on Texas info, but never the less, the info is good
jmo

I'm going to read this later, but with just a light skim, I'm not agreeing so far.
Since the bad guy chooses the time and place, we are always on the defensive end.
So whether you are the intended target or not, why not have as much advantage as possible, ESPECIALLY when it's life or death.
That's just one of his points I have a problem with :twocents-02cents:
But then again, isn't the whole article just one guys opinion?
Viper 1-26 INF

Post by Viper 1-26 INF »

I pretty much solely carry concealed... Actually, I'm pretty sure the only one of my pistols that I still have an OWB holster for is my P226, all others are mostly AIWB with the exception of a shoulder rig I sometimes use when wearing a suit.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

[/quote] based on Texas info, but never the less, the info is good
jmo
[/quote]

Thanks for the link, good read!
ooda

Post by ooda »

Conceal for me, Don't need some nut job looking and the voices in his head saying go for it.