Open Carry - no thanks

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
Dog Soldier
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: Open Carry - no thanks

Post by Dog Soldier »

I only open carry in the Back Country. I never give up the advantage of surprise when among the urban folks.

hackopt
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by hackopt »

Dinners were great, but ccw.
hackopt

Post by hackopt »

Dinners were great, but ccw.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

How about Open Carrying while wearing a MAGA hat? Anyone? No takers? :lol:
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

If I were going to OC it would be with a Bernie hat. Or, maybe an AOC shirt.

Sh!t, both.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

rizzo wrote: May 14th, 2018, 10:41 pm I support all liberty, so carry however you want. That said, I believe that open carry (assuming you are of age to CCW) serves little functional/defensive purpose, and may instead hurt more than it helps.

Change my mind.
There is no changing your mind. You obviously came to your conclusion with a long and thought out process for yourself. In this case you should have asked in what circumstances would you want to open carry, and then listen to others opinions. No one can make you think differently once you have a strong opinion on the matter.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

rizzo wrote: May 14th, 2018, 10:41 pm I support all liberty, so carry however you want. That said, I believe that open carry (assuming you are of age to CCW) serves little functional/defensive purpose, and may instead hurt more than it helps.

Change my mind.
I open carried when I used to walk my dog in the evening and I may when hiking but generally don't prefer to open carry for a bunch of reasons and none related to making others worried.

Having said that .. there is absolutely an advantage to being able to draw from open carry in a defensive situation. Practice all you like it is still another step to retrieve a concealed firearm.

I am not sure what you mean by "hurts more than helps" Hurts what, helps what?

I am not without prejudices and not nearly perfect enough to not come to pre conceived notions about people but it is rarely if ever about accessories. Recently passed a guy who was clean and dressed nicely, not suit but looked like a contractor, in front of Lowes and he was carrying OWB on the hip. Except for noting it and trying to see what he was carrying and in what .. No alarm bells went off and I am originally from NYC!

Saw a guy crossing the street at broadway that looked like one of those meth head zombies with open leather vest and no shirt, pants hanging down and carrying a heavy revolver in an old nylon droppy holster and thought he was a skell.
He hurts the gun community along with several other communities he might lay claim to because he is a skell, not because he carries a gun openly.

With all that said .. gun ownership shouldn't be about a popularity contest and if Skell boy is not prohibited and just looks nasty .. he has every right to carry as he pleases.

Once the gun community makes it a popularity contest we have lost. It is no longer about the RIGHT to own but how unintimdating we can look to anti gunners and that is far from the point.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Doc Holliday wrote: February 24th, 2019, 6:12 pm How about Open Carrying while wearing a MAGA hat? Anyone? No takers? :lol:
I had my hat on today and carrying OWB. No problems yet. But I know I will have a snow bird start some Sh%t with me.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Boriqua wrote: February 25th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Change my mind.
I open carried when I used to walk my dog in the evening and I may when hiking but generally don't prefer to open carry for a bunch of reasons and none related to making others worried.

Having said that .. there is absolutely an advantage to being able to draw from open carry in a defensive situation. Practice all you like it is still another step to retrieve a concealed firearm.

I am not sure what you mean by "hurts more than helps" Hurts what, helps what?

I am not without prejudices and not nearly perfect enough to not come to pre conceived notions about people but it is rarely if ever about accessories. Recently passed a guy who was clean and dressed nicely, not suit but looked like a contractor, in front of Lowes and he was carrying OWB on the hip. Except for noting it and trying to see what he was carrying and in what .. No alarm bells went off and I am originally from NYC!

Saw a guy crossing the street at broadway that looked like one of those meth head zombies with open leather vest and no shirt, pants hanging down and carrying a heavy revolver in an old nylon droppy holster and thought he was a skell.
He hurts the gun community along with several other communities he might lay claim to because he is a skell, not because he carries a gun openly.

With all that said .. gun ownership shouldn't be about a popularity contest and if Skell boy is not prohibited and just looks nasty .. he has every right to carry as he pleases.

Once the gun community makes it a popularity contest we have lost. It is no longer about the RIGHT to own but how unintimdating we can look to anti gunners and that is far from the point.

SKELL?

Boy did you just date and geolocate yourself. Lol.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

What!? Skell is out of date?
CC2058

Post by CC2058 »

If you are observant of the activities going on around you, then what advantage have you given up? In martial arts, military and law enforcement training you are told to be a hard target, and given examples of what to do. Head on a swivel, park in well lighted areas, etc etc. Also engrained right equipment for the task.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

CC2058 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 7:41 am If you are observant of the activities going on around you, then what advantage have you given up? In martial arts, military and law enforcement training you are told to be a hard target, and given examples of what to do. Head on a swivel, park in well lighted areas, etc etc. Also engrained right equipment for the task.
great post, and well said, its the lazy ones who aren't paying attention to surroundings and don't want to who whine about being vulnerable while open carrying, oh well, to each his own, a right not exercised is a right lost.
jmo
Rj
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

A few years ago it was a big thing on this site to have an open carry dinner some place.
Everyone was all for it back then.
I never went to one but it seamed to be the cats meow back then.
What happened that changed all your minds ?

I have no problem with people carrying guns and I could care less how you do it , as long as it is carried in a safe manner.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

new folks fell for the woe is me if someone sees me carrying a shooter, hehe, we had one last one to say idios to pizza man as he moved back east of the mississippi , and its a lot of work to find someplace that can handle over 30 crowd for food, lotsa whiners on the buffets, but they were happy to see us, and fed us, oh yeah, and if someone had to drive 5 miles to meet it was a whine fest. oh its too far, its in traffic, oh my, lions and tigers and bears.
they were a whole lot of fun, especially when meeting new folks with like minds on the gun rights, many have become good friends, and of those we meet regularly to shoot, and talk about you others. hehehe, just kidding, and oh yeah, didn't change my mind, still open carry as much as i do concealed, and do get a lot of comments, at my age i could freaking care less what someone thinks, its a right, and i'll exercise it till it goes away, which of course i hope never does

happy hump day
Rj
428cj

Post by 428cj »

I feel the same. I do both also. 8-)