Open Carry - no thanks

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
Shootist
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Open Carry - no thanks

Post by Shootist »

Conceal carry on the street.
Open carry on the range.

Flash

Post by Flash »

So let's think about the DPS FTO who was open carrying a few days ago, got disarmed by a perp and he gets shot plus his trainee killed. That makes an interesting argument doesn't it?
428cj

Post by 428cj »

knockonit wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 8:10 pm bullshiat on tactical advantage.
bullshiat on tactical advantage I'm with you. 8-)
Winston_Wolf
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Winston_Wolf »

... open carry in northern AZ country is almost a requirement
Cities, not so much
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Because of wildlife?
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

I open carry when I want people to know I'm carrying. I carried concealed when I don't want them to know. That's about it. On the motorcycle I open carry and it give me more of a cushion around my bike. If I go in somewhere that does not allow it then I conceal it with no printing.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Interesting, since most people are oblivious to weather others are armed.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Ranger1 wrote: August 6th, 2018, 2:53 pm I open carry when I want people to know I'm carrying. I carried concealed when I don't want them to know. That's about it. On the motorcycle I open carry and it give me more of a cushion around my bike. If I go in somewhere that does not allow it then I conceal it with no printing.
What holster setup are you using on the bike. My old motorcycle is my basic form of transportation and I have been using the same 4 oclock position but I also often haul my old wife and we have worked around it but ... I have been thinking shoulder rig or cross draw.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

OWB kydex with thumb brake for the g20
Sometimes the kydex shoulder rig with thumb brake. Hate for it to get away from me if something were to happen
vtachrn

Post by vtachrn »

I will open carry when hunting or on occasion. I just don't feel the need to advertise that I am armed. I did open carry while mowing the lawn just to piss off the idiot neighbor from California.
samnev

Post by samnev »

rizzo wrote: May 14th, 2018, 10:41 pm I support all liberty, so carry however you want. That said, I believe that open carry (assuming you are of age to CCW) serves little functional/defensive purpose, and may instead hurt more than it helps.

Change my mind.
Can't change your mind I agree with you.
Super Trucker

Post by Super Trucker »

rizzo wrote: May 14th, 2018, 10:41 pm I support all liberty, so carry however you want. That said, I believe that open carry (assuming you are of age to CCW) serves little functional/defensive purpose, and may instead hurt more than it helps.

Change my mind.
If the stuff hits the fan you are now in a reactionary situation, right? Can you draw and get shots on target faster from a concealment holster or an open holster?
Once you get old, are you still able to move your cover garment fast enough to get the gun out?

Walk though WalMart one day while open carrying and i would bet that 99% of the shoppers won't even notice you. The are to busy with their phones and other "not you" stuff.

I CC sometimes and OC sometimes, I honestly couldn't care anyless what the general public think of me. I carry however i feel like that day. I can guarantee that OC is faster though.
All the arguements about it giving up your tactical advantage are horse s***, those come from people without much of a clue.

If you want to OC the only suggestions I would offer are, get some type of weapon retention training (just incase) and blend in with everybody else (don't be the HEY LOOK AT ME guy).
I have read of 2 idiots that have had their guns taken from them, if you have a j-frame in your pocket that kind of helps with the fighting over the holstered gun arguement (a .357 to their knee/hip etc)
James1979

Post by James1979 »

I think it depends on who, where, and why you are somewhere.

If you are a LE guy, makes since. Everyone knows you are packing anyway. This isn't the gosh damn UK.

If you are a private civilian, I believe that it draws attention to you. If something goes down, and a bad guy walks in with a gun, you are the one getting their attention.

I'd rather surprise them.
Mauser98

Post by Mauser98 »

If you OC, USE A PROPER LEVEL 3 RETENTION HOLSTER. No excuses! Safariland makes some nice ones.
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

I'll open carry around the house and in the truck/Jeep, but pull a shirt over the top when I leave. I don't make a huge effort not to print though (unless the situation calls for it). I like to see folks open carrying though (as long as they're doing so safely). The general public needs to be reminded from time to time that:

1: Guns are out there
2: People carry them (more than you think)
3: They won't bite you

The only time open carry is annoying to me is when it's 100% obvious that the only reason they're doing it is for the attention it gets them.

-WRM