Open Carry - no thanks

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Open Carry - no thanks

Post by shooter444 »

[quote=Flash post_id=2073 time=1528904476 user_id=157]

http://markmaynard.com/2012/04/can-some ... -about-it/

"note: According to AnnArbor.com, the assailant was wearing a hoddie. Too bad we don’t have a “stand your ground law” in Michigan yet. If we did, the man with the man with the holstered gun could have just shot him, saying that he feared for his life, and avoided the hassle."

In this example, I tend to believe the victim who is open carrying without the legal authority to use the weapon, is the "nut-job", not the criminal.

http://gawker.com/open-carrying-guy-has ... 1644022889

"Gresham, Ore., police say former gun owner William Coleman III was talking to his cousin on the street around 2 a.m., openly displaying the Walther P22 he had purchased Friday.

According to the Oregonian, Coleman told cops a 20-something man walked up to the two and asked for a cigarette. When he noticed Coleman's gun, the stranger pulled his own pistol from the waistband of his sweatpants."

This example suggests to me that anyone who is hanging around on a street at 2AM, who allows a stranger to approach and ask for a cigarette without taking a defensive state of mind and physical stance, is the "nut-job".

The perp seems to have taken his game plan out of a movie, which just makes him a criminal on the prowl in the middle of the night, looking for an easy mark, not a "nut-job".

http://concealednation.org/2016/02/why- ... -carrying/

"The man said he was approached from behind by two men, and one of them demanded his gun. The other then grabbed the gun from the holster and pushed him to the ground."

Once again, the two criminals/thieves don't seem to be "nut-jobs". And, again, the victim is obviously carrying without being aware of his surroundings. I will give this guy a break and not label him as a complete "nut-job", but he comes pretty damn close, imo.

Maybe I am misreading, but, when I read publications stating "A NUT-JOB WILL TRY TO TAKE AN OPEN CARRY WEAPON", I get the impression the "nut-job" is spontaneously acting on a moth to flame impulse. I don't think of that as a premeditated organized criminal act.

Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Flash wrote: June 13th, 2018, 8:41 am A 2 minute google search revealed a bunch of incidents. This is pretty common.
And then there’s the McDonald’s disarm right here in Phoenix sometime last year, of which I couldn't find video.

But shooter444, you say this is a myth and have never seen it. Regardless of the lack of preparedness or mental state, it happens a lot. I hear that even convicts practice this in prison. Seems stupid to give them the equipment to practice, but allegedly it happens.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Pro2a, obviously I have misunderstood something. Please straighten me out, and give me your definition of a "NUT-JOB".

thanks
428cj

Post by 428cj »

No big thing there is NUT-JOBS that do CC or OC. They both have their big screw ups.
lostdog99

Post by lostdog99 »

An additional reason for concealed carry. . . Convicts , while in prison, practice disarming officers. No need to make yourself a target by open carry.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lol, and the horse pucky continues, hahaha
Flash

Post by Flash »

Whenever I'm in a store and I see someone open carrying, I make it a point to see if I can get close enough to grab the gun in a non threatening way. I don't reach out, just see if I can get close enough.

I almost always succeed. People get distracted in stores.
AJS214

Post by AJS214 »

I like the idea of having open carry on the law books and in practice so that people transporting weapons around hunting/fishing trips, camping/hiking, ranges, gun shops, etc. aren't as likely to get gigged for brandishing or otherwise disturbing the piece. I think that's better than making it a crime to not have it in a case, sock, or some other container.

That said, the last time I open carried was several years ago after heading back from a desert outing with friends, out of convenience. I still see handguns in OWB holsters every now and again. While not the most tactically sound idea, I believe its presence is important enough on some level to remind Arizona citizens that our political climate around firearms is/should be the mainstream here rather than a subculture.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Personally I could care less how you carry your gun.
It doesn't bother me one way or the other.
I do wonder about some people though when you see them with a $600 gun in a $2 holster.
PWilliam

Post by PWilliam »

Depending on the clothes I wear and where I am I carry both ways, but ALWAYS inside the waste band. Unless I'm hiking, then it's pure owb open carry. So I guess, scratch the ALWAYS. I didn't think this response through.......
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

I carry open and concealed. One 380 in my boot at all times. I carry in a paddle holster on my right hip. My shirt hangs over it so its kind of concealed. I do also carry IWB with a Glock 17 or a 1911 at times. All really depends on the situation. Nothing wrong with open carry. If someone that would be aggressive to another sees a 45 on your hip will generally walk in the other direction. On the other hand, depending on where you live or are at the time open carry is more of a "Look at me" and concealed carry is just more appropriate.
I'm in AJ and no body cares open or concealed. Hell no one cares if you are walking down the street with a SG in tow. Central Tempe different story, concealed is more appropriate.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I agree, no need to loose the element of surprise! Also, too many snowflakes around to want to have to deal with them.
Only time open carry is hunting and sometimes camping depending on how many other people are around.
DaveZ
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by DaveZ »

I usually CCW. I do OC when it makes sense, like at one of the open carry dinners or when out hunting/camping.
bushman66

Post by bushman66 »

Always be the gray man. Never understood the logic in surrendering your tactical advantage...
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

bullshiat on tactical advantage.