Decisions...how do you carry?

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
Tactical Hawaiian
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Decisions...how do you carry?

Post by Tactical Hawaiian »

Whats your preferred way to carry? What factors play a role in how you choose to carry IWB/OWB, outer layer of clothing, size: full size, compact, subcompact/micro?

Loaded question for me, as it depends on what gun I choose to carry, and as I carry concealed, it can also depend on my clothing for the day, activity or what I am doing for the day. Usually going to and from work, out and about: I go with the G43, or the P938. RAMI and CZ75 also, but not as much as size factor. (Pic below of P365, CZ-75, PT-111, G43)

Factors (in no particular order) that can impact why a person carries a certain way (feel free to throw out other factors):
Function/Dependability
Concealability
Comfort

For me function and concealability are important, as I mainly carry AIW. If I was going for more comfort I would wear the urban digital holster in picture (3 different holsters for G43). I usually wear shorts/t-shirt so I tend to go with the red holster as the profile is super low. The black holster more comfortable than the red holster, but creates a larger footprint.

I also do a lot of running, and still trying to find the right set up for carrying EDC, definitely will need to find the right micro-compact and some way of carrying it while running 6+ miles.

LuckyLeaky
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Decisions...how do you carry?

Post by LuckyLeaky »

I carry both my shield and the pink glock in the small of my back to 5 o clock.. I like the draw and the comfort when sitting
When I carried a 1911 I carried it in a horizontal holster at 6 o clock

I tried appendix once... it was not comfortable at all... too much stuff in the way
Flash

Post by Flash »

I carry IWB in an Alien Gear hybrid holster. I usually carry a Sig P220 Compact and a BUG in a pocket holster, normally a Kahr PM9.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

If I wear my 5.11 pants or shorts I wear IWB.If I wear shorts without pockets it's a shoulder rig. Everything I have made out of kydex. Sometimes I wear a OWB with my 5.11 it depends on the day
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I normally carry in a flat back double layered leather owb at about 4 o'clock with a shirt thrown over it. It is very tight fitting so I can use it all day through a variety of activities with no worries about security. It's also very comfortable and sticks to your body with zero bobble.

I never came to love iwb but have one if I need deep concealment.

I just sent out a cross draw for a P01 and I liked the design enough that when given a chance I will cobble one together to try it.

For running I would consider the hillspeople gear chest bags or even one of the better fitting waist bags. Slows the draw but at least you have your gun.

https://www.511tactical.com/select-carr ... pouch.html

http://hillpeoplegear.com/
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I have belt clips on LCP, LC9, Kahr, and snubby revolver, so I often carry those under a T-shirt without a holster. I also have DeSantis Nemesis pocket holsters for each of those, so when my shirt is tucked in, the pistol is in my pocket.

Most of the time, I carry a bigger pistol, in a Summer Special (or clone) IWB holster, covered by Tommy Bahama/Wilderness/5-11 type square-cut untucked shirt.
Tactical Hawaiian

LuckyLeaky wrote: August 9th, 2018, 10:19 pm I carry both my shield and the pink glock in the small of my back to 5 o clock.. I like the draw and the comfort when sitting
When I carried a 1911 I carried it in a horizontal holster at 6 o clock

I tried appendix once... it was not comfortable at all... too much stuff in the way
I have never carried in small of back, I've carried close to 5'oclock though, but not quite there. I'm gonna have to try that out.
Tactical Hawaiian

Boriqua wrote: August 10th, 2018, 7:42 am I normally carry in a flat back double layered leather owb at about 4 o'clock with a shirt thrown over it. It is very tight fitting so I can use it all day through a variety of activities with no worries about security. It's also very comfortable and sticks to your body with zero bobble.

I never came to love iwb but have one if I need deep concealment.

I just sent out a cross draw for a P01 and I liked the design enough that when given a chance I will cobble one together to try it.

For running I would consider the hillspeople gear chest bags or even one of the better fitting waist bags. Slows the draw but at least you have your gun.

https://www.511tactical.com/select-carr ... pouch.html

http://hillpeoplegear.com/

I will check them out, thanks!
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

I carry in my watch pocket between my pants and belt, have carried like this for 20 years.
LuckyLeaky

Post by LuckyLeaky »

338lapua wrote: August 10th, 2018, 11:45 am I carry in my watch pocket between my pants and belt, have carried like this for 20 years.
Wait, what?
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Just like this, Glock 34 in this shot. A Glock 19 hides even better. Wrangler has been shipping pants with a smaller watch pocket like this one, the larger pocket is more desirable especially with taller front sights. Be sure to oil the gun weekly as they will rust if you don't.
IMG_7920.JPG
LuckyLeaky

Post by LuckyLeaky »

Ok that’s what I had thought......
Like how the belt acts as a trigger guard
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Never hit the trigger in the tens of thousand of time I have drawn it.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

338lapua wrote: August 10th, 2018, 11:45 am I carry in my watch pocket between my pants and belt, have carried like this for 20 years.
Interesting, never would have guessed!!I have an IWB at 2;30-3:00. If it is appendix it digs in when I sit.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

LuckyLeaky wrote: August 10th, 2018, 3:03 pm Ok that’s what I had thought......
Like how the belt acts as a trigger guard
Don't lie. You can do better.