5th Circuit says CCW permits cannot exclude 18-20 year olds

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

5th Circuit says CCW permits cannot exclude 18-20 year olds

Post by Suck My Glock »

Essentially, if you are a legally recognized adult, you have full adult rights,...including carrying a concealed weapon.

Texas had made 21 years old the minimum qualifying age standard, but were challenged in court by the Firearms Policy Coalition.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2023/03/up ... r-age.html

While so far this only applies within Texas, Oklahoma and Mississippi,...the precedent might end up being used in challenges in other Circuits. Ultimately, if the Supreme Court were to back up the logic put forth, it could also eventually end up eliminating the unjustified discrepancy between the federal age standards for purchasing rifles and shotguns vs. handguns. But that is years away.

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: 5th Circuit says CCW permits cannot exclude 18-20 year olds

Post by XJThrottle »

But ya gotta be 21 to buy hand gun ammo...
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

XJThrottle wrote: March 9th, 2023, 1:44 pm But ya gotta be 21 to buy hand gun ammo...
Again, that is perhaps one day doing to be shot down.

In the meantime however, an 18 year old can still load his own ammo. It can be legally gifted to him/her by their parent, just like their handgun.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Suck My Glock wrote: March 9th, 2023, 1:51 pm
XJThrottle wrote: March 9th, 2023, 1:44 pm But ya gotta be 21 to buy hand gun ammo...

In the meantime however, an 18 year old can still load his own ammo. It can be legally gifted to him/her by their parent, just like their handgun.
Bears the question, a fella (or gal) walks into the LGS and buys a PCC in 9mm. Do they walk out with ammo too?. Although it is a "pistol caliber" carbine, it is technically a rifle round at that point... :angry-banghead:
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

The 21+ handgun ammo law is idiotic. 22LR, 22 Mag, 9mm, 38/357, 44spc/mag...all "handgun" calibers also shared with rifles. And yes,if an 18 year old buys a PCC ( or 10/22, lever action rifle, etc) all they have to do is say the "handgun" ammo is for a rifle and they are allowed to purchase.

I'm amazed this law hasn't made it to the SCOTUS previously...maybe it has, I don't pay that much attention to things like that. Why do all the other 26 Amendments apply to an 18 year old person, but not the 2nd? Either you are a legal adult, or you are not. Either everything applies to an 18 year old, or everything applies to a 21 year old....pick one.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

The age of "adulthood" should be tied to the age of the draft or the age that you can volunteer for military service. If you are trusted enough to patrol the streets of a foreign country you are trusted enough to carry a gun, have a beer or smoke a cigarette.
Twobadazbrothers

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

Suck My Glock wrote: March 9th, 2023, 1:51 pm

Just order it online it’s cheaper and no hall monitors
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Boriqua wrote: March 10th, 2023, 10:48 am The age of "adulthood" should be tied to the age of the draft or the age that you can volunteer for military service. If you are trusted enough to patrol the streets of a foreign country you are trusted enough to carry a gun, have a beer or smoke a cigarette.
100%