Now what to do after a Defensive shooting

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Now what to do after a Defensive shooting

Post by Boriqua »

Im sure everyone has seen this recent story. Kid shot a few other kids and a CCW holder put a round in him at the mall.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/18/us/el-pa ... index.html

Now ... what do you do so you don't get shot by the responding PD?

Ballistic Therapy

Re: Now what to do after a Defensive shooting

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

First thing ( I would think ) is to comply with their commands.
Then call an attorney.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Put your gun back in the holster, and put your hands up.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

If pd not there by the time it is over call 911 clearly describe what happened where it is and what you look like and are wearing. Stay on 911 and ask for instruction when officers are arriving. You will likely be told to secure the firearm and go prone hands visible. It is not the time to debate do it and follow instruction without discussion. If pd is there secure the firearm or better put it down keep hands visible and stay away from it. move slow and follow instruction.

And for the unknowing Miranda means shut up
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Not easy to answer, as every event is dynamic and there are so many potential variables.

But,...in my opinion,...once you have dominated the scene, you now also have responsibility to keep the scene orderly until authorities arrive. YOU ARE STILL EXPOSED TO POTENTIAL DANGER. You do not know if the perp you just put down has friends in the crowd who are looking for you to let your guard down or turn your back. Anyone rushing forward to supposedly render aid COULD be simply pretending. Just ask Kyle Rittenhouse. When Grosskreutz initially approached him, he had patches on him identifying him as a medic and appeared to offer aid,...until Rittenhouse saw the gun in his hand and turned him into a lefty. Likewise, bystanders trespassing amongst the evidence might take something, including the weapon of the other guy. Try explaining to a prosecutor that the guy really did have a gun, but someone conveniently walked off with it.

But, as any officer will tell you, the moment they encounter anyone at a scene with a gun in their hand, they have to treat them as a suspect and you will have guns pointed at you. If you are standing over a dead guy or currently holding anyone at gunpoint, you have a real risk of getting shot if you do anything other than what you are instructed and doing it immediately.

So you have to have your head on a swivel from the moment the first round is fired right up til the cops come and (temporarily) cuff you up. Be sure you see them before they see you so that you know now is the time to holster or otherwise remove your own weapon from being a bullet magnet.

It could also be beneficial to make sure the bystanders know you are the victim. Not only can this keep you alive if cops encounter witnesses first before they encounter you, but later in court it can matter greatly. One of my instructors who was formerly LAPD used to drill into us that if we have time to say anything before bullets fly, always scream at the top of your lungs "Don't make me hurt you" or "I don't want to kill you". Likewise, he also counseled that in the aftermath it would be great if witnesses heard you say "I didn't want to shoot him" or "I didn't want to hurt him". If called to testify, when asked what you said, they can only quote that. Excited emotional utterances are often given a great deal of weight as evidence.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

Lobo2087 wrote: February 21st, 2023, 5:27 pm If pd not there by the time it is over call 911 clearly describe what happened where it is and what you look like and are wearing. Stay on 911 and ask for instruction when officers are arriving. You will likely be told to secure the firearm and go prone hands visible. It is not the time to debate do it and follow instruction without discussion. If pd is there secure the firearm or better put it down keep hands visible and stay away from it. move slow and follow instruction.

And for the unknowing Miranda means shut up
Miranda means shut up, but first give the cops a call on a recorded line in the midst of the chaos to “clearly describe what happened.” Nothing could possibly go wrong there.

What has already happened isn’t relevant at that point. The only thing you should be describing is the current status of the situation. Better yet, just tell everyone else to call 911. The only time the cops should hear you talk is in the presence of an attorney and after you’ve had a chance to fully process the situation. Learn from the mistakes of Mr. Kelly down south.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Think most have seen this before, but for anyone who hasn't very good information here.

flyinverted

Post by flyinverted »

You say the necessary and nothing else. "There's been a shooting, the suspect is wearing XXX, last seen XXX. I am wearing XXX." There's nothing else to say. Once cops get there, give them your contact details. Let them know you'd like to collect your thoughts before making any more statements. Then go home and call an attorney. Your job is NOT to help them with their job. Their job is to collect evidence for the prosecutor. Be polite, but DO NOT HELP THEM.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

A very good treatise on JUST this very subject......
https://www.bloomfieldpress.com/AYS.htm