Honalulu pulling sneaky sh*t to prevent CCW

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Honalulu pulling sneaky sh*t to prevent CCW

Post by Suck My Glock »

Honolulu is mad at gun owners as they are, slowly, getting their right to carry approval. Without this only gun range, concealed carry permits can not be granted as they have no place to fulfill the training/certification. Fuggin Liberals.

City knew for years about lead concerns at shooting range, but did little to warn workers of danger. But now, conveniently, they suddenly care so much that they shut it down indefinitely, and all CCW qualifying along with it.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/11/1 ... rs-danger/

Gun owners on Oahu are still without a public range as a probe into possible lead contamination at Koko Head Shooting Complex continues ― and new details emerge about what the city knew. 

Two months ago, the range closed abruptly after tests showed nearly everyone who worked there had elevated lead levels. Hawaii News Now has learned it’s not the first time range staff were found to have a concerning amount of lead in their blood, and that the city was informed of the issue.

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Honalulu pulling sneaky sh*t to prevent CCW

Post by XJThrottle »

Are their permits issued by county? There are ranges on other islands.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

XJThrottle wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:24 am Are their permits issued by county? There are ranges on other islands.
may be a stupid question since I am completely ignorant on it but .. is traveling between islands simply a ferry boat ride or something more involved?
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Boriqua wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 9:43 am
XJThrottle wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:24 am Are their permits issued by county? There are ranges on other islands.
may be a stupid question since I am completely ignorant on it but .. is traveling between islands simply a ferry boat ride or something more involved?
Boat or small plane. The plane rides are real low key with security too.

Each island group is a separate county though.
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

Boriqua wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 9:43 am
People generally fly between the islands. TSA does not generally monitor those flights either.
Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

From the NYSRPA v Bruen decision:
That said, because any permitting scheme can be put toward abusive ends, we do not rule out constitutional challenges to shall-issue regimes where, for example, lengthy wait times in processing license applications or exorbitant fees deny ordinary citizens their right to public carry
So if they require live fire qualification but (for example) deny zoning to ranges...

Just a thought... not a lawyer and don't play one on TV

reference https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/2 ... 3_7j80.pdf
page 30, footnote 9 of the Opinion (Thomas) although i believe something similar was in Kavanaugh's consenting, but i didn't make note of it, sorry.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

https://www.honolulu.gov/index.php?opti ... te-dpr-cat

6) Does the City intend to reopen KHSC for public and law enforcement usage?

Yes. We understand the environmental concerns of the neighboring community, and also recognize the shooting complex’s importance to the local firearms community, as this location is the only public shooting range on O‘ahu. According to our most recent data, the pistol and rifle ranges at KHSC accommodated over 32,500 users last year.

We appreciate everyone’s patience while we work with the experts to make necessary improvements to ensure the shooting complex can operate safely upon its reopening, including addressing the concerns of our employees.

7) When is KHSC scheduled to reopen?

We are awaiting the recommendations from the above-mentioned consultants before proceeding with the berm renovation project. These consultations are scheduled to take place in December 2022.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Curious....

If there is no range to qualify for a CWP/CCW, where do the PD cadets and current officers qualify at? They have qualifying standards like every other department...right?

A private range? Oh, funded how? By tax payer dollars, ya don't say? No environmental concerns there? Sounds like a public range to me...
If I lived on Oahu that paper work would've been filed yesterday.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

admin wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 5:43 pm https://www.honolulu.gov/index.php?opti ... te-dpr-cat

6) Does the City intend to reopen KHSC for public and law enforcement usage?
The more cynical in Hawaii see this as an end run by the anti-2A forces in Honolulu that have been trying to shut down the range for years.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

There are (or were) a number of indoor ranges right in Waikiki, as I recall they were mostly used by tourist from Japan. Maybee HPD has an indoor one somewhere.
If Magnum Firearms was still in business, we could give Art a call to get the inside scoop, I am still appalled at how the City got rid of him.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Brought to you by, Their Islands Savior
Brought to you by, Their Islands Savior
IMG_3925.GIF (633.3 KiB) Viewed 1150 times