Shooting Ranges

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
pindepth
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Shooting Ranges

Post by pindepth »

I would like to target practice with reactive targets but can’t find a range that allows. I would rather not just go out in the desert.

Well $1000 later and a friend’s property solved my range problem. Sucks that no range set up for steel or Tanerite. Got er done. All you have to do is rent a blade build a dry dirt burm and have access to 40 plus acres. Only cost $1000.
Last edited by pindepth on October 9th, 2022, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Shooting Ranges

Post by Suck My Glock »

Most ranges are still gun-shy of allowing steel for liability insurance reasons. The ranges will often defer to clubs and organizations having their own reactive steel, provided that the club carries their own liability insurance, holding the range themselves blameless for anything that occurs during activities sponsored or run by the club and not the range.

But that leaves little old you out in the cold, because you don't have your own separate insurance or legal agreement.
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

Maybe try Joe Foss? Not sure if they have steel on thr normal range like they do the sheriff range.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Join Phoenix Rod & Gun. They have an entire pistol bay of steel targets for members.
Doc

Post by Doc »

QuietM4 wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 1:17 pm Join Phoenix Rod & Gun. They have an entire pistol bay of steel targets for members.
This is the way.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

If you lived north of Phoenix, there are other options.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

QuietM4 wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 1:17 pm Join Phoenix Rod & Gun. They have an entire pistol bay of steel targets for members.
Spent 3 hours hammering steel today there. Once you are a member you have to make an appointment with Ben the range manager to sign the waivers and qualify to get the key. You MUST bring a holster with a gun that fits it and not a uncle mikes type holster. You will be required to show empty, draw, dry fire and reholster. Any premature finger on trigger before you are pointed down range and you may be sent home to practice some more. It is a zero tolerance on stupidity in this area as people are allowed to draw from the holster and fire and reholster.

The steel bay is closed 4 times a week when the 300 and 500 yard line are in use. Bring a can of WHITE spray paint and paint them when you are done. Lowes is the cheapest at 2.50 a can for their cheapest paint. There are two plate racks, a 6 plate and a 18 plate, You do not move plate racks. The others are movable BUT you DO NOT place them any closer than ten yards to the firing line. If you want to use the IDPA cardboard targets there are a couple stands but I advise bring your own sticks as the ones there can either be new or shot up. There is zero tolerance for centerfire rifle on this range period no discussion. Pistol caliber carbines and pistols only. If you can live with these rules go to the PRGC website and print a application form and mail it in to the club. After they approve you you will be required to come in for a walk through and meet Ben. You can ask him at that time about access to the steel pit.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Open the rest of the time the club is open.

_________20220813_171526 2.jpg
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

___________20220813_180238 2.jpg
Doc

Post by Doc »

^

Yep.

It’s a good place. Zero tolerance for any nonsense. Gotta protect the shooting gallery.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Doc wrote: September 4th, 2022, 12:24 am ^

Yep.

It’s a good place. Zero tolerance for any nonsense. Gotta protect the shooting gallery.
Members are the RSO'S outside of public hours on weekends and during the week. If you see something unsafe say something. If it continues get the name off the badge and report them. I usually dont have to go beyond telling them to stop what they are doing or leave.
pindepth

Post by pindepth »

I live in Tucson so Ben Avery kinda far and so is phoenix. By reactive I meant Tanerite but I Grus steel would work to. No sure where I can go.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

pindepth wrote: September 4th, 2022, 10:37 pm I live in Tucson so Ben Avery kinda far and so is phoenix. By reactive I meant Tanerite but I Grus steel would work to. No sure where I can go.
Tannerite is illegal on all BLM/AZ public and all Forest Service land, also known as the majority of land in the state. There is certainly no organized public or private shooting range that is going to let you shoot Tannerite.
Brlux

Post by Brlux »

Your only real option with tanneriter type reactive targets is shooting on private land.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Can shoot steel at Casa Grande ... at least the last time I was there which was a while ago. No range officers and its somewhat close to you. I had a blast attending some of the old AZS group shoots there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pinal ... Jhbmdl4AEA