One of the many reasons I only carry concealed

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
Crippledtrigger
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: One of the many reasons I only carry concealed

Post by Crippledtrigger »

The saggy pants crawl.

hrob

Post by hrob »

I have a CCW but open carry almost exclusively and do so for a reason: Open carry, I believe, normalizes firearms in public and helps to alleviate panic from non-gun owners when they see a handgun riding on a belt holster. I'd like to see more gun owners open carrying.

But I can see why the OP might prefer to carry concealed based on the video and I prefer a retention holster for precisely that reason.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

hrob wrote: November 30th, 2022, 8:38 pm I have a CCW but open carry almost exclusively and do so for a reason: Open carry, I believe, normalizes firearms in public and helps to alleviate panic from non-gun owners when they see a handgun riding on a belt holster. I'd like to see more gun owners open carrying.

But I can see why the OP might prefer to carry concealed based on the video and I prefer a retention holster for precisely that reason.
i agree completely that we should work toward normalization. You don't hear people say, "OMG, That guy over there is wearing a wristwatch!" I would like us to get to the point where nobody thinks twice about somebody wearing a gun.
I would do it, but I don't have the guts. I respect and admire those who do.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

smithers599 wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 6:30 am
i agree completely that we should work toward normalization. You don't hear people say, "OMG, That guy over there is wearing a wristwatch!" I would like us to get to the point where nobody thinks twice about somebody wearing a gun.
I would do it, but I don't have the guts. I respect and admire those who do.
Weak, weak, and weak, but, at least you're being honest about it.

Clyde
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

I only carry concealed unless I'm going camping. If I have to stop at a store or gas station I'll cover it with my shirt and I keep my arm/hand nearby as I don't have a retention holster.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

campinginaz wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 7:43 am I only carry concealed unless I'm going camping. If I have to stop at a store or gas station I'll cover it with my shirt and I keep my arm/hand nearby as I don't have a retention holster.
I only open carry when out into the boonies. If I'm exploring in the mountains/desert or when I'm out shooting in the desert I get to open carry my big guns. I really enjoy it as I can open carry my big bore revolvers or large autos. But I'll do concealed carry in the urban environments.
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

I only carry open at gas stations simply because I’ve known several people who’ve been accosted or pan-handled while they were pumping gas. Additionally OC at such a location you’re not surrounded by a lot of people and the possible distances are relatively longer. I always keep my back to the vehicle, have an open car door protecting my strong side, and due to a past profession I’m constantly aware of my surroundings. In a crowded public such as a retail store, restaurant etc. I NEVER open carry and I seriously question the maturity/intelligence/judgement of those who do for the following reasons.

*Most people who carry concealed have never received professionally delivered firearms instruction of ANY duration (CCW instruction has practically zero weapons handling/shooting training). Of the people who actually HAVE spent the money and taken the time to get firearms training how many have been instructed in weapons retention techniques? DAMNED FEW because weapons retention training is not very fun in comparison to engaging Pepper Poppers and clearing shoot houses. Additionally it’s a very perishable skill and must be practiced often to maintain the art. I’d wager that not even 1% of the people who OC have the vaguest idea of weapons retention techniques. I’ve been trained in weapons retention techniques but those skills have long since atrophied because I no longer operate in a high threat environment (and if someone thinks Arizona is a high threat AO in which they need to OC every time they leave their domicile then they need to stop channeling “John Wick”).

*It is simply too difficult for an untrained solo individual who is OC in a crowded venue to protect their weapon AND maintain a practical level of situational awareness. An untrained person attempting to do both is most often overwhelmed by sensory overload, or commits mistakes-a lot of mistakes. Yeah, cops do it all the time but they have been trained in RT and the power of their authority when in uniform does endow them with a certain psychological stand off bubble.

*Yeah, yeah, yeah so you want to make a political/cultural statement by opening carrying? Uh huh. Well, going back to my first point as a RESPONSIBLE defender of the 2A did you bother to be trained and skilled in weapons retention? Because if you didn’t and you wind up having your weapon snatched from its holster what the f**k kind of anti-2A message does that send to the public? If you want to send a message then carry a sign because if someone takes away your sign it’s a lot harder to kill you with a bumper sticker phrase.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

That Guy wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 11:49 am I only carry open at gas stations simply because I’ve known several people who’ve been accosted or pan-handled while they were pumping gas. Additionally OC at such a location you’re not surrounded by a lot of people and the possible distances are relatively longer. I always keep my back to the vehicle, have an open car door protecting my strong side, and due to a past profession I’m constantly aware of my surroundings. In a crowded public such as a retail store, restaurant etc. I NEVER open carry and I seriously question the maturity/intelligence/judgement of those who do for the following reasons.

*Most people who carry concealed have never received professionally delivered firearms instruction of ANY duration (CCW instruction has practically zero weapons handling/shooting training). Of the people who actually HAVE spent the money and taken the time to get firearms training how many have been instructed in weapons retention techniques? DAMNED FEW because weapons retention training is not very fun in comparison to engaging Pepper Poppers and clearing shoot houses. Additionally it’s a very perishable skill and must be practiced often to maintain the art. I’d wager that not even 1% of the people who OC have the vaguest idea of weapons retention techniques. I’ve been trained in weapons retention techniques but those skills have long since atrophied because I no longer operate in a high threat environment (and if someone thinks Arizona is a high threat AO in which they need to OC every time they leave their domicile then they need to stop channeling “John Wick”).

*It is simply too difficult for an untrained solo individual who is OC in a crowded venue to protect their weapon AND maintain a practical level of situational awareness. An untrained person attempting to do both is most often overwhelmed by sensory overload, or commits mistakes-a lot of mistakes. Yeah, cops do it all the time but they have been trained in RT and the power of their authority when in uniform does endow them with a certain psychological stand off bubble.

*Yeah, yeah, yeah so you want to make a political/cultural statement by opening carrying? Uh huh. Well, going back to my first point as a RESPONSIBLE defender of the 2A did you bother to be trained and skilled in weapons retention? Because if you didn’t and you wind up having your weapon snatched from its holster what the f**k kind of anti-2A message does that send to the public? If you want to send a message then carry a sign because if someone takes away your sign it’s a lot harder to kill you with a bumper sticker phrase.
OK, it's tough, but I have to agree with most of what you wrote. Weapons Retention is the secret to carrying openly. I have offered to teach it many times, and have little to no response. People who decide to OC without those skills take their chances. I do OC about the same as I CC, but I am also very aware of my environment, and when it's time to cover it, I do. I have methods to reduce the chances of my weapon being grabbed or taken, including blades and a BUG they never see.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
hrob

Post by hrob »

That Guy wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 11:49 am I only carry open at gas stations simply because I’ve known several people who’ve been accosted or pan-handled while they were pumping gas. Additionally OC at such a location you’re not surrounded by a lot of people and the possible distances are relatively longer. I always keep my back to the vehicle, have an open car door protecting my strong side, and due to a past profession I’m constantly aware of my surroundings. In a crowded public such as a retail store, restaurant etc. I NEVER open carry and I seriously question the maturity/intelligence/judgement of those who do for the following reasons.

Cool. If you don't like open carry then don't open carry. I appreciate your well thought out arguments (minus the F bomb) but I will continue to open carry. I'm not perfect but I generally have good situational awareness and although I've never had "professionally delivered firearms training" I do have common sense and that, for me, is enough. I realize some men need to be told how to handle and retain their firearms but that is not me. I don't believe the average criminal is tactically trained in disarming those who open carry. In fact, I would suggest that open carry is a deterrent to criminal activity.

One of the many great things about America is that (at least in Arizona) we have the right to choose whether we carry arms openly or concealed and I would question the maturity/intelligence/judgement of those who disagree.
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

hrob wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 10:07 pm

Cool. If you don't like open carry then don't open carry. I appreciate your well thought out arguments (minus the F bomb) but I will continue to open carry. I'm not perfect but I generally have good situational awareness and although I've never had "professionally delivered firearms training" I do have common sense and that, for me, is enough. I realize some men need to be told how to handle and retain their firearms but that is not me. I don't believe the average criminal is tactically trained in disarming those who open carry. In fact, I would suggest that open carry is a deterrent to criminal activity.

One of the many great things about America is that (at least in Arizona) we have the right to choose whether we carry arms openly or concealed and I would question the maturity/intelligence/judgement of those who disagree.

I hesitated how to respond to your reply as I was unsure whether it was crypto-sarcasm or that you’re really that dumb. I judged the safe money was on the latter. The term “common sense” is undoubtedly one of the greatest misnomers ever created because in my experience it ain’t that “common”. In my opinion if you HAD “common sense” and consistently open carry you WOULD obtain some professional weapons retention training. That fact you are so resistant to receiving this training is irresponsible, just plain weird, and goes directly back to my comment about folks like you having “maturity/intelligence/judgment” issues. And when you write that you, “generally have good situational awareness”, that’s a statement that really instills confidence in your civic ethics and tactical ability. I mean it ranks right up there with, “I generally don’t have negligent discharges with my gun”, or, “I generally stop for red lights”. In the REAL world “generally” don’t cut it. IF YOU CHOSE TO EXERCISE YOU RIGHT TO OPEN CARRY A WEAPON IN PUBLIC YOU MUST BE SITUATIONALLY AWARE ALWAYS! Not “generally”, not “most of the time”, not when the people around you look like “criminals”. ALL. THE. TIME.

“One of the many great things about America is that (at least in Arizona) we have the right to choose whether we carry arms openly or concealed and I would question the maturity/intelligence/judgement of those who disagree.”
Oh I NEVER wrote that you DIDN’T have a right to OC because I am a resolute believer THAT EVERYBODY HAS A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO STUPID SH!T (in fact Thomas Jefferson specifically wrote that in Federalist 86). IF you read my OP I did state that on select occasions I DO open carry. In the film “Fight Club” Tyler Durdin said, “On a long enough time line everyone’s survival rate drops to zero.” The same could be said of untrained idjits who OC, sooner or later your luck is gonna run out.

Oh, and if my little decaffeinated “f**k” bothers you, i.e. “(minus the F bomb)” you are WAY too sensitive to be carrying anyway.

PS-You recently joined this forum and claim to live in Prescott. I’ll go out on a limb here and guess that you recently moved to Arizona from some “blue” state. I used to see guys open carrying when I went to courses at Gunsite or visited friends up in Chino Valley all the time. In fact shopping in Prescott/Prescott Valley is a great way to observe the legions of clueless ex-Californians strutting around open carry making a tactiCOOL fashion statement. It was like a tactical fetish ball of how NOT to open carry.
hrob

Post by hrob »

Holy cow! Touched a nerve did I? I've been berated by angry women who went on less than you.

Although you are correct in the assertion that I am sensitive to foul language on a public discussion board - behavior that makes us no better than foul leftists and contributes to the decline of Western civilization - it is hard for me to make the leap that an adherence to common decency would disqualify me from protecting myself and my family by carrying a firearm.

If you truly believe that an aversion to foul language diminishes my capacity for carrying a firearm, then you should take a good hard look at your own propensity for escalation - a character trait that, unlike the expectation that people conduct themselves with propriety on a public forum, should make one question one's own suitability to be armed in public. I haven't once used terms like " dumb", " idjits", "weird" or "stupid". But you have. I don't use capital letters to try and lend importance to a statement. But you do. Doesn't a great deal of your "professionally delivered firearms training" focus on the concept of de-escalation?

You are correct that I moved here from a blue state. (From one to another it would appear!) Not that it makes any difference; it is, after all, a free country. I retired, sold my house, made a little profit and used it to make a life in the (currently) free state of Arizona. For this, I make no apologies. I now enjoy the freedom of open and concealed carry without the fear of being jailed like a common criminal. And everyone - including you Mr.That Guy - everyone who complains about people like me would have done the same thing.

I humbly admit that you are also correct that I prance around with the latest "tacticool" gear slapping my hip. I parade about town resplendent with a G19 purchased during the Clinton administration.

I'm shameless.

And now I cede the final word to you, sir. Something I am sure you are well accustomed to. (Caps incoming!)

(Open) carry on.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

hrob wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 5:37 pm I've been berated by angry women who went on less than you.
Snark............ :D
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

QuangTri wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 7:44 pm
hrob wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 5:37 pm I've been berated by angry women who went on less than you.
Snark............Chuckle

:D
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Any one making book on which former banned member that guy is? One of ranger 1s troll aliases? Someone else? Someone new? I'll put a few bucks in.

AZ used to be open carry only. That's all we did. Yes I've seen the videos of Clyde's snatching weapons in training and making points of a couple holster design weaknesses on the old site. Good information.

Weapons retention isn't that difficult and more about situational awareness,equipment choice and simple tactics than folks are making it out to be in attempt to pump up their tactical qualifications. You absolutely have to prepare and be aware of your surroundings but don't act like you need to be a super special operator to OC.

Simple weapon coverage and positional awareness is the most important thing as is proper holster choice as Clyde's instruction so impactfully has shown. Like anything else carry related it can't be an afterthought or tacticool related or you could be sorry.

Snatch attempts almost always start with the guy carrying having his head up his ass or he is forced into a situation like escorting prisoners or entering groups of people he otherwise wouldn't. The only snatch attemp I encouterd was at Maricopa medical center when a prisoner escorted by a phoenix police officer who didn't want to goto jail broke away an attempted to take my weapon. Situational awareness, knowing who is around and whats going on, Simple retention technique retained my weapon and resulted in a broken nose for the idiot trying to take it. Also an embarrassing moment fir a police officer flirting with a nurse instead of watching his prisoner.

The bottom line is this isn't a seal team six type of skill requirement. Like anything else when you carry, you can't have your head up your ars or you leave yourself and safety upto chance. Don't use cheap holsters. Learn a couple simple tactics and don't go around with your head up your ass.

You carry to prepare for rare possibilities, learn mitigation tactics and live your life. You're a free American! Carrying a weapon requiers informed commitment. Fail to do so at your own peril.

The bottom line is snatch attempts happen probably less often then actually needing your weapon. You shouldn't ignore the possibility nor should you not OC because of it.
hrob

Post by hrob »

"Any one making book on which former banned member that guy is? One of ranger 1s troll aliases? Someone else? Someone new? I'll put a few bucks in."

Did I trigger someone else?