CCW + training?

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
iotarho
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

CCW + training?

Post by iotarho »

Asking for SO: are there any CCW classes that do basic handgun training and range time as part of the course? I know most of the classes are probably rightfully geared up for people that are already trained or knowledgeable and just want to get their CCW, but figured I'd at least see what's out there.

SecretV
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: CCW + training?

Post by SecretV »

Scottsdale Gun Club offers several CCW packages. Some of them include range time.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

SecretV wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 12:44 pm Scottsdale Gun Club offers several CCW packages. Some of them include range time.
Second that.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

I would bet that C2 Tactical and Shooter's World both do, also.
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

Glendale Comm offers CCW (AJS 151) and a two day handgun course (AJS 153) that are great AJS153 is a bargain at just over $100. They used to give 153 several times a semester and about 20 people in the class. Now it's once and only 9.

They also have a rifle class and a Home and Auto defense class.

https://classes.sis.maricopa.edu/?keywo ... structors=
hudsguns

Post by hudsguns »

smithers599 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 9:32 pm
SecretV wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 12:44 pm Scottsdale Gun Club offers several CCW packages. Some of them include range time.
Second that.
Agree, I actually did the 8hr class last week, highly recommend. Learned a lot from instructor Tim Forshey.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

hudsguns wrote: June 27th, 2021, 6:56 am
Agree, I actually did the 8hr class last week, highly recommend. Learned a lot from instructor Tim Forshey.
If I may ask, what, exactly, did you learn in that class????

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
hudsguns

Post by hudsguns »

kenpoprofessor wrote: June 27th, 2021, 7:13 am

Clyde
Sure, a few key take aways for me were:
  • AZ laws for use of lethal force - justification of use, when and when not legal
  • Situational Understanding - make sure you know what's going on prior to firing because what you think you see is not correct, a few examples of actual situations were presented, such as a man walking dog hears women screaming then sees a guy standing over a women stabbing her while she's grabbing at his ankle guy walking dog tells man to stop back away the women continues to grab at ankle of man with knife the man with knife motions to stab again so the man walking dog puts 2 .45 in chest of man with knife. Class learns the man with knife is a police officer that was attacked by the women (ex. girl friend) she had stabbed him a couple times, she was grabbing at his ankle to get his backup gun in ankle holster. So be real sure you know the situation prior to shooting.
  • Affects of Adrenaline - what you think occurred during the event may not align with available information, such as distance you think the person was 10ft away when they were actually 20yrds away
  • Engaging Police after a shooting - have someone else call 911, because in AZ 911 calls are not protected by 5th amendment so you may say something in the fog/heat of situation
  • AR-15 with .223/5x56 55gr defense round is a great home defense weapon, though use a suppressor to not go deaf
  • Insurance - actions of intent are usually not covered by standard or umbrella insurance policies, so strongly recommended to get specialized insurance for use of firearm, because just legal defense costs are close to ~$35k minimum if needed.
Those are a few items, there was a lot of info covered in 8hrs; I'm still reviewing notes and processing.

Hope that helps.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

hudsguns wrote: June 27th, 2021, 8:16 am

• AZ laws for use of lethal force - justification of use, when and when not legal
  • Situational Understanding - make sure you know what's going on prior to firing because what you think you see is not correct, a few examples of actual situations were presented, such as a man walking dog hears women screaming then sees a guy standing over a women stabbing her while she's grabbing at his ankle guy walking dog tells man to stop back away the women continues to grab at ankle of man with knife the man with knife motions to stab again so the man walking dog puts 2 .45 in chest of man with knife. Class learns the man with knife is a police officer that was attacked by the women (ex. girl friend) she had stabbed him a couple times, she was grabbing at his ankle to get his backup gun in ankle holster. So be real sure you know the situation prior to shooting.
  • Affects of Adrenaline - what you think occurred during the event may not align with available information, such as distance you think the person was 10ft away when they were actually 20yrds away
  • Engaging Police after a shooting - have someone else call 911, because in AZ 911 calls are not protected by 5th amendment so you may say something in the fog/heat of situation
  • AR-15 with .223/5x56 55gr defense round is a great home defense weapon, though use a suppressor to not go deaf
  • Insurance - actions of intent are usually not covered by standard or umbrella insurance policies, so strongly recommended to get specialized insurance for use of firearm, because just legal defense costs are close to ~$35k minimum if needed.
Those are a few items, there was a lot of info covered in 8hrs; I'm still reviewing notes and processing.

Hope that helps.

Are you new to the gun world???

Clyde
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

hudsguns wrote: June 27th, 2021, 8:16 am
kenpoprofessor wrote: June 27th, 2021, 7:13 am

Clyde

Hope that helps.
Way to go - I have a respect for anyone trying to gain knowledge on how to be responsible with a firearm. One never knows everything and can always learn something new or different. Maybe just a different way to handle a unique situation, always more to learn to get better prepared.
hudsguns

Post by hudsguns »

@kenpoprofessor Yeah, compared to most people I'm new to gun world a little more than a year of actual interest. So, I'm learning when there's opportunity.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

hudsguns wrote: June 27th, 2021, 3:09 pm @kenpoprofessor Yeah, compared to most people I'm new to gun world a little more than a year of actual interest. So, I'm learning when there's opportunity.
Did you move here from a nanny state then? What got you interested in firearms, and the RTKBA???

Clyde
hudsguns

Post by hudsguns »

kenpoprofessor wrote: June 27th, 2021, 3:13 pm
hudsguns wrote: June 27th, 2021, 3:09 pm @kenpoprofessor Yeah, compared to most people I'm new to gun world a little more than a year of actual interest. So, I'm learning when there's opportunity.
Did you move here from a nanny state then? What got you interested in firearms, and the RTKBA???

Clyde
No been in AZ many many many years, back when trucks had gun racks with guns :)
Guns were around just never had any, though had some interest. After taking a firearm safety course at SGC and shooting with a few friends, I found I like shooting. I joined the forums in search of a specific firearm canik tp40 v2, haven't come across that gun but read some posts and reply if I might have something to add. I don't know all the acronyms, had to look up RTKBA.

Why you asking what got me interested in firearms?
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

hudsguns wrote: June 27th, 2021, 5:00 pm
Guns were around just never had any, though had some interest. After taking a firearm safety course at SGC and shooting with a few friends, I found I like shooting. I joined the forums in search of a specific firearm canik tp40 v2, haven't come across that gun but read some posts and reply if I might have something to add. I don't know all the acronyms, had to look up RTKBA.

I'm curious, I like to know how folks think, and why. You coming on here asking newbie questions makes one wonder what motives are afoot. :o

Clyde
hudsguns

Post by hudsguns »

kenpoprofessor wrote: June 27th, 2021, 5:28 pm
hudsguns wrote: June 27th, 2021, 5:00 pm

I'm curious, I like to know how folks think, and why. You coming on here asking newbie questions makes one wonder what motives are afoot. :o

Clyde
Not sure I have any motives, other than learning and getting better with use of firearms. I'm taking it one round, posting, class, and video at a time. Since, I didn't heed the warnings from others or read the label stating "Firearm use may be addictive and habit forming!". Now I wonder what did I get myself into after purchases of only 2 firearms (Keltec s2k .40 cal, & Canik tp9 combat exec elite) and ~10k rounds of ammo, because I want more ; this firearm thing ain't cheap :shock: