Apple bribed cops to get permits for employees

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Apple bribed cops to get permits for employees

Post by Suck My Glock »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/23/apple-s ... rmits.html

A grand jury in Santa Clara, California, has issued an indictment accusing Apple's chief security officer, Thomas Moyer, of offering bribes to secure concealed carry permits for Apple employees.

Moyer allegedly promised to donated 200 iPads worth $70,000 to the sheriff's office in exchange for four concealed carry licenses "withheld from Apple employees," according to a press release from the Santa Clara District Attorney Jeff Rosen.

The charges filed on Monday are part of an investigation dating back to 2019 into whether or not the Santa Clara sheriff uses concealed carry permits to help solicit bribes and political donations. The sheriff's office covers Cupertino, California, where Apple's headquarters is located. Moyer has worked at Apple for 14 years and is now its head of global security, his lawyer said on Monday.

The Santa Clara DA said that while state law says that people who receive concealed carry licenses in California need to demonstrate "good cause," as well as a complete a firearms course and have good moral character, the sheriff has the final say in determining who should qualify.

"Ultimately, this case is about a long, bitter and very public dispute between the Santa Clara County Sheriff and the District Attorney, and Tom is collateral damage to that dispute," Swanson said in a statement on behalf of Moyer.

The Santa Clara DA alleges that officials in the Santa Clara County Sheriff's office, Undersheriff Rick Sung, and Captain James Jensen, were part of a scheme where they solicited bribes in exchange for easier approval of concealed carry permits. An insurance broker with political connections in San Jose was also charged with offering bribes in exchange permits on Monday.

In 2020, an investigation from NBC Bay Area found that donors to the Santa Clara Sheriff's political campaigns were about 14 times more likely to get a concealed weapons permit than those who didn't contribute. Sheriff Laurie Smith hasn't been charged. Previously, four people were charged with conspiracy and bribery in August as a result of the investigation.

The promised donation of the iPads was never fulfilled, according to the Santa Clara DA, because it was scuttled after a search warrant was executed for concealed carry records at the Sheriff's office in August 2019.

smithers599

Re: Apple bribed cops to get permits for employees

Post by smithers599 »

I wonder who the four employees were. Was Tim Cook one of them?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

smithers599 wrote: November 24th, 2020, 12:15 pm I wonder who the four employees were. Was Tim Cook one of them?
I doubt it would be some line cook in the cafeteria...I would guess it would be for some higher up executives.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

QuietM4 wrote: November 24th, 2020, 12:18 pm
smithers599 wrote: November 24th, 2020, 12:15 pm I wonder who the four employees were. Was Tim Cook one of them?
I doubt it would be some line cook in the cafeteria...I would guess it would be for some higher up executives.
Hmmm. No smiley emoji.
http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/1w58
xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

Way of the world, nothing to see here folks move along 🤨
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Who the phuck didnt bribe the locals to get permits out there?
samnev

Post by samnev »

QuietM4 wrote: November 24th, 2020, 12:18 pm
I agree, to drop 70K in product it s probably employees higher up the food chain.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Crippledtrigger wrote: November 24th, 2020, 8:58 pm Who the phuck didnt bribe the locals to get permits out there?
You're probably aware that permits are controlled by the Sheriffs and in some counties it's very easy to get a permit and in others it's impossible.....unless you're famous, rich, or pay a bribe.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Flash wrote: November 27th, 2020, 12:27 pm
Crippledtrigger wrote: November 24th, 2020, 8:58 pm Who the phuck didnt bribe the locals to get permits out there?
You're probably aware that permits are controlled by the Sheriffs and in some counties it's very easy to get a permit and in others it's impossible.....unless you're famous, rich, or pay a bribe.
Yep, and these bribe stories are as common as cali sucks stories, as you say. In the real just world, it would be enough for some federal judge to make an equal protection ruling and force shall issue.

2 sets of rules. Disgusting.
OH-MAN

Post by OH-MAN »

xerts1911 wrote: November 24th, 2020, 7:20 pm Way of the world, nothing to see here folks move along 🤨

Exactly, we are not the elite and therefore not entitled to such royal treatment.