Direct mount rings vs 1-piece base

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Racewin
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Direct mount rings vs 1-piece base

Post by Racewin »

Is there an accuracy difference between using the Talley rings that have an integrated base vs a solid 1-piece picatinny base and traditional rings?

TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Re: Direct mount rings vs 1-piece base

Post by TheAccountant »

I've used a set of the Talley's and they needed to be lapped. Never had any accuracy problems or issues with them holding zero though. DNZ is another option and they seem to be pretty good right of the box.

I just think in general it's easier to find a quality set of rail mount rings than it is to find the direct mount.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Direct mount rings vs 1-piece base

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I would opt for each of those different mount types for different rifles used for different things, but I doubt you'd see a difference in accuracy unless one weren't mounted properly. I like the 1-piece mounts a lot, especially since you can get them with a cant for long range shooting, but for typical hunting it just isn't necessary and it ads a little weight.

I don't know how talley is these days. I used to think of them as being really cheap, but maybe they have some good stuff now. I don't like to skimp on the rings and mounts.