One scope for multiple rifles?

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Racewin
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: One scope for multiple rifles?

Post by Racewin »

Tenring wrote: July 28th, 2020, 12:10 pm
Racewin wrote: July 27th, 2020, 4:08 pm
birdleggs1 wrote: July 27th, 2020, 12:26 pm It would be amazing to me if two rifles had the same Zero.
I was not thinking the rifles would have the same zero. My thought was that I would only have to reset the turrets.

For example, let's say I put a scope on a rifle. For the sake of this example, when I first put the scope on, both turrets are at number 0. In order to get it to zero at 100 yards, I have to adjust it 9 clicks left and 13 clicks up. With a good scope, I should be able to make adjustments for windage and/or elevation, then bring the turrets back to the "9 left/13 up" positions, and the POI will back to the same spot at 100 yards. Additionally, if it is on a good QD mount, I should be able to remove it, then put it back on with little change to the POI.

Now, let's say I take that same mount and scope, put the turrets back at number 0, then mount it on a different rifle (but don't touch the ring screws or adjust the tension on the levers). To get it to zero at 100 yards, I have to adjust it 4 clicks right, and 17 clicks up. I should be able to make windage/elevation changes, and remove/remount it with little change to POI like I could with the first rifle.

My hope was that after all of this, I could take it off rifle #2, put it back on the first rifle (again not adjusting any screws), set the turrets back to "9 left/13 up," and it would be zero'd at 100 yards.

And just so everyone knows, while I don't fully understand it, your actual experience trumps my limited logic in trying to figure it out.
FWIW I have been thinking the same and might give it a go one of these days.
Cool, please let me know how it goes if you do.

samnev

Post by samnev »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: July 27th, 2020, 4:53 am I see nothing but problems with a set up like that.
All my scoped rifles have their own scope that never comes off.
Same here. While I never intended to use 1 scope for more than 1 rifle I have moved scopes to another rifle without a scope when I bought a new scope.I've always had re-zero the old scope on the other rifle every time.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

That’s like having two cars, but only one set of tires you just swap back and forth when you want to drive the other car.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

QuietM4 wrote: August 24th, 2020, 8:55 am That’s like having two cars, but only one set of tires you just swap back and forth when you want to drive the other car.
I couldn't have put it any better. Just don't do it man. Personally, I would shoot one with iron sights if possible and then put nice glass on the other.