One scope for multiple rifles?

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Racewin
ArizonaShooting.org Member

One scope for multiple rifles?

Post by Racewin »

Is it realistic to have a single scope be useful for multiple rifles (assuming the use of a nice QD mount) simply by turning turrets as needed to each gun's original values when it was sighted in?
Last edited by Racewin on July 27th, 2020, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ballistic Therapy

Re: One scope for multiple rifles?

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I see nothing but problems with a set up like that.
All my scoped rifles have their own scope that never comes off.
DrEarlCordova

Post by DrEarlCordova »

Yeah I tried that years ago.
After a lot of messing around with setting up zeros, I now have a scope for each rifle.
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

Doesn't work. To many variables among your rifles. What if you need that rifle and it's optic less? My recommendation is to put a high quality optic on your fighting rifle and leave it. Then buy one for each of your other rifles as funds permit. You can go high quality again or less if they are range toys.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

I agree with dirt especially on my hunting rifles 1 scope and 1 type/weight ammunition per rifle. I have and will take long shots though i have yet to be comfortable on a running shot but having 1 per rifle enables me to know the zero for that set up
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Thanks for the feedback. It was my impression that good quality mounts have great return-to-zero, and good scopes track well, so it would be easy to move the scope then just set the dials to where they were when zero'd.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Got it. Thanks.
birdleggs1

Post by birdleggs1 »

QD mount can work great fora single rifle. I use them on a couple of rifles that I switch between iron sights and scope. But each has it’s own scope. It would be amazing to me if two rifles had the same Zero.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

birdleggs1 wrote: July 27th, 2020, 12:26 pm It would be amazing to me if two rifles had the same Zero.
I was not thinking the rifles would have the same zero. My thought was that I would only have to reset the turrets.

For example, let's say I put a scope on a rifle. For the sake of this example, when I first put the scope on, both turrets are at number 0. In order to get it to zero at 100 yards, I have to adjust it 9 clicks left and 13 clicks up. With a good scope, I should be able to make adjustments for windage and/or elevation, then bring the turrets back to the "9 left/13 up" positions, and the POI will back to the same spot at 100 yards. Additionally, if it is on a good QD mount, I should be able to remove it, then put it back on with little change to the POI.

Now, let's say I take that same mount and scope, put the turrets back at number 0, then mount it on a different rifle (but don't touch the ring screws or adjust the tension on the levers). To get it to zero at 100 yards, I have to adjust it 4 clicks right, and 17 clicks up. I should be able to make windage/elevation changes, and remove/remount it with little change to POI like I could with the first rifle.

My hope was that after all of this, I could take it off rifle #2, put it back on the first rifle (again not adjusting any screws), set the turrets back to "9 left/13 up," and it would be zero'd at 100 yards.

And just so everyone knows, while I don't fully understand it, your actual experience trumps my limited logic in trying to figure it out.
DrEarlCordova

Post by DrEarlCordova »

Racewin wrote: July 27th, 2020, 4:08 pm .......I was not thinking the rifles would have the same zero. My thought was that I would only have to reset the turrets......
I understand exactly what you are thinking as I had the same thoughts when I owned several rifles but could only afford one good scope and one good detachable mount.

Maybe you have more patience than me and can find the secret to figuring it all out.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Edited my original post hoping its more clear.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

AZ1182 wrote: July 27th, 2020, 10:18 pm It's possible, but what happens if that optic goes down for any reason? Can you still use those rifles with just iron sights?
No. I understand how this could matter in some situations, but in this one I am not concerned. I appreciate you looking out though.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I also went that route and have some success (albeit limited) with the idea.
Your only way to find out is to buy & try. IMO, The scope doesn't have to be a $2000 unit but should be in the $800-$1000 range at minimum... the mount is critical and should be top quality in every respect.

Get used to swapping it with two rifles before going on to a third. You will probably run up against several issues during the course of testing...
o- the same ammo doesn't always shoot to the same POI at various yards - it may be dead on at 100 but way left at 300.
o- you will need different dope for different bullets/loads in the same gun and then there is #1 again.
o- you will forget which settings are for what or the paper you wrote them down on got wet...
o- there will always be something different in the setup- was the mount pushed forward or back on that other rifle? This pic rail is tighter than the other one so I have to unscrew the lever... did I screw it back last time?

it can work but there are a lot of variables to keep in mind...
then again I find I'm always swapping scopes and having to re-sight in so I do keep a couple of the QD around for occasional use on specific rifles.
birdleggs1

Post by birdleggs1 »

Now I understand what you are saying. I don’t know how well that would work. I think it is dependent on the quality of the scope and mounts; and how close you need to be in your sighting. It won’t be perfect. Let us know how it turns out if you try.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Racewin wrote: July 27th, 2020, 4:08 pm
birdleggs1 wrote: July 27th, 2020, 12:26 pm It would be amazing to me if two rifles had the same Zero.
I was not thinking the rifles would have the same zero. My thought was that I would only have to reset the turrets.

For example, let's say I put a scope on a rifle. For the sake of this example, when I first put the scope on, both turrets are at number 0. In order to get it to zero at 100 yards, I have to adjust it 9 clicks left and 13 clicks up. With a good scope, I should be able to make adjustments for windage and/or elevation, then bring the turrets back to the "9 left/13 up" positions, and the POI will back to the same spot at 100 yards. Additionally, if it is on a good QD mount, I should be able to remove it, then put it back on with little change to the POI.

Now, let's say I take that same mount and scope, put the turrets back at number 0, then mount it on a different rifle (but don't touch the ring screws or adjust the tension on the levers). To get it to zero at 100 yards, I have to adjust it 4 clicks right, and 17 clicks up. I should be able to make windage/elevation changes, and remove/remount it with little change to POI like I could with the first rifle.

My hope was that after all of this, I could take it off rifle #2, put it back on the first rifle (again not adjusting any screws), set the turrets back to "9 left/13 up," and it would be zero'd at 100 yards.

And just so everyone knows, while I don't fully understand it, your actual experience trumps my limited logic in trying to figure it out.
FWIW I have been thinking the same and might give it a go one of these days.