Recommend Scope for M1A

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Robidouxs
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Recommend Scope for M1A

Post by Robidouxs »

Can you recommend a scope for the M1A? It is in 308 and has a 22 inch barrel. I am interested in scopes which natively work for 308 and can easily reach out to 500 yards.

semperfisurveyor
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Recommend Scope for M1A

Post by semperfisurveyor »

I put a Leupy on my M1A- 3-18x variable with the 7.62 CMRW retical. I been running a Leupy 1-6x with the same reticle on a SCAR 17....both are academic and simple to 500 yards
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Robidouxs wrote: July 16th, 2020, 6:46 am Can you recommend a scope for the M1A? It is in 308 and has a 22 inch barrel. I am interested in scopes which natively work for 308 and can easily reach out to 500 yards.
Any scope will work with an M1A.

Avoid scopes that are "calibrated" for a specific caliber...you aren't shooting the gun they tested it with, shooting the same ammo, in the same temperature, at the same elevation....it won't work for you.

Any scope with a mil-dot moa/mil system will work for you *if you learn how to properly use it.

What is your budget? $200? $2,000?
arizcowboy

Post by arizcowboy »

I haven't had the best of luck with the scope mounts for the M1A. To me that's a bigger issue than which scope to use. I've tried the ARMS, Springfield, and Bassett mounts with varying degrees of success.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

arizcowboy wrote: July 17th, 2020, 7:36 am I haven't had the best of luck with the scope mounts for the M1A. To me that's a bigger issue than which scope to use. I've tried the ARMS, Springfield, and Bassett mounts with varying degrees of success.
This is true, the mounts can be tricky to find one that works well. I ended up going with a complete sage stock and scope mount for mine. Not cheap but makes for a rock solid platform.

Im just running a vortex to be on the cheap currently. Seems to work well for as often as I shoot it but I would like to upgrade later.

these mounts work pretty well too.
https://www.sadlak.com/m1a-store