Holosun questions

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Remow2112
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Holosun questions

Post by Remow2112 »

Over this 4th there were a couple of Holosun red dots on sale. Oddly, I could not find a picture of the reticle. I really want the big circle with the dot in the middle. I have a venom now and I have to search to find the dot, not really fast like a rifle.

Does anyone know if Holosun uses the same style reticle on all of it sights?

Dan...

storage_man

Re: Holosun questions

Post by storage_man »

Well I last month bought a Holsom 507C for my SIG, and it has a selection of 5 different dot displays. From a big round circle to a single Green dot. The "C" in the model is a designation for color (I prefer GREEN). But it may depend on what model you buy ?
Howlin Mad

Post by Howlin Mad »

Some have selectable reticles, others are just single types.

Most of the circle dots are selectable and have circle dot printed on the side of the sight.

If the description doesn't say circle dot, it most likely isn't.

Go to the Holosun website and you can see all the models there.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

storage_man wrote: July 6th, 2020, 4:20 pm Well I last month bought a Holsom 507C for my SIG, and it has a selection of 5 different dot displays. From a big round circle to a single Green dot. The "C" in the model is a designation for color (I prefer GREEN). But it may depend on what model you buy ?
You sure about that? I have a 507C, and there are only 3 different reticle options. Circle, dot, or circle-dot.
Remow2112

Post by Remow2112 »

This is what I wanted. I have been to the Holosun site and I swear I could not find a break down of the reticle.

Dan...
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

Jack Dupp wrote: July 6th, 2020, 7:41 pm
storage_man wrote: July 6th, 2020, 4:20 pm Well I last month bought a Holsom 507C for my SIG, and it has a selection of 5 different dot displays. From a big round circle to a single Green dot. The "C" in the model is a designation for color (I prefer GREEN). But it may depend on what model you buy ?
You sure about that? I have a 507C, and there are only 3 different reticle options. Circle, dot, or circle-dot.
I should of looked in the manual before posting, YES - THERE ARE ONLY 3 different reticle options as you stated, not 5.
lemerese

Post by lemerese »

Looking at sights similar to the Venom... The following models of HOLOSUN reflex sights have the 32MOA circle & 2 MOA dot. Models: HE508T, HS507K, HE509T, HS507C. These models of reflex sights have the 65 MOA circle & 2 MOA dot. Models: HE512T, HE512C, HE510C, HS510C, HE512T. And this odd one has an 8 MOA circle...HS407CO V2. On most of the models I listed they have the add-ons to the model number of GR or RD for Green and Red which you have to choose when you buy. Of course, all these optics are made in China....same with Vortex until you get into the Razor line which is made in Japan. Hate to support China on anything right now but the optics are really nice...I have several HOLOSUN and Vortex optics and will probably buy more out of necessity...just wish they were made somewhere else. Hope this info helps you out. Good Luck and Good Shooting.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

There is one specialty reticle on the Holosun it is the ACSS reticle. It might be too busy for a pistol and it is proprietary to Primary Arms so finding one is almost impossible.

The big thing for me was the V2 (version 2) which has a battery try on the side so you don’t have to remove the site to change a battery.
Squirrel_Slayer
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Squirrel_Slayer »

I have a 507 and 407. As mentioned the 507c has the dual reticle. I think all of the 5 series have the dual reticle feature. ie. 507k, 508t, 507cV2 ect...

That being said I find the big circle dot busy and only use the dot. You may notice I mentioned "dual reticle" yes it has just the circle as an option....but lets be honest what good is a 32moa circle? you may as well just point shoot.

I feel the 407c is a better bargain as I only use the dot anyways. YMMV
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

the circle is used mainly in CQB... say at room distance...
or on safari at charging elephants.

this thread is a few months old... has anyone come out with any alternatives or improvements to the Holosun?

I really like my 510C, it's clear and I have no issues at all.
I'm now thinking about getting the smaller 507/407 for mounting on an XD. I still would like to have the shake-awake, solar and circle-dot reticle options. anything better from the competition yet?
yes, price is an object...
Last edited by Harrier on October 17th, 2020, 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

It looks like the 507K & 407K are the same size and slightly smaller than the comparable C series.

They dropped the solar to cut height and length. If you like the 507 circle, which I do, you can go for the 507K and get the same size as the 407K. Both still have shake awake.

https://www.holosun.com/index/product/d ... d/123.html

https://www.holosun.com/index/product/d ... d/122.html
Squirrel_Slayer

The K series are not RMR footprint. They are patterned off the smaller Shield RMS, Jpoint, Sig romeo 0 ect... They are for the new offerings like Springfields Hellcat, the P357 ect... aka slimline pistols.

Now you could have your slide machined for one but most aftermarket slides are RMR cut.

Harrier if you like the circle dot then for the price point the 507c is still likely your best bet. I bought a 407a3 for my sbr and do wish I bought the 407c (I personally don't care for the circle dot..to each their own). I like the auto adjust of the solar. I have a pretty bad astigmatism and I can dial in the dot for my eye to not bloom. but without the auto adjust it will bloom something fierce on me if adjusted say daytime bright then brought out at night.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Thanks, it appears the 507 series may be the one I should be looking at instead of the 407 series. K or C will take a little more thought... I noticed that some of their stock pics have the base mount attached, while the 407's don't have any, so they look smaller.

I have a Sight-Mark Mini Shot on a 6" 44 Mag revolver. It's about the same size and has been working out fine so far, but I like the HS better.

The 508T has the solar option and everything else at the shorter length but is a little wider and $100 more - gotta check my slide width but I like the idea of thinner. I would have my slide machined and the sight would live there so format would not be the issue unless finding a mounting plate for the XD would be a problem.

Without solar, comparison and deal shopping now includes Vortex, Burris, PSA etc. But for the price, I can't argue with my current brand experience and the crisp dot with my astigmatism...
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I think the "T" indicates Titanium shell, that accounts for the cost increase but the solar increases the size.
Squirrel_Slayer

407c, 507c and 508T all have the same RMR footprint

The 407k, 507k are smaller.

There is also the mailbox 509T which I believe has an adapter to run on RMR footprint for those who want a fully enclosed optic.

And as the poster above mentioned the T models are titanium housings. Electrically the 507c and 508T are identical.

407c and 507c are identical with the exception that the 407c has the 2moa dot only vs the multi dot configuration of the 507c. But someone showed a video if you removed the battery on the 407c and ran solar only that it has the circle dot reticle....must just be a internal programming thing to make more money by making a simple change on their end.

The V2 models with from the bottom mount 2032 battery to the side mount 1612 or something around there sized battery. The non V2 actually has a longer battery life, but you do have to remove the optic to replace. where the V2 is exterior so no return to zero issues.