Vortex

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
xerts1191
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Vortex

Post by xerts1191 »

Just bought the Vortex Strikefire II, liked the warranty and good reviews it got on Optics Planet and some other sites. OP had it to the house in three days, out of the box the dot is not really a dot, more of a star looking thing? Will get it to the range next week and see wtf it does. :shock:

superdrag67

Re: Vortex

Post by superdrag67 »

Do you wear glasses or do you have an astigmatism? Take a picture of the dot with your phone and I bet you'll find it's a perfect circle. Also make sure it's only turned up as bright as needed and not just set to full brightness, that will help with the star effect.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

and Zotar says " i see spray and pray in your future"
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

:shock: :o :clap: ^^^
jlfornoff

Post by jlfornoff »

xerts1191 wrote: June 18th, 2020, 9:27 am Just bought the Vortex Strikefire II, liked the warranty and good reviews it got on Optics Planet and some other sites. OP had it to the house in three days, out of the box the dot is not really a dot, more of a star looking thing? Will get it to the range next week and see wtf it does. :shock:
if you look at the dot directly it will be distorted... but if you look at a target through the dot it should clear it up. i have the Vortex Viper on my Ruger 57 and my dot does the same thing until i aim at a target. now i have astigmatism and i wear glasses so my dot does not clean all the way up. from what i understand the best red dot for astigmatism/glasses is a Holosun from china. i do not have experience with Holosun though.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Thank you for the info. I have a date with it at the range tomorrow, see what happens when an old man with aging eyes tries to sight it in
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I saw the same thing. I took a picture with my phone of the dot to complain about it to one of my friends. He just handed the phone back and asked what was wrong.

I can still ring the steel (whenever it goes back up) at rio with my colt and holosun. Just gotta turn it down and focus beyond.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

This should be entertaining, just finished my 3rd cup of coffee, shakiest gun in the west!
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Things went to he!! In a hand basket, bcg wouldn’t fully engage, long story short, sent gun back to manufacture, Vortex currently sits alone and afraid, to be continued.
kmj831

Post by kmj831 »

Curious how this turns out for you. Bummer about the BCG engagement issue. Nothing like getting ready, loading up and getting to the range, then not being able to finish.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Yeah I was all ready to give a full fledged review on the scope, the gun had other plans?
BananaHands

Post by BananaHands »

Just out of curiosity, when you say the BCG wouldn’t fully engage, you mean it wouldn’t go forward far enough to chamber the round?
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

That’s correct banana
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Got the rifle back from manufacture, they replaced the BCG, buffer retainer pin and spring, buffer spring. Kudos to Ruger, 18 day turnaround and no out of pocket cost for me.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

:shock: 100 rounds later, Vortex Strikefire Op Mod from Optics Planet. $199 and some change. Mounted on Ruger 8500 5.56 used 55gr and 62gr reloads at 50yrds. Took awhile to get on the paper, snakes and lizards on the hillside may have taken some casualties, target stand took a beating, all in the name of science. Like the overall quality of the build, good glass, sturdy mounting platform, the dot is nice and bright and not fuzzy as I had stated before, needed to have my glasses on :lol: Give it a solid (4) on a scale of 1-5. The adjustment dials leave a bit to be desired, caps that cover the dials fit in the groove on the dial itself, needed to pull away from the scope to adjust, then peek back in the scope to see what I was doing :doh: give that a (2) Anyway for an old retired guy that’s just a recreational shooter trying to be tacticool :ugeek: I give the scope a solid (4) Next trip 100yrds :pray: Additional info, this particular run of Vortex scopes made for Optics Planet (OP MOD) were made in CHY NAH :x Fortunatly Vortex still gives the lifetime transferrable warranty.
Last edited by xerts1191 on July 30th, 2020, 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.