Experience with Holosun Optics

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
APOModern
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Experience with Holosun Optics

Post by APOModern »

Anyone here use a Holosun optic, specifically their red dots? I have a Primary Arms atm and am debating making the switch to a slightly pricier manufacturer.

superdrag67
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Experience with Holosun Optics

Post by superdrag67 »

I have a couple of older PA ones. Not the newer advanced red dots though which are probably more of the equivalent to Holosun stuff.

I also have a 503GU. I like it quite a bit. The auto on/off feature is nice. It has a long battery life and I like the circle/dot reticle as opposed to just the plain dot.

I did quite a bit of reading and it seems like all the 5xx stuff has pretty good reviews. The 4xx Holosun dots seemed like they had more mixed reviews.

I'll probably end up swapping out my older PA dots for Holosuns in the future.

IIRC, it's rumored that PA's advanced dot is made by Holosun but who knows.
APOModern

Post by APOModern »

superdrag67 wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 5:33 pm I have a couple of older PA ones. Not the newer advanced red dots though which are probably more of the equivalent to Holosun stuff.

I also have a 503GU. I like it quite a bit. The auto on/off feature is nice. It has a long battery life and I like the circle/dot reticle as opposed to just the plain dot.

I did quite a bit of reading and it seems like all the 5xx stuff has pretty good reviews. The 4xx Holosun dots seemed like they had more mixed reviews.

I'll probably end up swapping out my older PA dots for Holosuns in the future.

IIRC, it's rumored that PA's advanced dot is made by Holosun but who knows.
I keep hearing that about Holosun making that as well, but cannot confirm. The auto on/off is the main reason I want to make the switch tied with the Holosun's choice of reticles compared to my simple 2MOA dot on my PA
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I have several and have had no issues. Now i am not an "operator" and don't pop out of rivers and lakes firing. That said there are some fairly indepth you tube reviews that can only find one fault with the Holsun optics and that relates to submersion in water. Where an aimpoint is absolutely waterproof the holsun is not. But if you don't need to submerge your rifle this is probably not a huge issue. At less than half the cost of an aimpoint you can't go wrong. That said its a chinese optic, it will not be as good as the aimpoint, but its not bad either. I like the ones i have and will buy more.
APOModern

Post by APOModern »

h8pvmnt wrote: June 25th, 2018, 11:59 am I have several and have had no issues. Now i am not an "operator" and don't pop out of rivers and lakes firing. That said there are some fairly indepth you tube reviews that can only find one fault with the Holsun optics and that relates to submersion in water. Where an aimpoint is absolutely waterproof the holsun is not. But if you don't need to submerge your rifle this is probably not a huge issue. At less than half the cost of an aimpoint you can't go wrong. That said its a chinese optic, it will not be as good as the aimpoint, but its not bad either. I like the ones i have and will buy more.
I am okay with not having the underwater capabilities and track record of an aimpoint atm. Sounds like Holosun really is the way to go below 3 or 400 for an optic.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

In the price point it's hard to beat a Vortex with the lifetime warranty.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

Vortex offers a generous veteran's discount.
APOModern

Post by APOModern »

AZ1 wrote: July 14th, 2018, 1:30 pm In the price point it's hard to beat a Vortex with the lifetime warranty.
It really does make it life-proof, worth the money. Still pricey
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I've got an older hs406a that's been as reliable as an anvil. I'm gonna buy sometime this year a solar holosun of stone kind. I'm not decided on which model yet.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Primary Arms has some Holosuns on sale right now
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Sweet. I'll have to check out PA later today.
Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

The same company that makes the Holosun makes Primary Arms and Sigs red dots. It's the same optic just slightly different specs per contract request. PA has the ACSS reticle which is pretty great for most people. The solar powered feature Holosun likes is a pretty situational gimmick. I have a PA ADS microdot I've had on for over a year now on one of our training rifles and it's still going strong. We have way better options now for the mid price range between combat optics and wal-mart optics. PA has a great dealer pricing and you can get some good deals if you're friendly with a dealer doing their part orders.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Stronghand wrote: August 8th, 2018, 10:24 am The same company that makes the Holosun makes Primary Arms and Sigs red dots. It's the same optic just slightly different specs per contract request.
I've seen this claim before, but is there any proof?
Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

Go take em apart. They're imported from the same company in China. If I had a Holosun here I would and take pics.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

One of the guys I shoot with bought a Holosun a few weeks ago. Shot it last week with us and this week the battery was dead so low setting he got two weeks out of a battery. Has already turned off on him once battery was replaced. He was saying something about the batteries not being able to handle recoil, first I ever heard of that crap.