Troubleshooting an EoTech 517

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
jlfornoff
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Troubleshooting an EoTech 517

Post by jlfornoff »

i have an old EoTech 517 on my AR-15, i went to go show it off a little and when i tried to turn on the sight it wouldn't turn on. does anyone have experience troubleshooting these? i know that they had issues back then with their sights and there was a lawsuit and a recall, but i would rather not have to throw this optic away, it's been good to me for 10 years or so. the batteries were corroded and slightly expanded when i opened up the optic (i forgot to remove them before i 'safed' my gun). i've cleaned up all the corrosion on all the contacts and and put fresh batteries in it still won't turn on. can anyone help?

Crippledtrigger

Re: Troubleshooting an EoTech 517

Post by Crippledtrigger »

It might be screwed then. You definitely avoided any possibility of them even looking at it with the leaking battery.

I would clean the terminal ends and battery case as much as possible. Then give it a shot again.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

jlfornoff wrote: May 4th, 2020, 7:18 am i have an old EoTech 517 on my AR-15, i went to go show it off a little and when i tried to turn on the sight it wouldn't turn on. does anyone have experience troubleshooting these? i know that they had issues back then with their sights and there was a lawsuit and a recall, but i would rather not have to throw this optic away, it's been good to me for 10 years or so. the batteries were corroded and slightly expanded when i opened up the optic (i forgot to remove them before i 'safed' my gun). i've cleaned up all the corrosion on all the contacts and and put fresh batteries in it still won't turn on. can anyone help?
I would clean it all up and call customer service at EO tech and just talk to them about it and see if they can help. What would it hurt??
Howlin Mad

Post by Howlin Mad »

Who made the batteries?

Used to be if it was one of the major companies like Engergizer or Eveready they would pay for replacement of anything damaged by their batteries.

Got a couple new flashlights that way back when.

Might be worth it to contact them and see.

Course, if they are China batteries you're SOL
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

EoTech sells the contacts that go in the cover and an entire new cover because that happens often in HOT weather.

The contacts are cheap and entire replacement "battery compartment is under $20. I've replace my contacts twice so far.
jlfornoff

Post by jlfornoff »

YNOTAZ wrote: May 10th, 2020, 2:45 pm EoTech sells the contacts that go in the cover and an entire new cover because that happens often in HOT weather.

The contacts are cheap and entire replacement "battery compartment is under $20. I've replace my contacts twice so far.
where do you find a replacement battery pack? I can't find any.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I bought contacts for mine several years ago after a battery leak. Try the EoTech web site or ebay. I just searched until I found someone with something in stock.
laabstract

Post by laabstract »

jlfornoff wrote: May 11th, 2020, 11:16 am
YNOTAZ wrote: May 10th, 2020, 2:45 pm EoTech sells the contacts that go in the cover and an entire new cover because that happens often in HOT weather.

where do you find a replacement battery pack? I can't find any.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/eotech-sig ... odels.html

There are two factors you need to look at one is was it made prior to 2009, and the second is the model number. WHAT I LINKED WILL NOT WORK WITH YOUR MODEL. I would contact Eotech and see if you can purchase a similar kit for a 517. If the contacts are corroded on the removable battery compartment that must be replaced as well.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/eotech-bat ... ights.html
jlfornoff

Post by jlfornoff »

thank you for all the help... I will try to get ahold of them on it again. but since then I went with a Huey!
Attachments
huey.jpg