Pistol Red Dot

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Bigfoot
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Pistol Red Dot

Post by Bigfoot »

Anyone have any good tips to picking up the dot on a pistol mounted red dot?

I've been doing a lot of dry fire practice and it's getting better, but when I take a break and come back to it, I'm still not quite there yet.

So much practice I found that my holster needed some adjustment (sanding the kydex) because it was rubbing my middle finger raw when gripping the gun.

shooter444

Re: Pistol Red Dot

Post by shooter444 »

Only tip I have, after many months of trying to get on sight quickly, is to hold the pistol close to your eye as comfortably possible. Then, start moving it out further away, until you reach your sweet spot. I found mine to be about 12 to 14 inches.

Your mileage may differ.
Last edited by shooter444 on April 11th, 2020, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Replace the front sight with a blade that will co-witness with the dot and you'll never lose the dot again. Problem solved.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

Interesting thoughts. Appreciate them. I kept working yesterday and discovered that as I'm bringing the gun up, I'm sort of stuck in old habits for irons.

I'm bringing it up with the barrel canted up slightly, but since I'm not using the rear sight, I'm not bringing the rear up to drop the front into the rear once I "find" it (since it's basically not there).

With only one focal plane, it's throwing me off ever so slightly. So now in my dry fire practice, I'm focusing my presentation more level and more at eye level. Seems to be working.

Still looking for more input. Can never learn enough.
boulder
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by boulder »

Practice, practice and practice. That said I found cowitness sights helped a lot. The problem is with the MOS they also reduce the amount of holsters that can be used. Many of my older holsters simply were not made for this.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

I"ve quite a few with red dots, and have one in particular that does not have a front site to corrolate from, i can after quite a bit of range time, get it squared away and hit the 8inch gong at 50 with it, but takes some doing. i'm attempting to find a correct height front site, to install to see if it works out.
as for red dots, burris fast fire, vortex venom, aide, i've quite a few as i have this thing about trying out lots of goods to find the one i like, for the pcc, i really like the romeo 5, incredibly accurate once sited in, and shake awake is the deal for me, as i forget where i am, let alone turning something off, which reminds me, dang it did i shut down the argon bottle last nite, dammit,
Rj
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I thought I smelled argon
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

Irons help, practice helps more.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

Tim McBride wrote: April 11th, 2020, 8:06 am Irons help, practice helps more.
The practice thing for sure. I noticed another thing this morning, that when I have the most problems finding it is when I for some reason am "turtling" my head. Fixed it this morning and issues gone. Now to stop doing it "subconsciously."
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

Bigfoot wrote: April 11th, 2020, 10:08 am
Tim McBride wrote: April 11th, 2020, 8:06 am Irons help, practice helps more.
The practice thing for sure. I noticed another thing this morning, that when I have the most problems finding it is when I for some reason am "turtling" my head. Fixed it this morning and issues gone. Now to stop doing it "subconsciously."
If you are anything like me you've shot an iron sighted handgun for decades. 10's upon 10's of thousands of rounds. It takes a lot of time and practice to change how you've been shooting.
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

If you have your irons setup for a good co-witness then use your irons, just like you have for years, to lead you eye to the dot. Do not go looking for the dot, that will really slow you down, bad habit to form. Perfect practice, practice and more practice, just like any thing else in shooting.
mbaza3

Post by mbaza3 »

I put a Tijicon SRO on my XDM competition pistol and it is very easy to pickup and find the dot. I had a holosun red dot and was always chasing for the dot.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

mbaza3 wrote: April 11th, 2020, 2:55 pm I put a Tijicon SRO on my XDM competition pistol and it is very easy to pickup and find the dot. I had a holosun red dot and was always chasing for the dot.
I have the Holosun 507C. Hmmm
G34

Post by G34 »

the optic has nothing to do with you picking up the dot. You need to practice on fundamentals and work on your draw.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

G34 wrote: April 12th, 2020, 6:48 am the optic has nothing to do with you picking up the dot. You need to practice on fundamentals and work on your draw.
I agree. The more I dry fire practice, the more inconsistencies I'm finding with my presentation and what I'm doing with my head. It's crazy man!!!