AR15 SBR - What scope

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
TacoTime
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: AR15 SBR - What scope

Post by TacoTime »

im putting an elcan specter on my SBR. Was thinking of getting a eotech EXPS3.0 but fell into an elcan

Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Oooh, the specters are cool!
Chris_Y

Post by Chris_Y »

I have run a few different 1-4 and EOTech HWS on my 9" 300BLK and always find myself coming back to the Aimpoint T2
freefly

Post by freefly »

dustmaker wrote: April 10th, 2020, 7:54 am Maybe something like the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 x 24. They also make a 1X8 PST if you want to take a step up from the strike eagle.

I own several Vortex's and like them enough to recommend them.

dusty
If going with an entry-level LVPO, I would agree. Also, they do have a 1-8x Strike Eagle.
Can't beat the Vortex warranty either.
freefly

Post by freefly »

AZ1182 wrote: July 8th, 2020, 12:36 am
Racewin wrote: July 8th, 2020, 12:10 am Depends on use and barrel length. 9" for CQB...Vortex/Sig/Aimpoint red dot. Unpinned 14.5" for 'all-around' use, the above mentioned Strike Eagle 1-6 could be great.
That's actually personal preference and not to do with barrel length or use.

The LPVO is fine for those that want it on their SBR's or pistols.
Well, technically he has a point. An LVPO is fine on an SBR, but if you are considering one wih a BDC reticle, you should understand that they are typically "calibrated" with a specific caliber and barrel length (and at a specific magnification if SFP). So, barrel length can effect the accuracy/efficacy of the reticle's BDC function. Though it's usually not too much of an issue to create your own "dope" in such cases, it's something to keep in mind.
Last edited by freefly on July 9th, 2020, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freefly

Post by freefly »

Double tap...
Last edited by freefly on July 9th, 2020, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freefly

Post by freefly »

AZ1182 wrote: July 8th, 2020, 12:36 am Technically he's not. For starters less barrel flex.
It's a minor issue but it still exists, and you are still wrong...and it has nothing to do with "barrel flex", lol.
freefly

Post by freefly »

AZ1182 wrote: July 9th, 2020, 5:02 pm Saying I'm wrong still doesn't make you any more right, lol.
I am right. Barrel length has an effect on BDC. It's a fact, because...ballistics. It might not be a big effect, depending on the amount of deviation from the barrel length that a specific BDC reticle was calibrated with, but it exists nonetheless. If using a 7.5" SBR, with a BDC-reticle scope that was calibrated with a 20" barrel, you will definitely have issues.

This is why .ml-issue ACOGs have different stadia spacing on their BDC reticles for M4 models (14.5" barrel) vs. A4 models (20" barrel), even though both use the same round. And again, the accuracy/usability of a BDC reticle has nothing to do with "barrel flex".
AZ1182 wrote: July 9th, 2020, 5:02 pm Cute that you left out that link or didn't bother mentioning about it because it's proving that you're incorrect.
Your link simply shows a guy using a LVPO on an SBR in a competition. That is all.
Cute that you think it means anything more. Just own up to be being wrong.

You chastised a poster for posting "bad info" when he suggested a red dot for an SBR for CQB duties, and an LVPO on a longer-barrel rifle, depending on the intended use. There was nothing wrong with that suggestion. Then you proceeded to follow up by posting "bad info" yourself.
freefly

Post by freefly »

AZ1182 wrote: July 8th, 2020, 3:09 pm just like the OP that asked for suggestions for an LPVO, and not a red dot...or he would have asked for one, mr from the internet and here to help.
Huh? The OP made no such distinctions in asking for suggestions.
So I have a suggestion for you:

Learn how to read, or kindly STFU.
freefly

Post by freefly »

AZ1182 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 4:44 pm Please take your own advice, and fess up, and own that you were wrong. A simple Google search shows that the people that are using the LPVO on short barrels from industry professionals to actual users with lots of success are out there, making your augment nothing but a joke based on a bruised ego.
What's "my argument" again? LOL...

I simply made an observation (see post #25), to which you replied with a nonsensical argument about "barrel flex" or some other gibberish. So, you can't even follow your own posts, let alone a simple thread progression.

Try actually reading the posts you are replying to sometime.
You will look like much less of a buffoon when doing so.
AZ1182 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 4:44 pm There was nothing wrong with an LPVO for CQB, it's already being used by professionals, one of which I linked to showing that your argument counter is a fallacy, showing that all you and the other person have is an opinion, not based from solid expertise.
I never made an "argument counter to" LVPO's being OK here. I suggested them early on.

Learn how to read, or kindly STFU.
AZ1182 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 4:44 pm The beauty of this system is that there's no wrong answer or wrong way or even a right way..
Then why did you call out the other guy for posting "bad info" if that's the case?
AZ1182 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 4:44 pm You came to me with a bur in your saddle over some imaginary wrong, not me to you, and that is the actual problem here.
You seem to have an inflated self-image. Sorry, you aren't that important to me. I don't even know who you are, other than some (failing) internet wannabe know-it-all.

I simply made the factual observation that the guy you were criticizing for posting "bad info" actually had a point. Then your "bruised ego" couldn't handle it, and you proceeded with further keyboard vomiting. So, the actual problem is that you are both arrogant and ignorant, while also lacking basic / fundamental reading skills...what a winning combo!
AZ1182 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 4:44 pm Consider your future posts ignored
Do you promise? LOL, whatever will I do, now that Mr. Self-Important will be ignoring all of my future posts?
I'm crushed! :lol:
AZ1182 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 4:44 pm because this will go nowhere because you are stubbornly unwilling to learn that there's actually more than your way of doing things
Oh, the irony! And please quote the post where I even alluded to there only being "just my way of doing things". I'll wait.

Though, I will concede that it's impossible to convince someone of anything via written words, when that person is a complete illiterate. So, you got me there...
AZ1182 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 4:44 pm and I have better things to do over some internet argument that you injected yourself into, uninvited even.
Uninvited? LOL! Sorry, I forgot you were the self-imposed forum sheriff and post marshal. :roll:
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Do you two want to be alone?
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

freefly

Post by freefly »

AZ1182 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 8:46 pm Consider your future posts ignored, because this will go nowhere because you are stubbornly unwilling to learn that there's actually more than your way of doing things, and I have better things to do over some internet argument that you injected yourself into, uninvited even.
Hey, I thought you were ignoring all of my future posts?

Do I need to explain what "ignoring" means as well? LOL.

Again: Learn how to read, or kindly STFU.

^^^ Hey look, I found the "BOLD" button too! :dance:
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I think the point you are trying to make about different barrel lengths, is that the velocity of the same load will be different, and that is what affects the difference in the effective BDC bullet drop... not the barrel length specifically....
this is another example where velocity is everything...

ETA... This is what I get for not reading all the posts... replying to a one sided argument (the other side is already on my ignore list... as i get it...
freefly

Post by freefly »

Harrier wrote: July 11th, 2020, 4:04 am I think the point you are trying to make about different barrel lengths, is that the velocity of the same load will be different, and that is what affects the difference in the effective BDC bullet drop... not the barrel length specifically....
this is another example where velocity is everything...
Zactly.

Lots of factors that determine specific trajectory / drop: Bc, bullet weight, drag, atmospheric conditions/altitude, aaaand initial VELOCITY!

All else being equal, longer barrel = more velocity (to a point; there is typically an apogee / plateau, and the velocity increase is often non-linear, with "sweet spots" along the way). Therefore, a BDC reticle that is calibrated / dead-on with specific load out of a 20" barrel is going to be way off with that same load out of a 8" barrel. Not really rocket surgery here, right?
Harrier wrote: July 11th, 2020, 4:04 am ETA... This is what I get for not reading all the posts...
Sorry, here's the Cliff's Notes version:

OP: Hey what optic is good for an SBR?
Racewin: Depends on barrel length and use. Maybe red dot for CQB and LPVO for longer barrel.
AzAsshat: No! It has nothing to do with barrel length! LPVO is fine for CQB! Look at this internet link proving it! You are posting bad info!
Everyone else: Calm your tits.
Me: Yes, LPVO is fine for SBR, but the guy has a point.
Barrel length can have an effect on a LPVO scope with BDC reticle.
AZAsshat: No he doesn't have a point! And you are wrong, because...less barrel flex!
Oh, and here's that irrelevant link again!
Me: Barrel flex? Are you drunk? Sorry, you are wrong.
AZAsshat: Uh, just because I am wrong doesn't mean you are right, errrr, I mean uhhhh, potato!
Me: Are you having a stroke? Here, let me try to explain why BDC reticles are effected by....
AZAsshat: You are wrong! LPVO fine for CQB! Didn't you see the link I posted proving it!!!
Me: Jesus Christ...looks like we have a bona-fine window-licker here.
AZAsshat: I am ignoring all of your future posts! And you were not even invited here!
ME: LOL...

And SCENE...
Harrier wrote: July 11th, 2020, 4:04 am the other side is already on my ignore list... as i get it...
Wise choice.