AR15 SBR - What scope

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: AR15 SBR - What scope

Post by QuietM4 »

I wish there was a “like” button for posts....

Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

Geez. To clarify things for the children in the room.

Optics are a matter of preference if we are discussing Red Dot v. LPVO. More then anything you need to actually use what you get. I am of the opinion that red dots are easier to use for a new shooter and the lack of parallax plus large eye box is a big positive in typical HD scenarios.

BDC reticles are exactly what one poster mentioned, they are calibrated for a specific barrel length and a specific load. Using a different barrel length and/or loading (then the BDC was designed around) will result in subpar performance. The further you get from what it was designed around the worse it will be.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Somewhere along the line someone mentioned CQB... don't know where that came in but AFAIC the red dot is far superior for that scenario... and any BDC POI differences will also not amount to squat at CQB distances (25yd or less).
Hell, even iron sights should be GTG at that range...
Where accuracy will typically fall off with the Red dot and pick-up with the LPVO... will be past 50yds out to 100, and where the load and velocity will make a noticeable difference with a BDC reticle will be about 100-200 yds, 300 fer sure.
veteran1981
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by veteran1981 »

Depending on what barrel length sbr
10-11 inch go a red dot
Aimpoint is my go to.
If you want an lpvo then a 1-4 is a good choice
Know a few guys that run both, just depends on the intended use. Red dot definitely has more advantage in quick shooting
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

AZ1182 wrote: July 12th, 2020, 9:16 am What advantage? Weight? If that's super important to the user, then I'd agree, go for the red dot. But f any astigmatism is at play and doesn't think that the extra weight is anything bad, then the LPVO is superior as those that are illuminated don't give issues to those with astigmatism.

But this thread was about what scope, not what red dot, and people took it too far trying to persuade not to get a red dot.

Saw a post on Facebook that BCM shared from Kyle Defoor part of hs everyday tools is an AR pistol with a 1-6 Razor. Pretty sure he knows more about the subject than hobbyists that got their jimmies n a wad over it, because they'd rather argue about it rather than gong out and shoot or courses to actually learn something.

But I digress. The beauty of the AR is that there's no wrong answer or wrong way to go about it. We should be supportive, not seeking to change people from doing things with kit that we don't approve of.
Kyle Defoor likely has multitudes more trigger time then any of us here. He likely would outperform any of us with an A1 carbine. Just because a SF guy uses something doesn't mean it's the right tool for the average gun owner who will never shoot more then a few hundred rounds a year; and for most those rounds will not be shot in any formal setting, whether it's competition or training. I think we need to be careful on why we recommend something.
Harley66

Post by Harley66 »

Vote for red dot
tlieberman240

Post by tlieberman240 »

TacoTime wrote: July 8th, 2020, 9:41 pm im putting an elcan specter on my SBR. Was thinking of getting a eotech EXPS3.0 but fell into an elcan
While I prefer red dots, I know some cool people who are doing cool things in various places and many of them enjoy using the Elcans on SBRs. Typically 11.5 or 12.5 length and some type of offset red dot. I haven’t tried it so I can’t comment, but it sounds interesting.