If you have astigmatism , only red dot to get: holosun

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Viperdisorder
ArizonaShooting.org Member

If you have astigmatism , only red dot to get: holosun

Post by Viperdisorder »

The holosun with the circle and dots show up with no blurr for us guys that have problems with our eyes, love the small pistol mounted models, regular dots , even with glasses, looks like a comma

Harrier

Re: If you have astigmatism , only red dot to get: holosun

Post by Harrier »

Ever since I got my cataracs done, I have had the red-dot blurries. My Bushnell/EOTech has to be sold cuz it has them but my Holosun is still clear as a bell.
Toy00taco
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Toy00taco »

I have the same problem with red dots, never tried a Holosun but the Vortex Spitfire 1x works well for me. But because it’s actually a prism scope and not a red dot Vortex says you can’t use a magnifier behind it.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Interesting. What is it about the Holosuns that work better than the others for those with an astigmatism?
mbaza3

Post by mbaza3 »

I have a red MRO and while I do not have an astigmatism the dot is not crisp. I tested taking a picture of the dot with my phone and it was crisp.

I was thinking of trying a green dot MRO. Has anyone had success with green vs red?
Dauph

Post by Dauph »

Jack Dupp wrote: March 28th, 2020, 9:40 am Interesting. What is it about the Holosuns that work better than the others for those with an astigmatism?
Wondering the same thing here.

Got an Aimpoint Pro, gives me a slight burr but not bad.
dotard

Post by dotard »

And here I thought they were supposed to be blurry.... Eye problems are quite frustrating. I have learned to accept the blur as the price to be paid. Eotech, Romeo, Aimpoint have all been blurry through my craptastic eyes. Going to have to try a Holosun now.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Thanks for sharing this info. those of us with aging eyes find your experience very useful
Toy00taco

Post by Toy00taco »

I thought there was something wrong with the first red dot I purchased and then found out about testing yourself for astigmatism with the picture method and also looking through a small hole punched through a piece of paper and sure enough it made the dot crisp. Went to the have my eyes checked by a DR and was prescribed glasses for astigmatism. Without glasses I notice the brighter the red dot is turned up the more blurry it looks to me.
Flash

Post by Flash »

The only reasons dots are blurry are if you have astigmatism or if you've got the dot intensity turned up too high for the ambient light.

I'm amazed at how many people have astigmatism and refuse to get glasses to correct it.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Guys.. if you are over 50ish or had cataract surgery when you have your normal eye exam they do not adjust your corrected vision for astigmatism unless your specifically ask your optometrist to correct your glasses for your astigmatism. A few years ago, I took my Aimpoint into my exam and told my eye doc to correct my glasses script to make the dot round. He did and now all red dots are round.

I asked him why he did do this as a regular part of an eye exam and he told me that they do not test for this in older folks or for those who have cataract surgery.

The solution is out there, you just need to get your doctor to do the test.
vvalter_vvhite

Post by vvalter_vvhite »

I have tried the mid priced red dots and they are all the same, look like a troll head because of my astigmatism. The only red dot I have now is the vortex Spitfire which is a Prism and not a red dot. The last red dot I tried is the MRO and it was worse than the $20 amazon red dot I use with my 22LR.
vvalter_vvhite

Post by vvalter_vvhite »

Op, what particular model number are you referring to? Thanks
WM83
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by WM83 »

vvalter_vvhite wrote: March 28th, 2020, 10:24 pm I have tried the mid priced red dots and they are all the same, look like a troll head because of my astigmatism. The only red dot I have now is the vortex Spitfire which is a Prism and not a red dot. The last red dot I tried is the MRO and it was worse than the $20 amazon red dot I use with my 22LR.
Vortex is a good option
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I had the blurry red dot syndrome after I had cataract surgery a year or so ago. I don't need glasses since I now have 20/20 vison since the surgery, but ever since then, a red dot sight picture looks like a tiny bunch of grapes. That occurred for me regardless if the red dot was expensive like an Aimpoint Comp or something cheap like the Bushnell TRS 25.

I decided to slowly change over to low power variable scopes that have the illuminated "doughnuts of death" reticles. So on my AR's I've been using a couple of Burris MTAC scopes and also Vortex Strike Eagles. I don't think a scope is as durable as an Aimpoint but they're better long distances since they have some magnification.