Holosun 507C Red Dot

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Bigfoot
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Holosun 507C Red Dot

Post by Bigfoot »

I used my Cabela's points and got myself a Holosun 507C and installed it on my Steyr M9. Went up to shooters world today and got it sighted in. Took a lot of turns on the adjusters, but I finally got it there.

Put about 100 rounds down range and have to say, wish I had done this sooner. My "getting older" eyes were having a trouble finding and focusing on my front sight. Wow, what a difference a red dot makes.

Really looking forward to putting a bunch more rounds through this now. Might have to get a second one for another gun now. LOL

knockonit

Re: Holosun 507C Red Dot

Post by knockonit »

nice to hear, another fella we shoot with has a holosun, i've the romeos, the venoms, burris ect. on a few pistols and pc, and yes on excellent target acquistion, i really like them so much i've gotten a few more to add to hand cannons
best of luck with it
Rj
thom

Post by thom »

I had cataracts replaced and found that the holosun 507c is terrific. I put one on a pistol and can actually see the sights on the target.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Great info
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

xerts1191 wrote: March 28th, 2020, 12:34 pmGreat info
Picking up the red dot is quite different than a traditional sight. I'm having to do a lot of dry fire practice to get better at finding the dot as I bring it up to find my sight picture.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

That's the truth. After trying to index the dot right upon presentation, going back to irons is a snap.
AZGlock21

Post by AZGlock21 »

Bigfoot wrote: March 28th, 2020, 5:46 pm
Picking up the red dot is quite different than a traditional sight. I'm having to do a lot of dry fire practice to get better at finding the dot as I bring it up to find my sight picture.
One thing when trying to get used to a RMR or whatever RDS you are using is to subconsciously try to line the rear of the slide with the tip of your nose when you draw. Sounds stupid but quite often it will put you right where you need to be.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

AZGlock21 wrote: March 28th, 2020, 8:12 pm
Bigfoot wrote: March 28th, 2020, 5:46 pm
One thing when trying to get used to a RMR or whatever RDS you are using is to subconsciously try to line the rear of the slide with the tip of your nose when you draw. Sounds stupid but quite often it will put you right where you need to be.
Interesting. I'll have to try that.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

AZ1182 wrote: March 28th, 2020, 8:50 pm I have a slight astigmatism, red dots on a pistol are a no go for me. Eventually I will be replacing the Aimpoints on all of my rifles with either an ACOG or a quality LPVO.
Why does an astigmatism prevent you from using red dots on pistols? I'm no eye doctor, so I don't quite understand.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

AZ1182 wrote: March 29th, 2020, 1:47 pm
Bigfoot wrote: March 29th, 2020, 8:53 am
AZ1182 wrote: March 28th, 2020, 8:50 pm I have a slight astigmatism, red dots on a pistol are a no go for me. Eventually I will be replacing the Aimpoints on all of my rifles with either an ACOG or a quality LPVO.
Why does an astigmatism prevent you from using red dots on pistols? I'm no eye doctor, so I don't quite understand.
Because a slight sunburst isn't intuitive, and my times from the draw to the first and last shots fired made me slower than I ever could be with irons. Plus irons don't give me migraines.

Given enough time I am sure things will get better and smaller. As far as red dots and astigmatism goes, I've heard good things about Eotech now that they've fixed their big mess up, and good things about Vortex's prism sights as well. Plus the newer Trijicon MRO's don't blur. I've heard that about Aimpoint's Comp M5 as well but no actual conformation from those with astigmatism that I know of.
Wow, that sounds like a bummer. Good to hear others are sort of addressing that though.
Geekmedic

Post by Geekmedic »

I recently bought a 507c as well as a 508t. I have really enjoyed both sights. I have struggled with not being able to focus on the front sight for a while, and it sure is nice to be able to keep both eyes open and see the circle and dot clearly for a change.
cjr

Post by cjr »

Bought a 508T-gr (green reticle). This so far my favorite sight for my pistols. About 500rds. of 9mm w/out any glitches.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

Geekmedic wrote: April 12th, 2020, 9:50 am I recently bought a 507c as well as a 508t. I have really enjoyed both sights. I have struggled with not being able to focus on the front sight for a while, and it sure is nice to be able to keep both eyes open and see the circle and dot clearly for a change.
Yeah, I'm liking it more and more all the time. Still learning to pic up the dot faster though.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

cjr wrote: April 13th, 2020, 2:54 am Bought a 508T-gr (green reticle). This so far my favorite sight for my pistols. About 500rds. of 9mm w/out any glitches.
If and when I decide to do my other pistol, I may look into the 508.
theChad

Post by theChad »

Hey man!
How you carrying that comfortably with the noticably larger sight on top? OWB leftie hip? IWB leftie 7-8 o'clock? Just curious because I know you're about my size, but in a leftie package. Might need good ideas for a 1911 frame and a red Dot of sorts.