recommend a scope for my use

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
WRMorrison
ArizonaShooting.org Member

recommend a scope for my use

Post by WRMorrison »

I picked up a used AR10 in .308 with 18" barrel. It's currently got a cheaper 3-9x40 on it with standard reticle. I plan to use it as a plinker for up to 500 yards (likely stay between 100-300 the majority of the time).

I'll try out what it has first and see how I like it, but just in case, can someone recommend a budget (<$300) fixed 10x scope with illuminated dot reticle? I don't care about range-finding, BDC, etc. I would like to have side-focus and target knobs if possible, but not a deal-breaker if it doesn't. All other options are negotiable.

-WRM
Last edited by WRMorrison on November 7th, 2019, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

QuietM4

Re: recommend a scope for my use

Post by QuietM4 »

At that price range, check out offerings from Primary Arms. They have a full line of scopes sub $300.
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

Nikon's AR Riflescopes are a surprisingly good value with a name you know and a warranty worth a damn.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

DRTDIVR wrote: October 31st, 2019, 6:01 pm Nikon's AR Riflescopes are a surprisingly good value with a name you know and a warranty worth a damn.
Yup. https://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-ta ... 12x40.html
Yugmoto1

Post by Yugmoto1 »

I've got a Nikon M223 on one of my ARs, I've got a lot of rounds downrange with no issues. When I bought it it was on sale and they threw in the mount, it was a pretty good deal. I can't remember if it was Brownells or optics planet. Nikon makes the same scope for 308. I also have a Primary Arms 1-6 on an AK that so far has been great and a PA 3x on another AR that works well, both have the ACSS reticle. Probably would buy both gain. Though I have used the Nikon a lot more. Does anyone have any experience with the Swampfox optics? Seems like the write-ups are good, but they kinda always are...
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I like fixed 10X scopes. I let one go in a rifle trade many years ago, been missing it ever since. It was a Bushnell Tactical 10X with GREAT target turrets and a mill dot reticle. Not illuminated dot, but, I don't know of a better one for less than $250. The reticle may be a bit heavy for 500 yard work on small varmint, or not,... only you can decide for sure.

Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Don't buy a cheap scope- I have lots of them I will sell you -

They work fine but all have some little nitnoid to deal with... its like they seem to be wearing wool instead of silk.
Little things... like the wrong reticle for the use, touchy AO adjustments, mil-dot + moa turrets (common), tight eye-box requires precise cheek point, blurry edge spots, non-repeatable or mushy turret clicks,not-illuminated, 1"tube, heavy... etc, etc

you don't have to buy into the Night-force price range to get good quality but your best 'value' comes in the mid-range $400-$800 area. Primarily Look for good glass and repeatable adjustments with positive clicks... and a bulletproof warranty.

Once you read the various specs and reviews and decide on a few models- go down to a couple big box stores and look thru the glass- try to find a long distance view in natural light (out of their fluorescent crap) and then somewhere in lower light like their back stock room... or better yet someone with one you can try out.

About a year ago I was looking for a LR scope and the new Vortex StrikeEagle 6-24 had all the right specs...for about $500... it was (is) a lower priced version of their PST (I) which sold for 900 on the street. I couldn't find one anywhere and the front focal plane PST went on fire sale for about $600... so I got one of those like right now! about 2 weeks later Sportsman's got a StrikeEagle in stock so I was able to compare the two and I could have been happy with the cheaper model, although it is a Chinese product so I don't know how it would hold up over time and recoil, but Vortex has a good warranty. I am very happy with my PST. I have 4 or 5 other Vortex products and like them all. I discovered the reason for the fire sale was the new PST-II was coming out so everyone was selling off their stock.

Other good brands with some lower price point offerings include Burris (made in USA), Nikon, PA, SWFA (? the swampfox referred to above?), then you move up to Leupold, Meopta, Minox in the higher side of mid-range