Motion activated red dot sights

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Motion activated red dot sights

Post by Flash »

AZ1 wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 5:15 pm
superduty38 wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 8:59 am Curious. Why would you want a motion activated sight when a Trijicon RMR that is always on and self adjusts to outside light can run more than a year on it's battery. Seems like just something more to go wrong in a sight to have to rely on an extra sensor.
Cost. I picked up the Romeo5 for a third of the RMR cost. I know it's probably not comparable quality wise, but for my needs it should work. It also co-witnesses with my iron sights. This video sold me on the Romeo5. So far the motion sensor has operated perfectly.

Three of us in my weekly shooting group have these and we've had no problems whatsoever. They work well.

Blue109

Post by Blue109 »

I have a shield RMS on one of my pistols. Its an "ALWAYS ON" reflex and they advertise 2 years battery life or something like that. I left it in direct light 24/7 and it started to lose brightness at 6 months so I have a pretty good baseline on when to swap batteries. It has a side load battery tray that you can pop open a tiny bit to use as an off switch for storage. I was thinking the same as some of the previous posters that a motion activated dot on a carry gun will be on most of the time anyway, and thats one more complication in the electronics. the RMS (updated Jpoint) is somewhat new and I took a chance but so far so good on about a year and 2K rounds. They advertise a great warranty as well.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Blue109 wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 1:13 pm They advertise a great warranty as well.
Products designed and manufactured by Shield carry a two year warranty on materials and workmanship.
Blue109

Post by Blue109 »

AZ1 wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 1:30 pm
Blue109 wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 1:13 pm They advertise a great warranty as well.
Products designed and manufactured by Shield carry a two year warranty on materials and workmanship.
They posted on both facebook and instagram during SHOT that they changed their warranty to 7 years on defects, and lifetime $75 replacement/repair fee for accidental damage of any kind.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bene-_QHsA_/

Just a bonus though. I bought it because its super low and compact.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Blue109 wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 1:13 pm I have a shield RMS on one of my pistols. Its an "ALWAYS ON" reflex and they advertise 2 years battery life or something like that. I left it in direct light 24/7 and it started to lose brightness at 6 months so I have a pretty good baseline on when to swap batteries. It has a side load battery tray that you can pop open a tiny bit to use as an off switch for storage. I was thinking the same as some of the previous posters that a motion activated dot on a carry gun will be on most of the time anyway, and thats one more complication in the electronics. the RMS (updated Jpoint) is somewhat new and I took a chance but so far so good on about a year and 2K rounds. They advertise a great warranty as well.
But it won't be on most of the time. An always on is on 24/7/365

A motion activated is essentially almost always on when you're using it. The rest of the time it's off. Most people I know don't shoot them more often than once a week for a couple of hours, so 2 or 3 hours of on time compared to 168 hours of on time for the always on reflex.

Big difference
Blue109

Post by Blue109 »

Im just referring to an EDC gun. Will be on the whole time its on your body. Still significantly less than a constant on dot, but a $3 battery swap every 6ish months was an acceptable price to pay when I was weighing options for the optic/features I wanted. Long as the run time stays consistent anyway. If I ever look down and the dot is gone I might change my mind on that.

A coworker came in the other day with a DPP on his new pistol. It was switched off. I asked him if he carried it that way and he said "yes, but it just takes a second to turn on".

I think we can agree thats pretty retarded.
Flash

Post by Flash »

That is retarded for sure.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Tell him to watch some Active Self Protection channel videos on YouTube. Maybe it will teach him.