Motion activated red dot sights

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
AZ1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Motion activated red dot sights

Post by AZ1 »

Are there any options besides the Sig Romeo sights?

Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Motion activated red dot sights

Post by Tim McBride »

Leupold Delta Point Pro
Multiple Holosun products
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Meprolight
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Hmm... have not heard of them, guess I got some reading to do!
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Tim McBride wrote: June 21st, 2018, 5:07 pm Leupold Delta Point Pro
Thanks I didn't know that.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

None of the Vortex have motion activation right?
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

Curious. Why would you want a motion activated sight when a Trijicon RMR that is always on and self adjusts to outside light can run more than a year on it's battery. Seems like just something more to go wrong in a sight to have to rely on an extra sensor.
Flash

Post by Flash »

superduty38 wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 8:59 am Curious. Why would you want a motion activated sight when a Trijicon RMR that is always on and self adjusts to outside light can run more than a year on it's battery. Seems like just something more to go wrong in a sight to have to rely on an extra sensor.
Don't know about the others, but the Romeo also has on/off buttons as a backup, so now it's a huge advantage as you end up with a battery life that is multiple years.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

For me the reasons are simple. I like different sights for different reasons.

The Meprolight had a larger sight picture than a Trij RMR, and works very well with a flip-to-the-side 3X magnifier. It is night vision compatable, has a 10,000 hour battery life on a single AA battery, and I can find a battery at almost any store.

The Vortex Strikefire II has red/green reticles. The green works better with my eyes especially on the lowest light setting for dark environments

The Holosun has a choice of reticles and solar charging that gives me a lot of options.

The reason I like the auto on/off of the Mepro and Holosun is that I always forget to turn them off. I put them in a case or in the safe with the sight still on or I will just put the cover on the optic to keep dust and debris off and not realize it is still on. The I pull it out, take it somewhere and the sight is dead. I carry several batteries along in my range bag because of this.

With the newer sights and auto on/off, I haven't changed a battery yet.
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

Interesting answers. I was looking at the sight being used on your EDC gun or the rifle you would grab as a self defense weapon. For just range use I can see any of them working. For an EDC or emergency self defense weapon having to turn the sight on after being completely off or hope it wakes up seems a none starter. Simpler is better. Way to much stuff going on in a threatening situation to have to remember to turn the sight on or trust it to turn on. I am using Trijicon RMR's, so never a worry about being on, it is always on and if I change the batteries once a year, still an easy solution.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

superduty38 wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 8:59 am Curious. Why would you want a motion activated sight when a Trijicon RMR that is always on and self adjusts to outside light can run more than a year on it's battery. Seems like just something more to go wrong in a sight to have to rely on an extra sensor.
Cost. I picked up the Romeo5 for a third of the RMR cost. I know it's probably not comparable quality wise, but for my needs it should work. It also co-witnesses with my iron sights. This video sold me on the Romeo5. So far the motion sensor has operated perfectly.

AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

I like the motion activation for a self defense gun. On non-self defense optics I usually remove the batteries when not in use. It is a bit of a hassle, but I've had more than a few devices ruined by leaking batteries. Another reason I don't want to spend to much is accidentally damaging. While the more expensive sights usually hold up better to abuse I would try to take better care of them knowing what they cost.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

My understanding and using actually using them...if you wear a motion activated red dot, on your hip and you move at all, the sight will stay on. Problem arises when you actually need the sight the battery may well be dead, since basically it is always on.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

delta6 wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 7:04 pm My understanding and using actually using them...if you wear a motion activated red dot, on your hip and you move at all, the sight will stay on. Problem arises when you actually need the sight the battery may well be dead, since basically it is always on.
I carried a Delta Point Pro equipped Glock as a duty weapon. 10 hour shifts. I left the sight on after shift because I had on call. Worked nights so it was maybe 3/4 brightness setting.
I replaced the battery after 4 months, not because it died but because I figured I should as a preventive maintenance.
SweetKnuckles
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by SweetKnuckles »

Pretty much what Flash said.

Romeo 5 can be purch'd for well under $200 retail - battery life is 50K hours = 5.7 years

I prefer Romeo 5X - runs on AAA battery instead of button cell or CR2 like other dots I own - 5XDR has a switchable reticle, but I found the 5X best for my needs.