Vortex Crossfire II scopes

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
nrs
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Vortex Crossfire II scopes

Post by nrs »

How does the Crossfire II scope quality compare with the rest of the Vortex lineup? Anyone try them out?

stomp442

Re: Vortex Crossfire II scopes

Post by stomp442 »

Vortex and quality are two words I will never put together. You are obviously not in the market for a high-end scope but I would look at similarly priced options from Nikon or Burris and get a much better optic. Natchez shooters supply often has Nikon and Burris optics deeply discounted.
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

Red dot or magnified optic?

I actually was going to buy the crossfire red dot for a 15-22 but ended up with a Sig Romeo5 for $30 less and it's really a Holosun so I was ok with it.

If you're talking about magnified optics, for the price and quality combination it's really hard to beat the Nikon stuff, especially on sale. If you are tough on your stuff vortex warranty is hard to beat but you are paying for it.

Talking new, not used.
John Kuhns

Post by John Kuhns »

I'm not sure sure. Some of the juniors are running them. And those kids are shooting well.

I picked up a Vortex Ranger series at Christmas for HP. I think I am going to like it.
nrs

Post by nrs »

As you surmised; not looking for anything remotely high end (or mid level for that matter). Putting this on a 17 HMR plinker, and don't really want to spend big bucks on glass or the rifle. I've had plenty of high end rifles and decent glass, but most of the time they spend life trapped in my safe. Hoping to get something that is just fun and not have to worry about working up loads and trying to punch single hole groups. Maybe take down some rodents off-hand and be able to see the results as I fire (no recoil).
Looking at variables around the 6-18 power.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I have been very satisfied with Vortex scopes. In fact, it is the only scope manufacturer I regret letting go in a trade, to a close friend.

For me, the bottom line is,... I buy what I can afford,... BUT,... ONLY FROM A BRAND THAT HAS A NO QUESTIONS ASKED WARRANTY WHICH IS TRANSFERABLE TO ANY CURRENT OWNER.

You may want to consider that point. :whistle:
Last edited by shooter444 on February 8th, 2019, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Burris , Leupold and Nikon all have a lifetime warranty.
It doesn't matter who purchased it.
I would purchase any one of those over Vortex.
My preference going to Leupold.
That's just my opinion, I know there are lots of Vortex fans out there.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

I have one on a Specialized Dynamics AR. Have only really shot it enough to sight it though.
epsilon
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by epsilon »

nrs wrote: February 5th, 2019, 8:33 pm As you surmised; not looking for anything remotely high end (or mid level for that matter). Putting this on a 17 HMR plinker, and don't really want to spend big bucks on glass or the rifle. I've had plenty of high end rifles and decent glass, but most of the time they spend life trapped in my safe. Hoping to get something that is just fun and not have to worry about working up loads and trying to punch single hole groups. Maybe take down some rodents off-hand and be able to see the results as I fire (no recoil).
Looking at variables around the 6-18 power.
Have you looked at Athlon? I have a 6-24(Don't remember the model) on my Savage 223 bolt gun and a Talos 3-12 on my Savage MkII FV SR. The turrets are very tactile, glass is good for the $ and they have a good warranty.
G34

Post by G34 »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: February 8th, 2019, 10:39 am Burris , Leupold and Nikon all have a lifetime warranty.
It doesn't matter who purchased it.
I would purchase any one of those over Vortex.
My preference going to Leupold.
That's just my opinion, I know there are lots of Vortex fans out there.
have you used Leupold or Burris Warranty? Our experience, Leupold IS NOT Unconditional! Burris was unconditional but took almost 2 months.
Ballistic Therapy

I have used all three over the years.
They were all sent back in a very reasonable time frame also.
Not sure what you mean by " unconditional ".

From the Leupold site
"If your Leupold riflescope, binocular, or spotting scope doesn’t perform, we will repair or replace it for free - whether you're the original owner or not. You don’t need proof of ownership or a warranty card, and there’s no time limit."
https://www.leupold.com/leupold-dna/lifetime-guarantee
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

un·con·di·tion·alDictionary result for unconditional
/ˌənkənˈdiSH(ə)n(ə)l/Submit

adjective

"not subject to any conditions."
Ballistic Therapy

I wasn't asking what the dictionary says , I was curious what his definition was.

I would think if you smashed it with a hammer they might not fix it , but I have dropped them before and they had no problem fixing them.
G34

Post by G34 »

Dropped it unintentionally But was his fault. There was a custom reticle so that was charged again. Which to me seems petty.
I stripped a pair of there rings. They said they would have to repair and charge me as well. Just my experience. So yes the definition is accurate. Vortex doesn’t care what happens. It’s just good info to get out there cuz many advertise but many don’t actually honor as there is a clause to everything nowadays.

With that said, the cross fires are cheap but will work if your not pushing the envelope.
Doc

Post by Doc »

stomp442 wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:03 am Vortex and quality are two words I will never put together. You are obviously not in the market for a high-end scope but I would look at similarly priced options from Nikon or Burris and get a much better optic. Natchez shooters supply often has Nikon and Burris optics deeply discounted.
I would disagree on their high end stuff.