Athlon scopes

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Azbuilder
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Athlon scopes

Post by Azbuilder »

Any info on Athlon scopes? They look interesting for the street price.

Delfuego

Re: Athlon scopes

Post by Delfuego »

It really depend which model you buy. You are really buying the company more that the scope. The Cronus line of scopes is pretty good and a good price. They are made in Japan at the factory that make's a lot of nice scopes. The Ares 2-15x looks interesting. For the low end stuff, I personally would pick Vortex, at least you know they will replace it when it fails.
samnev

Post by samnev »

The guys on snipershide.com seem to really like them. Especially the Cronus BTR iirc.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

samnev wrote: September 10th, 2018, 6:43 am The guys on snipershide.com seem to really like them. Especially the Cronus BTR iirc.
Forget the opinion of the people on "Typers Hide"
samnev

Post by samnev »

Delfuego wrote: September 10th, 2018, 7:20 am
samnev wrote: September 10th, 2018, 6:43 am The guys on snipershide.com seem to really like them. Especially the Cronus BTR iirc.
Forget the opinion of the people on "Typers Hide"
And why would that be? :?
lew

Post by lew »

I have two of their BTR Talos 1-4x's. Great scopes. Excellent glass, and the adjustments track true.
gooneybird1

Post by gooneybird1 »

I bought the Athlon Argos 6-24x50 BTR FFP model. This is my first First Focal Plane scope in 1/10 MIL.
It took a little bit of effort understanding MIL vs MOA, but it was not that difficult either.The scope is bright at its highest power magnification and the parallax side focus knob extremely useful when focusing targets at different ranges. I've had the scope for almost a year now and I have no complaints. I have the scope mounted on my Savage 110E in 6.5 Creedmoor and it's a tack driver. I am thinking of buying a 2nd one, to use on another Savage rifle in 22-250 cal. Excellent quality, awesome glass, great warrranty!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's a company started by some guys who left Bushnell. I have three of their scopes... one is the aforementioned Athlon ARGOS FFP scope and two are the Athlon ARES BTR FFP scopes. The entire Athlon line other than the CHRONOS model is made in China. However, both the ARES and CHRONOS optics seem to be highly rated for the features and price.

The customer service is the same model as Vortex. Forever warranty on everything, no questions asked. Those who have used it seem to indicate they are very responsive, and very fast to fix things and get your scope back to you, no different than Vortex.

The less-expensive ARGOS BTR scope I have is decent for the price. THe upper end of the magnification, say beyond 22 power is not very useful. My biggest complaint on these scopes is the eyebox. Seems to be very narrow. The ARES scopes I have are significantly better than the ARGOS scopes, but they are more than twice the price.

I've done tracking/ladder tests on mine and they all track true as far as I am able to test them. Other than for a .22LR plinker, I would probably stick with the ARES or CHRONOS line though.
outdoorplay

Post by outdoorplay »

Thanks for the feedback! I have been wondering about these scopes. It seems more and more people are starting new scope lines and contracting them out of China. I have a few old China made scopes that say they are MOA but track closer to mils.
Blue109

Post by Blue109 »

I did some long range classes recently. Couple experienced guys were using them. I dont know the model but im going to guess they were the higher end ones. Either way, I hit steel at 850, 1000, and 1200 with them. Glass seemed nice. Reticle was clean and not too busy. Easy to range with. Initial impression was positive.
BilJac
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by BilJac »

Wanted to chime in. Their warranty is worked well for me. Had one of their cheaper Talos scopes. The parallax adjustment got really tight and hard to turn. They had me send it in and ended up sending me back an new one in box. I had to pay shipping there but that is all.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

I have an argos and a helos and both seem to be quality
digger2

Post by digger2 »

i have an athlon 6-24 and like it, If you want to use it anytime let me know. I am in the west valley near sun city west
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Has anyone here used the Cronus BTR UHD?