Question About Adjustable Parallax Optics

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Delfuego
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Question About Adjustable Parallax Optics

Post by Delfuego »

Those are the same cheap chinese scopes as the PA scope. Just look at the tube around the erector assembly.

If cheap is the goal, just buy Vortex. That way, when it fails the will replace it.

mallic

Post by mallic »

I like how only a few people actually addressed the root question in the OP, and the rest of you just decided to suggest alternative scopes instead.

And to the people that keep suggesting 500$+ optics, I wish I had that kind of money rolling around. Unfortunately with my stack of bills, it would take several months of saving to buy something in that price range. Which I do plan on doing eventually, but want something to tinker around with currently. If the optic only lasts a year of hunting and plinking out in the desert, it's good to me.
428cj

Post by 428cj »

One more place to check out.
Parallax in Rifle Scopes

http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/p ... le-scopes/
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Harrier wrote: August 25th, 2018, 5:18 pm I've a Konus Pro 3-12x50 for a few years now. It is an older model with front AO focus and its been on various rifles but is temporarily on an AR. It's been a decent scope for everything I've used it for (mostly 200--300 yds) and I haven't had any problems with it. It tracks good and holds zero. It will probably go back on a hunting rifle as it has the standard a plex reticle with no ranging hash-marks, so its more suited to hunting use.
Nice to hear Harrier!!

My first Konus was a fixed 4X picked up in my small town gun show, many , many years ago for $50. I don't think Konus even makes them anymore. It has been on every caliber I own, from 223rem to marlin444 without a hic-up.

So when I decided to build a long range AR, I treated myself to a less than $150 Konus Pro 6-24x50mm, with an etched ultra fine target reticle, and a very nice 1moa illuminated center dot. It has the objective lens parallax adjustment I have never found of, but, I have learned to appreciate it. It has never failed or not been consistent,... which is something I can't say about more expensive scopes I have had with a side adjustment parallax knob.

Again, nice to hear someone else is satisfied with their Konus!

And to Mr. Delfuego,... sir, I doubt very much that the human eye can decipher parallax in a scope with less than 10x power. And I don't believe there is a machine that can measure the minute amount of parallax in a red dot. Even if it was worth measuring!

JMHO!! :whistle:
mallic

Post by mallic »

428cj wrote: August 26th, 2018, 12:00 pm One more place to check out.
Parallax in Rifle Scopes

http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/p ... le-scopes/
Interesting read. Doesn't seem to take into account potential aberration differences between FFP or SFP optics.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I read that article and at first though it was good info but at the end I came away thinking it was more of an advertisement or promo of their method of dealing with parallax- however it is interesting they don't show a picture of their scope along with the others. I know USOptics is a quality name so no bashing here just an observation that they are saying their system is best.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

shooter444 wrote: August 26th, 2018, 6:18 pmI doubt very much that the human eye can decipher parallax in a scope with less than 10x power. And I don't believe there is a machine that can measure the minute amount of parallax in a red dot. Even if it was worth measuring
Tell that to the bullet that missed...

I apologize to the OP. I was merely suggesting that it is worth it to wait and save more for a better scope. One that will work well and last.

Delfuego out
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Well I've certainly wasted a lot of $$ on cheap scopes and probably should have saved a little longer each time to step up in price point but now just write it off to experience.
Several of the cheaper scopes actually are pretty good for the purpose. I'll never get my money back out of em if I tried to sell them but they are good to stick on a rifle you are selling as a give away to help make the sale. Good scope will usually get you a good % back if you sell.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Harrier wrote: August 27th, 2018, 6:24 pm Well I've certainly wasted a lot of $$ on cheap scopes and probably should have saved a little longer each time to step up in price point but now just write it off to experience.
Several of the cheaper scopes actually are pretty good for the purpose. I'll never get my money back out of em if I tried to sell them but they are good to stick on a rifle you are selling as a give away to help make the sale. Good scope will usually get you a good % back if you sell.
Agreed, but, with one caveat. 8-)

Scopes from manufacturers that offer transferable, life time, no excuses, no holds barred :dance: warranties,... definitely have a very good used market potential. And there seems to be more and more of these types surfacing every year. Good old CAPITALISM at its best!

But, I have researched some pricey scopes I have been interested in, only to find out I had to be the original buyer, or else,,... and I, personally, just couldn't justify taking the chance on a sight unseen pricey used scope through the mail.
G34

Post by G34 »

Parallax is also referred to as Target focus adjustment can and will change your POI due to changing your POA or input into the rifle. The reticle and the target are NOT on the same plane and give a floating appearance. so youll think your dead square on with what your aiming at but in fact your not, your off center slightly. How much can that effect depends on the distance and then how youve changed yourself.

get in the habit of getting set behind the rifle and shake your head up down left rifle while adjusting the parallax.

try and stay away from the old parallax adjustments at the objective lense. there usually more course and they make your break position.

side note: the focus knob is only for the reticle, which is why we fine tune that against a white board or the sky.