Big Dot sights?

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Big Dot sights?

Post by Boriqua »

https://xssights.com/products/dxt2-big- ... ts-hk.html

My aging eyes just cant see the front sight on my HK p2000 and pickings for this gun are kind of slim. Think I want to try the big dot sights but am looking for some feedback from anyone that has tried them
Alex

QuietM4

Re: Big Dot sights?

Post by QuietM4 »

They are certainly big and bright, but you sacrifice pinpoint accuracy. Think of it as going from a 1 moa dot on a red dot sight to a 10 moa red dot.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

QuietM4 wrote: April 18th, 2023, 8:18 am They are certainly big and bright, but you sacrifice pinpoint accuracy. Think of it as going from a 1 moa dot on a red dot sight to a 10 moa red dot.
Do you think the dot would completely cover a 4in square target at say 7-8 yds?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Boriqua wrote: April 18th, 2023, 12:29 pm
QuietM4 wrote: April 18th, 2023, 8:18 am They are certainly big and bright, but you sacrifice pinpoint accuracy. Think of it as going from a 1 moa dot on a red dot sight to a 10 moa red dot.
They are quite large, but I don't think it would completely cover a 4" target. I just measured my Sig P365's X-Ray front sight, the dot width is approximately 0.120". At 21 feet, it covers about 1.5". XS Big Dot sights are 0.188", so if my math is correct it should cover roughly 2.3" at the same distance.

The XS Big Dot has always been about quick acquistion and hits at short distances...not accuracy at long distances.

If you want to go all the way, have Wright Armory install their i-DOT system on your P2000...mount an RMR on there.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

QuietM4 wrote: April 18th, 2023, 1:38 pm
Boriqua wrote: April 18th, 2023, 12:29 pm
They are quite large, but I don't think it would completely cover a 4" target. I just measured my Sig P365's X-Ray front sight, the dot width is approximately 0.120". At 21 feet, it covers about 1.5". XS Big Dot sights are 0.188", so if my math is correct it should cover roughly 2.3" at the same distance.

The XS Big Dot has always been about quick acquistion and hits at short distances...not accuracy at long distances.

If you want to go all the way, have Wright Armory install their i-DOT system on your P2000...mount an RMR on there.
Thank you! That helped quite a bit.
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

I had a set of XS Big Dots on a Glock and after a short while I took them off. That front was just to big for me. Even at 15-20 yards, all I could see was a center of mass ability to hit. Head shots not so good, but that just could be me. I prefer the 3moa dot on my optic.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Boriqua wrote: April 18th, 2023, 8:02 am https://xssights.com/products/dxt2-big- ... ts-hk.html

My aging eyes just cant see the front sight on my HK p2000 and pickings for this gun are kind of slim. Think I want to try the big dot sights but am looking for some feedback from anyone that has tried them
Alex
Alex,
Ever think about glasses??
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

delta6 wrote: April 18th, 2023, 5:32 pm
Boriqua wrote: April 18th, 2023, 8:02 am https://xssights.com/products/dxt2-big- ... ts-hk.html

Alex
Alex,
Ever think about glasses??
I wear progressives but need them mostly for up close stuff. I don't wear them outdoors. If I tried to use them for sighting at the range I would have to tilt my head pretty far back to get the sweet spot where I could focus on the front sight.

I don't want to get shooting specific glasses because I wouldn't wear them to walk about so I would rather practice, for an admittedly unlikely self defense scenario, exactly as I might find it and that would be sans glasses.

I do a lot of practice point shooting and it works well but not seeing the front sight is getting old quick. The HK seems to be the hardest for me. I pick up the sights on my p07 and my frakenglock much better
Matwell

Post by Matwell »

While I cant speak to the handgun sight, for what it's worth I've got a Trijicon RX30 with a 6.5 dot on a short long gun. I did it for the same reason (my eyes). It works well up close, but damn... target is somewhere behind that big a$$ dot at any distance. Depends on what your trying to do I guess
coltnut

Post by coltnut »

I cant see many front sights anymore clearly,especially red and orange sights.I have the XS Bigdot on a few guns but only installed the front sight.I use them like a traditional sight,that is i line up the top even with rear tops and place top of XS front sight on center target and can hit pretty dam good.
My 1911's have adjustable rear sights so i just dial em in.They work for my aging eyes.WHite Big Dot is what i use.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

My old eyes have started to do the same thing to me... front site is fuzzy... no matter what size, color, etc. This is what has me practicing with an RDS. I'm getting close to being able to acquire the dot quickly enough to begin carrying it... The Holosun 507C X2 has a 2MOA dot inside of a 32MOA circle... so far I like it. I like the idea of the big dot - but I don't see how it will change my focal point issue... and I'm not really willing to spend $160 on them to figure out that they don't work for me. :-)
WhiteDragon

Post by WhiteDragon »

Red dot is the way to go as we age. No work-arounds, even a fuzzy dot is an accurate dot.
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

I have XS big dot on 1 pistol, because it was the only night sight option for that model at the time. Wouldn't buy again. I much prefer the Ameriglo i-dot. White or lumigreen, don't bother with orange.

https://ameriglo.com/products/family/i-dot-night-sights
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Hooch33
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Hooch33 »

Had a set on a p320, it was fast but again precision it’s not