Any N-Vision dealers in AZ?

Discuss firearm optics, sights, and scopes here (magnified, red-dot, iron sights, etc).
Abbey
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Any N-Vision dealers in AZ?

Post by Abbey »

Following up from the NODS thread a bit ago, I'm thinking about buying a Nox-18 or Halo-XRF. At those prices, I strongly prefer in person deals but don't see any AZ dealers on their website. Are there any unofficial AZ dealers that anyone is aware of?

And maybe some general questions for those who've use them, like "if you could only buy one", which one? I'm leaning towards the Nox-18 since I feel like I'd use a helmet-mount or handheld scanner more than a rifle mounted scope, and can still mount it to a rifle in a pinch. But damn, that XRF looks nice. Off to buy a lottery ticket, I suppose.

Also, does summer heat in AZ throw off thermals? I'd think hot asphalt & hot block walls would mask other heat signatures.

G34

Re: Any N-Vision dealers in AZ?

Post by G34 »

Do you prefer thermals over night vision?
I went Pvs 14s due to parts availability and tnvc covers em for 10 years.

I think iray has the longest warranty in thermal department.

I’d recommend a dedicated location. Keep it on the helmet or just get a thermal to keep on the rifle. That way you have the best of both worlds.

The iray alpha has my eye
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

I don’t have more than cursory “that’s pretty cool” experience with either but like the fact that thermals aren’t sensitive to bright lights and a thermal scope is a stand alone unit not requiring IR lights or laser sights.

If I had the money, I’d get the Halo for a dedicated night rifle, and dual mount the Nox and a PVS-14. But for now I only have funds for 1. My thought was that the Nox would provide some situational awareness even if I don’t have a rifle mounted optic yet. Vs if I start with a rifle sight, I’d have to point my rifle wherever I scanned.

Do you prefer NV over thermal? If so, why? Most stuff I read seems to prefer thermal these days but they’re probably selling it.
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

I understand the desire to buy local if possible but places like JRH and Kosher surplus have been around a long time, have a good reputation, and will spend any amount of time you need on the phone to answer questions you may have.

What do you plan on actually using it for? Based on your post you're not going to hunt with it and it'll just be for target locating and ID type of situations then the Nox18 will serve you just fine.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

superdrag67 wrote: August 20th, 2022, 12:05 pm What do you plan on actually using it for? Based on your post you're not going to hunt with it and it'll just be for target locating and ID type of situations then the Nox18 will serve you just fine.
Correct, not hunting (although I'm sure I'll use it in the woods for fun and spotting critters when camping or whatever). Mostly just for situational awareness and target ID. For example, couple months ago, there were 2 loud rifle shots nearby at night. I couldn't see a damn thing. Now I wouldn't run out and engage a target as long as it stayed outside my perimeter, but I want the ability to at least be able to see & track potential targets and not just be standing around in my boxers at 1am wondering wtf is going on.

Buying local for me is more about avoiding "report this transaction to the feds" financial activity if I used a credit card. Also avoiding the hassle of having to clear large transactions with the bank so they don't think it's fraud & lock down my account. (Which has happened before.) Call me paranoid.